• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where do I get a decent tailored shirt in the GTA without breaking the bank?

addikt

Reaction score
I was going to visit JustWhiteShirts, I found them online a couple of days ago. I wanted to check out the Leslie location, but it was closed. Also, in trying to Google Maps it the address points to the middle of Leslie right before the 401. So, I figured I would rather wait and call than go on a wild goose chase.

I would order from an online vendor, but I've heard that they usually botch the first few shirts before all the measurement quirks are worked out. I know that some will allow you to go in and get it re-tailored to your fit and then reimburse you. However, I don't want to have to squabble over price differences or wait 8 weeks to get a payout if something is wrong. I would rather buy from a vendor with a physical presence. If something is screwed up in the process, I want someone to yell at that can't take cover from behind their phone.

That said, I might just take a trip downtown as if I go there I can hit up both IM-Label and JustWhiteShirts.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
are you looking specifically for MTM or just a fitted shirt (ie OTR is an option)?

what's your general budget?

addikt

Reaction score
As it stands I mainly purchase OTR from H&M, as sad as that sounds. I do it primarily for fit alone, as I haven't found any other label that fits me. I confess, I have found a few shirts there that I genuinely do like, however it still limits the number of options in my wardrobe extensively.

I pay standard fare for a shirt from H&M, the running rate being around $60 OTR. That said, I wouldn't mind spending up to $90 a shirt. Still, I'd prefer to go with one of the Korean or HK tailors if I can. Their ***** are substantially less, and I've seen their work; it's decent enough for the price. But, as I've said, I would like to get my measurements professionally done before I exercise that option.

I've also toyed with the option of purchasing larger shirts and then having them re-tailored, but from what I have read that it's usually not worth the time or effort. You might as well just go out and get a tailored shirt.

ktrp

Reaction score
Darts are cheaper, but cutting the sides and sleeves down costs $25 at Magic Tailor accross from the Eaton Center. If your budget is $90, that means if you see a shirt for 65 or less that you like better then H&M, its worth doing.

Pennyarcade

Reaction score
Originally Posted by addikt
Raoul: Yeah, no rush. Just let me know how it turns out, if you don't mind.

I've been meaning to give IM-Label a call. They don't list their hours of operation on their website, and I don't work downtown so I probably won't be able to make it there before they close.

Also, when I browsed the Lee Baron site, I check the listing of fabrics and all I can see is $450 almost every pattern available. That's a little outside of my price range.

Hi, I work for IM Label. We don't post our hours downtown since we operate by appointment only. Feel free to contact us to discuss booking an appointment.

We also have a location up at Richmond Hill that is a retail shop. This location is open from 10am-6pm, mon-sat.

Raoul Duke

Reaction score
I emailed IM Label a while back. Nice people, but the 3 shirts for $150 are made from the lowest quality stuff they've got. Expect 60/40 (cotton/poly) shirting fabrics and plastic buttons at that price point. MOP upgrade is $15/shirt. They did not specify what the cost of fabric upgrades are, or what is available. Not a huge deal, but expect to pay significantly more to get a quality product. A big positive is the complimentary alternations for 3 months after receipt of the shirt.

addikt

Reaction score
Yeah, I don't think I would be too interested in a cotton/poly blend.

Pennyarcade, where is the Richmond Hill location? I heard about it, but I don't see any address on the website.

Also, I might check out Magic Tailor. I have a few shirts that are unwearable unless they are altered. How good a job do they do? Is it rushed, or will they spend the time with me to make sure the fit's right?

Pennyarcade

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Raoul Duke
I emailed IM Label a while back. Nice people, but the 3 shirts for $150 are made from the lowest quality stuff they've got. Expect 60/40 (cotton/poly) shirting fabrics and plastic buttons at that price point. MOP upgrade is $15/shirt. They did not specify what the cost of fabric upgrades are, or what is available. Not a huge deal, but expect to pay significantly more to get a quality product. A big positive is the complimentary alternations for 3 months after receipt of the shirt.

Thanks for the assessment of our stuff. Our shirt fabric upgrades are not as bad as you may think: we offer 100% cotton upgrade for $10/shirt and higher grade cotton for $25/shirt.

Yeah, I don't think I would be too interested in a cotton/poly blend.

Pennyarcade, where is the Richmond Hill location? I heard about it, but I don't see any address on the website.

Also, I might check out Magic Tailor. I have a few shirts that are unwearable unless they are altered. How good a job do they do? Is it rushed, or will they spend the time with me to make sure the fit's right?

We are located at the Retail area of the sheraton hotel at Leslie and Hwy 7, unit 52. The address would be 670 Hwy 7 East.

If you decide to become a client of IM Label, you can bring in the shirts that you want altered and see what we can do.

Raoul Duke

Reaction score
Will do -- like I said though, it'll be a couple weeks before I can make it down myself due to my work schedule.
Stopped by today while I was in Mississauga. The fabrics on the OTR shirts seemed better than the ones available for MTM, which I found quite strange. I would have preferred for the fabrics on both lines to be the same, so it would be easier to see what a shirt would look like when finished. Despite this shortcoming, I went ahead and placed an order for 3 shirts. Price was $255. Overall, nothing too exciting yet. The shirts looked well constructed, with excellent pattern matching and stitching, but the options were limited. The staff I spoke to were very knowledgeable about fabrics and what else is out there. They just started earlier this year, so they are still working on expanding their product line. The gentleman I spoke to has some leads on Thomas Mason and Monti Prince Rose fabrics, so I'd expect to see something of a higher quality in the near future. They are working on sourcing upgraded Australian MOP buttons over their standard Oyster Shell buttons. Fully canvassed suits and sport jackets are coming as well for around $600 for a suit, with quite a bit of handwork. He mentioned that I was trying to source some Harris Tweed, which would certainly prompt me to order a sportcoat. My first shirt will be made over the next couple of weeks. Once completed, I will go in for a fitting and we will make some minor adjustments to the pattern and then have the balance of the shirts made. I'll keep everyone posted as to the outcome of my experience. On edit: Currently they only offer fairly basic silk ties, but they are going to be doing knit/wool/cashmere in the future.

Raoul Duke

Reaction score
Received my first shirt of the three today in the mail. I would say that the fit is excellent for the first go. I'm going to give it a quick wash and then post fit pictures over the next couple of days. Here are some pictures straight out the packaging:
IMG_7412.jpg
IMG_7416.jpg
IMG_7423.jpg
IMG_7427.jpg

addikt

Reaction score
Hey Raoul, I appreciate you posting the pics and I look forward to seeing the final fit. What was the damage after all said and done? Also, where did you get measured, or did you do that yourself?

I still haven't found time to go out yet, and I might look at Spier if the price is right. I went into IM label and was pretty impressed with their premium shirts.

Raoul Duke

Reaction score
Hey Raoul, I appreciate you posting the pics and I look forward to seeing the final fit. What was the damage after all said and done? Also, where did you get measured, or did you do that yourself?

I still haven't found time to go out yet, and I might look at Spier if the price is right. I went into IM label and was pretty impressed with their premium shirts.

The shirt was $85. I had them measure me at their shop.

ndw

Reaction score
The shirt was $85. I had them measure me at their shop.

I'm nowhere near the Toronto area, but that looks like a beautiful shirt at a great price. I would have chosen a french front (easier to iron), but that is solid deal.

Towers

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Doxe
There is Just White Shirts who have a shop in Scotia Plaza, and a main store at 1991 Leslie. I'd recommend going to the Leslie St. store. I've used them with decent results. Just make sure you specify how long you want your collar points, and how hight you want your collar. Prices are $10 to $140 for custom.

I've also used Marlon Durrant on Church St. Prices are closer to $400 per shirt. But the shirt is full bespoke.

Just white shirts sucks, I could have done better alterations at home.

Marlon is awesome and I believe he has a new MTM line that is less expensive, I cant recommend him enough.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads