• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoe polish on hands

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Does anybody here wear rubber gloves when polishing their shoes? I generally wrap a t shirt around by thumb, however the polish always bleeds through. My friend witnessed this and freaked out claiming some substances in shoe polish can harm you and blah, blah, blah. I say he is being a ***** and unless you are eating a block of wax a day there is nothing to worry about. I have even licked the spot on the t shirt where the wax builds up to get a good spit shine on the toes of my shoes. Am I taking the precautions too lightly, or are some people just wimps?

viator

Reaction score
I don't know about the health effects, but I do wear surgical gloves because otherwise the polich gets under and around my fingernails and it is very difficult to get out.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Yeah, I have had people in the office ask me about having a black thumb. I tell them shoe polish and they laugh.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I get a bag of cheap disposable rubber gloves similar to surgeon gloves at the hardware store. Polish really stains the skin and is hard to get out. Especially under the nails.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I shined my shoes last night adn didn't or never have used gloves. I just use a wash rag/polish and don't have a problem. If some does get on my hands, try soap and h20!

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
With all the toxins we are exposed to elsewhere in life I don't think shoe polish is a major concern. Having said that, I sometimes wear disposable plastic gloves when shining shoes just because it can be difficult to clean off.

But I generally shine my shoes in big batches, say ten at a time, maybe twice a month. I wouldn't don gloves just to shine or clean up one pair.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by harvey_birdman
With all the toxins we are exposed to elsewhere in life I don't think shoe polish is a major concern. Having said that, I sometimes wear disposable plastic gloves when shining shoes just because it can be difficult to clean off.

But I generally shine my shoes in big batches, say ten at a time, maybe twice a month. I wouldn't don gloves just to shine or clean up one pair.

Yes, I do end up shining tons at once as well. The more shoes I get I notice the less time I have to do other things after work like forgoing dinner and drinks with friends. This whole shoe thing is turning me into a recluse.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Raoul Duke
If you have acetone on hand, it should help.

Well, you are technically not supposed to get acetone on your skin either, so that seems counter productive.

Raoul Duke

Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
Well, you are technically not supposed to get acetone on your skin either, so that seems counter productive.

My bad, hardly read your post. I thought your concern was more with the color that bled through, rather than the potentially toxic nature of the polish.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i never use gloves and have never had to spend more than a few minutes washing polish off my hands with warm water and hand soap, as far as health i agree unless you eat the stuff as a snack while polishing you should be fine... then again i aint no doctor ask docholiday maybe he knows

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads