• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by L'Incandescent
ELdO Rossy de Palma today.
Tried that 2 days ago.
Originally Posted by TintoTerra
How do you like it?
My opinion - not bad but doesn't come anywhere near the complexity of the other good rose scents. Been on an ELdO kick the past 3 days 3 - Rossy de Palma - not bad but nothing special. 2 - Delicious Closet Queen - There was so much going on here that I didn't know what to think. Sweet and a bit cloying. Today - Jasmine et Cigarettes - I get a vanilla flavored tobacco scent. Sort of like someone cutting open a cigar and rolling the inside in a vanilla bean.

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
Tried that 2 days ago.

My opinion - not bad but doesn't come anywhere near the complexity of the other good rose scents.

Been on an ELdO kick the past 3 days

3 - Rossy de Palma - not bad but nothing special.

2 - Delicious Closet Queen - There was so much going on here that I didn't know what to think. Sweet and a bit cloying.

Today - Jasmine et Cigarettes - I get a vanilla flavored tobacco scent. Sort of like someone cutting open a cigar and rolling the inside in a vanilla bean.

To me, Rossy de Palma is roughly in the same category as Une Rose and Sa Majeste La Rose. That is to say, it's a very bright, sharp rose that emphasizes the stem almost as much as the rose itself. (Completely unlike the very popular dark roses that are paired with incense or oud, like C&S No. 88, Black Aoud, Noir de Noir, etc.) ELdO lists lots of notes, but for me the ginger is what really jumps out, making Rossy de Palma feel a bit cold and unapproachable. I like it a lot, although a bit less than the other two.

I've grown to like the DCQ more and more. The sweet note reminds me very much of raspberry lip gloss. The juxtaposition of that with more traditionally masculine notes is interesting. The name of this one actually does have something to do with the fragrance itself.

The best of the ELdO's, in my opinion, are Secretions Magnifiques and Encens et Bubblegum--I absolutely adore both of them.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
L'Artisan Tea for Two. This might be the next bottle I actually finish - although I think I got it in a swap with 30% left, so it's not like I've been using it like a madman.

TintoTerra

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
L'Artisan Tea for Two. This might be the next bottle I actually finish - although I think I got it in a swap with 30% left, so it's not like I've been using it like a madman.

I still have to try this! Gonna place another order tomorrow.

Thinking of picking up either Musc Ravageur, Vanille 44 or Guerlain Vetiver (or all three) at the same time, but can't make up my mind.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Ok boys, I just spent an hour looking around Lucky Scent, again, trying to finalize my sample order. Need your help. Add or subtract anything that you think might be worth trying:

Divine L'Homme Sage

Montale - Red Vetyver, Patchouli Leaves, Musk to Musk, Blue Amber

Lubin - Idole

Commes des Garcons - Red Sequoia, Incense Kyoto, Hinoki, Guerilla 2, Artek

Parfume Generale - L'Ombre Fauvre, Bois Blond

ELdO - Sex Pistols, Secretions Magnifique, Encens et Bubblegum

Le Labo - Bergamotte 22, Labandum 18, Neroli 36

L'Artisan - L'eau de Navigateur, Piment Brulant

Keiko Mecheri - Oliban

Mark Birley - Mark Birley

Frank - #2

Parfum de Nicolai - L'Aeu Mixte, Nicolai Pour Homme

Antico Caruso

willpower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok boys, I just spent an hour looking around Lucky Scent, again, trying to finalize my sample order. Need your help. Add or subtract anything that you think might be worth trying:

Divine L'Homme Sage

Lubin - Idole

Keiko Mecheri - Oliban

Frank - #2

Antico Caruso

You're bypassing the Amouages?

Hartmann

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lubin - Idole

Parfum de Nicolai - Nicolai Pour Homme

Really like Idole. NpH had a strange opening but grew on me quickly. It's very masculine, along the lines of Eau d'Issey or Terre d'Hermes.

List looks like a great mix.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Divine L'Homme Sage

Lubin - Idole

Keiko Mecheri - Oliban

Frank - #2

Antico Caruso

The Divine was quite good - both the original Homme and Sage. One of them reminds me of the Aramis/Azuree family of leather/citrus chypres, just done better.

The Montales I tend to exclude, only partly because of price.

Idole - I loved that one and srsly considering a bottle one of these days. Would like to thin the herd down beforehand.

CDG - toss the Hinoki and add Palisander - I really liked that one and occasionally regret throwing my decant in the swap box.

...the rest, I have no idea about but I might have a sample or two of a few of them lying around.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
oh, today...continuing the theme of rotating the herd: Giorgio for Men.

Dane

Reaction score
Ok boys, I just spent an hour looking around Lucky Scent, again, trying to finalize my sample order. Need your help. Add or subtract anything that you think might be worth trying: Divine L'Homme Sage add L'Homme de Coeur to this if you haven't tried it Montale - Red Vetyver, Patchouli Leaves, Musk to Musk, Blue Amber pass Lubin - Idole Commes des Garcons - Red Sequoia, Incense Kyoto, Hinoki, Guerilla 2, Artek pass on Artek Parfume Generale - L'Ombre Fauvre, Bois Blond add Felanilla ELdO - Sex Pistols, Secretions Magnifique, Encens et Bubblegum Le Labo - Bergamotte 22, Labandum 18, Neroli 36 pass on neroli, unless you like Ivory Soap, replace with Patchouli or Iris 39 L'Artisan - L'eau de Navigateur, Piment Brulant pass Keiko Mecheri - Oliban pass Mark Birley - Mark Birley pass Frank - #2 Parfum de Nicolai - L'Aeu Mixte, Nicolai Pour Homme add Le Temps d'Une Fete Antico Caruso never even heard of this?
Suggestions in bold.
smile.gif

Dane

Reaction score
Originally Posted by willpower
You're bypassing the Amouages?

Agree with this statement - Dia Man, Lyric (m & w), and Jub xxv.

TintoTerra

Reaction score
Montale Greyland today. After the initial cumin overload, it's not half-bad. It reminds me of Rose 31 sans rose. It also reminds me of cooking ground beef for tacos, but I'm going to ignore that part.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads