• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dining in Chicago on a Monday night

Xiaogou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I will be in Chicago on Monday the 13th and the 20th. Wanted to take my wife to Les Nomades or Alinea on one of those nights. It seems that the good places are closed (on Monday) in a lot of cities.

I went with L20 for the 13th. Any suggestions for the evening of the 20th? Was thinking about Tru but I've never been there.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Xiaogou
I will be in Chicago on Monday the 13th and the 20th. Wanted to take my wife to Les Nomades or Alinea on one of those nights. It seems that the good places are closed (on Monday) in a lot of cities.

I went with L20 for the 13th. Any suggestions for the evening of the 20th? Was thinking about Tru but I've never been there.

Everywhere you mentioned is excellent. Would go to Alinea for sure.

Xiaogou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SField
Everywhere you mentioned is excellent. Would go to Alinea for sure.

Sadly, they are closed on Monday.
frown.gif

countdemoney

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tru is excellent. You should definitely go if you have not been.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Xiaogou
Sadly, they are closed on Monday.
frown.gif

Ahh you totally did mention that too.

I think most restos are typically closed Monday.

Just look at the Michelin guide and go down the list. With the exception of the Kahan places, most of them are a good idea. I'd avoid Topolobampo. Publican, in my opinion, is absolute ****. It actually offended me.

If you must go to a Kahan place, go to Avec. It is well worth it.

Tru is great. Haven't been in nearly a year though. Graham Elliot, Schwa, Avenues... there's so many great places. Just find one that's open on a Monday.

rdaws

Reaction score
Lots of good things are closed - but, Boka's a good bet.

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hotel restaurants are always open on Mondays.

Four Seasons
Ria @ Elysian (just got 2 M stars)
Avenues @ Peninsula (just got 2 M stars)
Shanghai Terrace @ Peninsula
Nomi @ the Park Hyatt

Xiaogou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How is Il Mulino in Chicago? I love the one in NYC. Is Le Francais in Wheeling still open?

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Le Francais is gone. I've heard good things about IM, but I've not gone, despite it being a block away. I would probably go to Spiaggia for Italian. It's open on Mondays too, I believe.

ld111134

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ChicagoRon
Le Francais is gone. I've heard good things about IM, but I've not gone, despite it being a block away. I would probably go to Spiaggia for Italian. It's open on Mondays too, I believe.

I've been twice and it's "meh"...the NY Il Mulino is better. The Chicago restaurant is cramped - they try to fit as many tables as possible into a small space (the place was once a mansion) and the wait staff is overly-attentive to point of intrusiveness. I had their veal milanese once (which I regard as a benchmark for traditional Northern Italian restaurants), and I have to say that other places in town do the dish much better (e.g. Bice, Volare).

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Avenues is amazing and worth it if you have your lady with you...views are amazing and service is unreal.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads