• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cool The Kid

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by slack tide
-sweatpants Omg. sweatpants. Gasp. Despise. Who on earth would wear, and more importantly, why? Despise, despise, despise. -boat shoes Like seriously. Do they still even make boats? -loafers Ya. Lol @ loafers. I feel bad for some 9-5 schmuck who wears those POS's. -polos -hiking/work boots YES. This is a big one for me. I DESPISE hiking boots too. Like really, yeah, you're going to go "hiking" somewhere. Haha. Ridiculous. -clarks This truly takes the cake imo. Clarks? DBs? How ******* pedestrian. Stupid ******* broke college kids with no money to buy $300+ white high tops. Get the **** over yourselves.
Its one thing to disagree, a whole nother thing to... plebe? Dude says those are things he doesn't mess with... if you can make those items work outside of their specific purposes (i.e. sweatpants outside the gym, boat shoes on land, etc.) , more power to you. *EDIT* Also the more you entertain the back and forth the more you lose; that's the game

slack tide

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lane
agreed, I despise all that ****. while using macs
Originally Posted by Cool The Kid
Its one thing to disagree, a whole nother thing to... plebe? Dude says those are things he doesn't mess with... if you can make those items work outside of their specific purposes (i.e. sweatpants outside the gym, boat shoes on land, etc.) , more power to you. *EDIT* Also the more you entertain the back and forth the more you lose; that's the game
Fair enough, and you make perfect sense. It was his opinion and I unfairly used it to apply to a segment of the board. You should school uncontrol on the fact that sometimes logic is a more powerful tool than brief, vague, attempts at wit. But I remain with the opinion that the posterboy who stated he "despises" all of those items or "trends" as some call them is absurd and laughable.

Nil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Since when are boat shoes and sweat pants "trends"? Not trying to get all semantic on you - but sweatpants and even boat shoes may have existed before SF.com, or ****, maybe even before the internet. Maybe even before the word "trend" existed in the context of fashion. And no, they never went out of style. Thus your stated "trends" cannot resurface if they've never disappeared. You could argue boat shoes, but you would be wrong in my opinion.

LOLWUT. Before trends existed? So sweatpants and boat shoes existed prior to the first caveman realized his lion loincloth was fresher than his tribemate's plain deerskin loincloth?

Seriously, just think about what you wrote. Unless you were going to the gym or a frat brah/gal going to class in college, you weren't wearing sweat pants in public and thinking you were cool just a few years ago. To deny that high end sweats are a recent trend is ridiculous.

Same goes for boat shoes. Unless you're a WASP and regularly chill at your yacht club, you weren't rocking boat shoes just a handful of years ago. These rode in on the Americana wave hard and they'll ride out again along with the rest of it when it goes.

Yeah, you can argue that since people always wore these things they aren't trends, but you'd be wrong. Same with flannels and chunky Red Wings, yes construction workers always wore these, but you wouldn't catch dudes who haven't ever lifted a shovel wearing these things around the city not too long ago. Get real, homie.

GraphicNovelty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"It's not so bad being trendy everyone that looks like me is my friend."

Cool The Kid

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fair enough, and you make perfect sense. It was his opinion and I unfairly used it to apply to a segment of the board. You should school uncontrol on the fact that sometimes logic is a more powerful tool than brief, vague, attempts at wit.

But I remain with the opinion that the posterboy who stated he "despises" all of those items or "trends" as some call them is absurd and laughable.

Unc is an androgynous succubus who feeds off the energy of flustered noobs & occasionally offers good fashion advice... pay him no mind

Originally Posted by Nil
So sweatpants and boat shoes existed prior to the first caveman realized his lion loincloth was fresher than his tribemate's plain deerskin loincloth?

MY FUR SO SOFT... YOUR CLOTH STIFF LIKE SUN BAKED PUBES

brad-t

Bae Blade
Reaction score
:cue one word reply from uncontrol basically stating im a try-hard and to geez chill man internet serious business"
That's a lot to fit into one word, man. Also Nil's post pretty well explains how boat shoes and sweats are trends, sweats in particular; yes they have always existed but high-end designers and mid-market brands weren't putting out sweats as casual/streetwear items until recently; it was relegated to the domain of gymwear and FUBU tracksuits. You're just throwing a fit because someone "despises" pretty much a laundry list of things you like. For the record I don't think he meant "everyone who wears these items has despicable style"; more likely he meant "I despise these items in relation to my own personal style," and I think this is clear on the context, but you're reading a lot into the word "despise" so maybe it was miscommunicated to you. I would never wear any of those items either; in fact, my "never wear" list is much more comprehensive.

Cool The Kid

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
God damn, that is a pretty ****** cardi

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i think you're lying to yourself if you dont think boat shoes are trendy. Even 3 years ago the general public werent wearing boat shoes, but now everywhere i look people are wearing sperrys.

boat shoes might have existed for a long time, but that doesn't mean they can't be trendy.

KitAkira

Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nil
LOLWUT. Before trends existed? So sweatpants and boat shoes existed prior to the first caveman realized his lion loincloth was fresher than his tribemate's plain deerskin loincloth? Seriously, just think about what you wrote. Unless you were going to the gym or a frat brah/gal going to class in college, you weren't wearing sweat pants in public and thinking you were cool just a few years ago. To deny that high end sweats are a recent trend is ridiculous. Same goes for boat shoes. Unless you're a WASP and regularly chill at your yacht club, you weren't rocking boat shoes just a handful of years ago. These rode in on the Americana wave hard and they'll ride out again along with the rest of it when it goes. Yeah, you can argue that since people always wore these things they aren't trends, but you'd be wrong. Same with flannels and chunky Red Wings, yes construction workers always wore these, but you wouldn't catch dudes who haven't ever lifted a shovel wearing these things around the city not too long ago. Get real, homie.
This. Yes, hiking boots are great for hiking, but if you're in a city taking pictures of yourself for the internet you are not hiking, are you? Also, hilarious that you equate loafers with a 9-5 worker, because no other shoes are available, right?

slack tide

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nil
LOLWUT. Before trends existed? So sweatpants and boat shoes existed prior to the first caveman realized his lion loincloth was fresher than his tribemate's plain deerskin loincloth?

Seriously, just think about what you wrote. Unless you were going to the gym or a frat brah/gal going to class in college, you weren't wearing sweat pants in public and thinking you were cool just a few years ago. To deny that high end sweats are a recent trend is ridiculous.

Same goes for boat shoes. Unless you're a WASP and regularly chill at your yacht club, you weren't rocking boat shoes just a handful of years ago. These rode in on the Americana wave hard and they'll ride out again along with the rest of it when it goes.

Yeah, you can argue that since people always wore these things they aren't trends, but you'd be wrong. Same with flannels and chunky Red Wings, yes construction workers always wore these, but you wouldn't catch dudes who haven't ever lifted a shovel wearing these things around the city not too long ago. Get real, homie.

I always appreciate your postings, Nil, and you are normally very fair and level headed. And the above is testament to that. Thank you. And I agree with most of it, if not all.

I'm sure this conversation has been done, time and time again, and unfortunately here I sit as a ******* noob rehashing classical noob bull **** as a defense mechanism and as a result of being scorned on the internet.

But, I, myself, have been wearing sweat pants since I was a tot. And then to high school where I was borderline a "W" word, but I will say "gray boy", meaning a cross between black & white as it relates to style, music, and company. So I would wear my Nautica Comp sweats and velours all through high school, thru 2K, into college, and beyond. There was never a break and was happy when I learned of other brands such as w/h and r/c. Regarding boat shoes, call my bluff, but I have also been "boating" (unnecessary use of quotation marks) nearly my whole life. I have 8 pair of boat shoes beat to ****, 2 being Quoddy's. And I wear boat shoes for the purpose of not scuffing the surface areas of my ******* boat, among other reasons. Not to pair with skinny jeans. I don't wear boat shoes with long pants either. When I can't find my Quoddy's, I throw on my olive drab CROCS, FTW. I digress.

I live the lifestyle I dress. That may apply to less than 5% of the forum members here, but we do exist.

and p.s. I will rock a pair of RC's to a ******* job interview in a skyscraper. And get the job. And look better doing it than 95% of assholes wearing their slim fit chinos.

abbc1256.jpg

**** humble.

slack tide

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by KitAkira
Also, hilarious that you equate loafers with a 9-5 worker, because no other shoes are available, right?

I normally ignore your posts, because I've never heard you say anything remotely interesting (normally just you trying to be a subtle dickhead), but I just wanted to say the quote above is absurd and makes no sense.

But to help clarify, I believe loafers are a viable option for a corporate 9-5'er - in addition to many other shoe choices that would be socially acceptable in an office environment. If your head is still spinning let me know. If I am misunderstanding you, which is a very easy thing to do here on this site, kindly let me know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads