• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Weightloss Tips

GSquared

Reaction score
I'm in a weight-loss bet with some friends and have money on the line. If I can drop 15 lbs by Jan 5th, I get $300. If 14.9, I get zilch. I'm currently 6'5" and 223 lbs. Any helpful food or exercise ideas would be gladly welcomed!

not_a_virus.exe

Reaction score
since you'll only be doing this until january, sustainability is not an issue. with that said: 1. eat as little calories as you can. if satiety is an issue, vegetables are one of the least calorically dense foods out there. fat loss ONLY occurs if you eat below BMR. the greater the caloric deficit, the faster the fat loss.
yeahef.jpg
people are going to say you will starve if you eat too little, but they don't know what they're talking about. the purpose of body fat is to keep you alive when you burn more calories than you take in. people are going to say you need to pay attention macronutrients, blah blah blah - it's all bullshit. if you're able to handle a severe caloric deficit, it's possible a multi-vitamin could help ensure you get all your essential nutrients. 2. as for exercise, intensity or type of exercise doesn't matter - only the distance traveled does: calories burned = distance moved in kilometers X bodyweight in kilograms you want to travel more distance in less time? run faster. if you have all the time in the world and don't like pain, lower the intensity. GOOD LUCK AND LET US KNOW IF YOU REACH YOUR GOAL! IT'S TOTALLY DOABLE BUT IT WON'T BE EASY.

Gradstudent78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by not_a_virus.exe
since you'll only be doing this until january, sustainability is not an issue. with that said:

1. eat as little calories as you can. if satiety is an issue, vegetables are one of the least calorically dense foods out there. fat loss ONLY occurs if you eat below BMR. the greater the caloric deficit, the faster the fat loss.

No, fat loss occurs if you eat below total daily energy expenditure (TDEE).

not_a_virus.exe

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Gradstudent78
No, fat loss occurs if you eat below total daily energy expenditure (TDEE).
my bad, i'm so used to not recommending cardio so BMR is practically the same as TDEE, but since i'm recommending cardio in this unique situation, TDEE would be the more accurate term.

changy

Reaction score
Drink a ton of water before they weigh you the first time.
Dont consume anything before they weigh you the second time.

Scrumhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you don't mind violating the spirit of the contest a bit, you might want to consider doing what fighters do to make weight. I don't read bb.com, but go to this link and scroll down about 2/3rds of the way and read the section entitled "Water." The summary is that you drink a shitload of water for a while and piss like a horse. About 24 hours before your weigh-in, cut out water significantly. It will be a while before your body will realize this - you will continue to pee and drop weight. Pretty standard method for boxers/MMA guys to make weight prior to a fight. http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/mma_...&CJPID=4131337

not_a_virus.exe

Reaction score
Originally Posted by changy
Drink a ton of water before they weigh you the first time. Dont consume anything before they weigh you the second time.
haha, that's a really good one. borderline cheating, so don't tell your friends about this. make sure you also don't eat for like 24 hours before your weigh in. and *********** beforehand too!

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Emily: Andrea, my God! You look so chic.
Andy Sachs: Oh, thanks. You look so thin.
Emily: Really? It's for Paris, I'm on this new diet. Well, I don't eat anything and when I feel like I'm about to faint I eat a cube of cheese. I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Chop your head off???

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Master-Classter
Emily: Andrea, my God! You look so chic.
Andy Sachs: Oh, thanks. You look so thin.
Emily: Really? It's for Paris, I'm on this new diet. Well, I don't eat anything and when I feel like I'm about to faint I eat a cube of cheese. I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

haha i remember that.

GSquared

Reaction score
Thanks for the tips. We will see how everything goes. I'm pretty much just going to eat crazy well and run. We will see how that works.

OakCreekHitter

Reaction score
On the day prior to your deadline, keep spitting in a cup and get all that excess water out of your system....that will be good for a couple pounds. But make sure to hydrate intensively afterwards.

shibbel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by joshrego
Reduce the fat in Your diet., Diets too high in fat contribute to overweight and obesity. If people want to keep the nutrients in balance, they need to drink plenty of plain water every day. You can curb your hunger by increasing the intake of dietary fiber, which meets, so you feel full, but eat less. Don't wait to eat until you're so hungry.

Jesus H. ******* Christ. No, no, no! Link one legit study/article linking high fat diets with obesity.

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by shibbel
Jesus H. ******* Christ. No, no, no! Link one legit study/article linking high fat diets with obesity.

He's a spambot, he's not going to be providing you with evidence.

Raoul Duke

Reaction score
If you'd like to maintain as much LBM as possible, look in to getting the rapid fat loss handbook, written by Lyle McDonald. It costs, but if you search hard enough, you'll find what you are looking for.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads