• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

cuffs or no cuffs

KenRose

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I just purchased this suit on sale here in Canada and am going for it to be fitted tomorrow. I don't have any cuffs on my suits, but after seeing a picture of how sharp Spoo looked with his cuffs I'm thinking of doing the same. Two things though that give me pause.
1. The pants are flat front
2. I'm a bigger guy (6ft 210lbs) and I'm not sure if that really lends itself to cuffs.

I'd appreciate some opinions and thoughts.
Ken

IMG_2107.jpg

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I believe all suit trousers should be cuffed.

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
cuffs.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Cuffs ... for the 1,000,000th time.

rain_dog

Reaction score
Since you're in Canada....cuffs.

WallStPeon

Reaction score
No cuffs.

You're of average height and stocky (judging by your weight, no offense intended)...cuffs will make you look shorter when you want to elongate your frame. I don't cuff any of my trousers because I'm only 5'8"...I do no break on my pants and no cuffs; It makes me look taller. You'd probably want to do just the slightest of breaks on the pants for the same reason.

If I was six inches taller, I'd probably do a solid 1 1/2" cuff on all my pants, especially nice thick tweeds...but alas, that is not the case, so plan bottom pants for me...

anginaprinzmetal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^
I Agree.

rain_dog

Reaction score
Originally Posted by WallStPeon
cuffs will make you look shorter when you want to elongate your frame.

While I agree with you in theory, at 6' 210lbs, he's not really in any danger of being mistaken for a short, small man.

Plus, c'mon, that suit is just crying out for cuffs.

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
Another vote for cuffs here.

WallStPeon

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rain_dog
While I agree with you in theory, at 6' 210lbs, he's not really in any danger of being mistaken for a short, small man.

Plus, c'mon, that suit is just crying out for cuffs.

6' isn't tall, either...he's of average height with a thicker build, elongate the torso will make him appear taller and thinner...a positive trick of the eye. No to slight break and no cuffs will make him look taller and thinner.

Why is it crying out for cuffs? Because it's a peak lapel power suit? The peak lapels are more formal...do you cuff your tux pants as well? Why don't we have him get a six inch wide tie, red suspenders, and a contrast collar French cuff shirt while we're at it?

Gordon Gecko called...he wants his look back.

glenjay

Reaction score
Cuffs are less formal than uncuffed, just like brogued shoes are less formal than PTBs (the general public assumes just the opposite).

This suit is a dichotomy of style: a peak lapel, chalk stripe, suit. The visual weight of it calls out for cuffs, but the cut and style of it call for a cleaner cuffless pant.

I'm sure either would work fine, but that's just my opinion. I am much more knowledgeable on shoes than suits, so take it for what it is worth.

inter71

Reaction score
Originally Posted by KenRose
Two things though that give me pause.
1. The pants are flat front
2. I'm a bigger guy (6ft 210lbs) and I'm not sure if that really lends itself to cuffs.

Considering your frame, you should have no concerns to have cuffs on your pants.

However, one school of thoughts says that pleated pants should have cuffs and no pleated pants should not have cuff. So, this is one minor issue where you should put some thoughts, otherwise cuffs are OK in your case.

nioh

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dragon8
I believe all suit trousers should be cuffed.

+1

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads