• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The WAYWT Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

softy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Makeshift_Robot
Catching up a little hendrix - transition between color and texture of shirt and that of the pants is kind of off-putting, your shirt looks much more textured and substantial. Pastel linen pants + white suede brogues is full on Tom Wolfe geriatric easter bunny stuff though, especially with your hair/face/build it looks kind of strange. The shoes are extremely dope on their own though.
this is why i love it.
Originally Posted by Magician
im seriosuly considering putting everyone but Asobu on ignore for this thread.
you'd be surprised how zippy the forum becomes when your ignore list is dozens and dozens long. of course, it also makes some conversations feel like some kind of corps exquis.
Originally Posted by + theom
Hendrix, that last fit would be much better if the shirt were left untucked.
i like the little sloppy bulge. edit: oh yeah, you must be really comfortable in those getups, asobu. i wonder, do you wear something other than sneakers sometimes? how would it work with this ensemble? i like the softer direction though... massive boots would lend it a sort of gothninja feeling that i know isn't your objective. i'm still waiting for you to show up with one of these:
00210m.jpg
it would be the living end.

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by WhoKnewI
Every time you post, I try to figure out where in Bay Ridge the picture is taken.

LOL, this one's on 3rd and 91st, across from Little Cupcake

Originally Posted by AndrewRyanWallace
Good job taking our advice and adapting, this looks very solid. Other MC dudes should pay attention.
s.

Cheers ARW

scott.m

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by WhoKnewI
Every time you post, I try to figure out where in Bay Ridge the picture is taken.

I lived in Bayridge last year, 68th between 3rd and 4th. Best neighborhood ever if it was maybe 10 train-stops closer.

asobu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Berlin, you look amazing as always. Glad you post from time to time. Much obliged, fellas. Appreciate it.
Originally Posted by SPK
I love that Asobu. Is everything Yohji?
Thanks. Yeah, basically all Yohji. Wool coat is aw07, alpaca knit from aw04 and cotton/wool/nylon pants aw05. Sneakers are my go-to Y's, I use these with everything hehe.
Originally Posted by softy
edit: oh yeah, you must be really comfortable in those getups, asobu. i wonder, do you wear something other than sneakers sometimes? how would it work with this ensemble? i like the softer direction though... massive boots would lend it a sort of gothninja feeling that i know isn't your objective. i'm still waiting for you to show up with one of these:
00210m.jpg
it would be the living end.

Spot on. I'm at this point where I feel totally comfortable just by wearing this stuff, it's a different feeling from what I've had before. Almost like that Wim Wender moment from his film. Regarding the sneakers, currently they're the only footwear I have at my disposal (except for a sleeker pair of lace-ups), but I think I still would've worn them with this. I think people can make this stuff look great with more aggressive footwear, but like you said I'm rather going for a softer direction. In general I think sneakers and similar rubber soled boots/shoes (he did a take on this for ss08 and aw08) works really well with Yohji and I like how he brings the formal level down by the way he balances his cuts/details. Less formal is generally a better direction with Yohji. Not seldom does he pair more inherently formal set-ups (like standard black suits) with sneakers on the runway. Regarding that suit look you posted, I have those pants (actually posted them in an earlier WAYWT) and am still trying to locate the jacket in my size. Would probably wear with rolled up pants and sneakers, possibly. Will never reacher the swagger of that old man though. That look is one my favorite. While it looks a bit more formal - the fabric is a really elegant wool/cotton blend with a dry hand - he's stitched, in white thread, "Dr Y.Y." on the right sleeve and "Kamikaze" at the back of the collar, just because.
laugh.gif

lmaozedong

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IMG_0382.jpg
to get fuckin soaking wet in this monsoon geller prorsum jil apc y's

lmaozedong

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Uncontrol
jacket looks too big imo, even if intentional

its an overcoat, for like wearing over a suit and ****--its pretty slim even then, though.

softy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by asobu
Berlin, you look amazing as always. Glad you post from time to time.

Much obliged, fellas. Appreciate it.

Thanks. Yeah, basically all Yohji. Wool coat is aw07, alpaca knit from aw04 and cotton/wool/nylon pants aw05. Sneakers are my go-to Y's, I use these with everything hehe.

Spot on. I'm at this point where I feel totally comfortable just by wearing this stuff, it's a different feeling from what I've had before. Almost like that Wim Wender moment from his film. Regarding the sneakers, currently they're the only footwear I have at my disposal (except for a sleeker pair of lace-ups), but I think I still would've worn them with this. I think people can make this stuff look great with more aggressive footwear, but like you said I'm rather going for a softer direction. In general I think sneakers and similar rubber soled boots/shoes (he did a take on this for ss08 and aw08) works really well with Yohji and I like how he brings the formal level down by the way he balances his cuts/details. Less formal is generally a better direction with Yohji. Not seldom does he pair more inherently formal set-ups (like standard black suits) with sneakers on the runway.

Regarding that suit look you posted, I have those pants (actually posted them in an earlier WAYWT) and am still trying to locate the jacket in my size. Would probably wear with rolled up pants and sneakers, possibly. Will never reacher the swagger of that old man though. That look is one my favorite. While it looks a bit more formal - the fabric is a really elegant wool/cotton blend with a dry hand - he's stitched, in white thread, "Dr Y.Y." on the right sleeve and "Kamikaze" at the back of the collar, just because.
laugh.gif

Ah, yes. Those things languished on Gilt because, I imagine, everyone was creeped out by those details. I'm not sure that they add much, tbh.

But how can you emulate this imperfect dangling of milk and morning paper and journal etc.?? Will you stitch them into little pockets on the inside, so that they can be perpetually floating in a next-level sprezzatura?

The man looks like a nice version of Alain Delon, had he not porked out when he got older.

Alain-Delon.jpg

I hope you will continue to take cues from the runway styling and wear straw hats, newsie caps , etc.

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aeglus
asobu makes me wish i was over 6'

ok well actually a lot of things make me wish i was over 6'
frown.gif

+1. another inch taller and I could finally realize my childhood dreaming of being a male model...
frown.gif

avery

Reaction score
how tall are you magician? you seem very tall from your pictures.

asobu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by softy
Ah, yes. Those things languished on Gilt because, I imagine, everyone was creeped out by those details. I'm not sure that they add much, tbh. But how can you emulate this imperfect dangling of milk and morning paper and journal etc.?? Will you stitch them into little pockets on the inside, so that they can be perpetually floating in a next-level sprezzatura? The man looks like a nice version of Alain Delon, had he not porked out when he got older.
Alain-Delon.jpg
I hope you will continue to take cues from the runway styling and wear straw hats, newsie caps , etc.

I can see how people can be put off by those details, and I see your point too. I guess what they do is make sure they can't be used formally, haha. They sort of makes sense within the whole collection too, with the other prints of scissors/hands + the deconstruction of suits in various ways, I see the Dr YY stitch as sort of a "sign" of the tailor or something similar. I guess this whole collection was his take on an everyday casual wear suit. Every look was a suit, which I'm not sure he's done previously. I've seen another iteration of this jacket, but it was sort of a double breasted but one half of the front was dual layered so you could unbutton the top layer and have it hanging off (hidden pockets underbeath etc). That one had "chill" stitched on one of the sleeves. The 2 button version of this jacket had a pleated back. All details that makes them inherently informal. I'm kinda want to start wearing hats. Just gotta figure out a way so I won't get lynched for it..?
laugh.gif

lmaozedong

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by asobu
Just gotta figure out a way so I won't get lynched for it..?
laugh.gif

The way you take your pics, we'd never know if you were wearing a hat anyway
laugh.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads