• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jaypee
Anyone know where to pick up saphir shoe polish in Sydney?

I believe that Ethan was hoping to get some in at Herringbone in Sydney, but as far as I know, there's none there yet.

I, along with a few friends, put in an order with Valmour in France a couple of months ago, and it was very successful. Shipping was not cheap (about $50 overall, from memory), but we ordered at least 20 tins of polish, almost the same number of jars of cream, a couple of jars of Saphir Renovateur, some flat waxed shoelaces, some shoebags, and a few other things.

http://www.valmour.com/cleaning-prod...edaille-dor,43

The purchasing process was simple, the unit price of each item decreases as you buy more (ie buy one tin, it costs E4.86, buy 20 tins and it costs E3-something per tin), shipping was prompt and communication was good.

Highly recommended, and I don't think that I'll need to get any more polish for a few years.

Wrigglez

Reaction score
Sorry to drag the topic back to the suits in bars article, from someone that likes/prefers seeing people in suits personally, I hate people wearing them in busy nightclubs and bars, inherently these people are a bunch of duchebags that think their Barny Stinson and are somehow surprised when someone inevitably spills a drink on their $200 suit.
facepalm.gif

Yeah it’s a bit of shameless self promotion by the bars/nightclubs but its really 'from my experience' saving these idiots from themselves.
Suits are good for work and dinners ect, but not nightclubs. In a quieter/ more up market bar sure they would be great. First thing i noticed when I looked at the article was the guys shoes
blush.gif

edit: same news paper, did anyone see greg normans shoes, not your typical australians shoe thats for sure. looks a little cleverly to me.

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Journeyman
I believe that Ethan was hoping to get some in at Herringbone in Sydney, but as far as I know, there's none there yet.

I, along with a few friends, put in an order with Valmour in France a couple of months ago, and it was very successful. Shipping was not cheap (about $50 overall, from memory), but we ordered at least 20 tins of polish, almost the same number of jars of cream, a couple of jars of Saphir Renovateur, some flat waxed shoelaces, some shoebags, and a few other things.

The purchasing process was simple, the unit price of each item decreases as you buy more (ie buy one tin, it costs E4.86, buy 20 tins and it costs E3-something per tin), shipping was prompt and communication was good.

Highly recommended, and I don't think that I'll need to get any more polish for a few years.

I've got some friends in France who come back every 6 months or so - they could start a small business bringing in shoe polish. There must be at least 9 people who would buy it..

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One of my offspring often plays at PONY http://www.pony.net.au/.

They have a no suits and tie policy.

Its mainly a bar aimed at musos and they have found that a bunch of guys in suits and ties AFTER WORK put others off, don't come for the music and are often aggressive.

they wouldn't kick Nick Cave out if he came at 1 am but........

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Journeyman
I, along with a few friends, put in an order with Valmour in France a couple of months ago, and it was very successful. Shipping was not cheap (about $50 overall, from memory), but we ordered at least 20 tins of polish, almost the same number of jars of cream, a couple of jars of Saphir Renovateur, s

Sorry to tell you but I think you've actually ordered pate - online shopping can be difficult.

neyus

Reaction score
I contacted Avel a few months back providing them with an expression of interest to be an agent for the product. There was some initial interest but unfortunately I have heard nothing from them since. In the meantime just buy from the website that Journeyman posted. Prices are reasonable.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fxh
Sorry to tell you but I think you've actually ordered pate - online shopping can be difficult.

Hmmm.... that must be why I've been having problems getting a mirror shine on my shoes. They smell good enough to eat, though!
tounge.gif

johnannemarie

Reaction score
Originally Posted by incontro
- Which Aussies are you referring to?
All australians. It's becoming very warm in Perth, and I'm interested in what people are starting to wear now.

Selvaggio

Reaction score
Originally Posted by johnannemarie
All australians. It's becoming very warm in Perth, and I'm interested in what people are starting to wear now.

JM, you may experience some snark with this question as it seems a bit odd, as one need only look around to see what people are wearing. I don't mean to be rude.

What I think you are saying (and I assume you are new to our golden shores) is, given how ridiculously hot Australian cities can be in summer, men can't seriously be expected to wear normal business dress, so what do they wear when it gets hot?

I work in a fairly conservative environament in Sydney, and men here pretty much wear in summer what we would wear in winter - lightish weight business suit, shirt, tie etc. The will be some drop off in tie wearing. Less coats will be worn outside at during the middle of the day - but not much else changes.

It's strange really. There is not much seasonal variation in business dress to accommodate our climate. I don't know why we (myself included) do not wear half-lined suits in open weave fabrics as standard in the warm months. You really can't even buy something like that, even if you wanted to.

neyus

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Selvaggio
JM, you may experience some snark with this question as it seems a bit odd, as one need only look around to see what people are wearing. I don't mean to be rude.

What I think you are saying (and I assume you are new to our golden shores) is, given how ridiculously hot Australian cities can be in summer, men can't seriously be expected to wear normal business dress, so what do they wear when it gets hot?

I work in a fairly conservative environament in Sydney, and men here pretty much wear in summer what we would wear in winter - lightish weight business suit, shirt, tie etc. The will be some drop off in tie wearing. Less coats will be worn outside at during the middle of the day - but not much else changes.

It's strange really. There is not much seasonal variation in business dress to accommodate our climate. I don't know why we (myself included) do not wear half-lined suits in open weave fabrics as standard in the warm months. You really can't even buy something like that, even if you wanted to.

I often wonder the same thing myself. The colours are still always dark for summer and always fully lined in a very tightly woven fabric. There is very little open weave fabrics or alternatives to wool. Would be good to have some linen or cotton mixes thrown in as well.

Selvaggio

Reaction score
^ Yeah, you see those things as pretty standard in the American South and in Southern Europe. Why not here? It sure gets hot and humid enough.

Coincidentaly, I just checked the Brog and surfed to Rugged Old Salt - which featurs a wee video canvasing differnt ways of staying cool during the Aussie summer ( in a suit)...

Except for shorts, with a suit (which I just can't come at) all the rest makes sense, but we just don't go there in any numbers. I saw a guy at my office (for the first time) in a suit without socks the other day. One. And it was stare-worthy strange. I think I would just feel too casual wearing linen to work. May be it is just me?

__PG__

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Selvaggio
I don't know why we (myself included) do not wear half-lined suits in open weave fabrics as standard in the warm months. You really can't even buy something like that, even if you wanted to.
Because a suit is (sadly) used only as a corporate uniform designed to invoke power and appeal to authority. It isn't intended to be a useful and functional item of clothing. 99% of suits are worn in air-conditioned offices which is why you can wear all season fabrics all year round. It should be linen/cotton/open-weave wool in summer and flannels/corduroy in winter, with 'all-season wool (i.e. generic super 100-120's) used in autumn and spring. But people don't think about their suits in that way. Or clothes full stop for that matter. Bang a suit on Mon-Fri, wear Jeans and T-shirt Saturday/Sunday.

Tabaus

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Anyone here familiar with the brands "Raffaello Caruso" and " Lab Pal Zileri"?

Harrolds (Martins Place, Sydney) is having a closing down sale - up to 70% off. Quite a few are the Caruso and Zileri suits (About $2000 RRP).

Prince of Paisley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tabaus
Hey everyone,

Anyone here familiar with the brands "Raffaello Caruso" and " Lab Pal Zileri"?

Harrolds (Martins Place, Sydney) is having a closing down sale - up to 70% off. Quite a few are the Caruso and Zileri suits (About $2000 RRP).

Closing down eh? Wonder if they are re-locating to more suitable premises or if they have given up on the Sydney market altogther?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads