• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thoughts on Loake 253?

EricAngle

Reaction score
I need a new pair of black dress shoes. I prefer a modern look, particularly plain toes, and am considering the Loake 253. The price of those is £96.59, or $150.51, including shipping. It would of course be expensive to return them, which makes these risky. I gather that Loakes aren't highly regarded on SF, though I don't know why. What are your thoughts on these shoes? For the money, can you think of other brands that offer a better shoe in a similar style? Thanks.

SuitMyself

Reaction score
Originally Posted by EricAngle

I need a new pair of black dress shoes. I prefer a modern look, particularly plain toes, and am considering the Loake 253. The price of those is £96.59, or $150.51, including shipping. It would of course be expensive to return them, which makes these risky. I gather that Loakes aren't highly regarded on SF, though I don't know why. What are your thoughts on these shoes? For the money, can you think of other brands that offer a better shoe in a similar style? Thanks.

I've bought many pairs of shoes from Herring and I've always been happy with them no matter what brand. Their prices are very reasonable and the quality is extremely good, as well, for the money; plus, a lot of their shoes are handmade in England.

I have only one pair of Loakes from Herring (brown suede wingtip) and the country of manufacture was India. I'd much rather have preferred they be made in England but I understand that, for the price, that may not be feasible.

I'll put it to you this way: you can purchase far worse shoes for that same amount of money you're prepared to spend on the Loake 253. Personally, I would suggest you check out some of the other shoes available from the Herring brand and the Cheaney brand before you make a final decision. It's never a bad idea to spend a bit more money on some good shoes that will last you for years. Other than that, I say the Loake 253 look quite good and are a good value for the money.

EricAngle

Reaction score
Thanks for your input. One thing I noticed about the 253 and other L1 series Loakes is the lack of a full leather lining. Leather soles and heels (aside from some rubber at the bottom of the heel) are a requirement, but should full leather lining be?

At a lower price point ($118.99 with 15% off), and much cheaper (free) to return if needed, are these Cole Hann Alex Plains. Cole Haans also don't get much SF love. Would you categorize these as "far worse" than the Loake 253s?

SuitMyself

Reaction score

Thanks for your input. One thing I noticed about the 253 and other L1 series Loakes is the lack of a full leather lining. Leather soles and heels (aside from some rubber at the bottom of the heel) are a requirement, but should full leather lining be?

At a lower price point ($118.99 with 15% off), and much cheaper (free) to return if needed, are these Cole Hann Alex Plains. Cole Haans also don't get much SF love. Would you categorize these as "far worse" than the Loake 253s?

I'd much rather you go with the Loakes 253 than with the Cole Haan. Loakes is better quality than Cole Haan.

rain_dog

Reaction score

I'm not totally sure of this, but I believe any shoe on the Herring site that has polished leather is going to be corrected grain, which doesn't last or wear as well as the calf leathers. The latter are going be more expensive, but will be noticeably better shoes. Maybe something like the Herring Finchley?

Also, the 253 looks like it has a wide last (G fitting), so unless you have wide feet, you probably want something else (the 205 maybe?).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads