• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is John Frusciante the best guitarist of his generation?

origenesprit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Albern
Well if we're going to limit ourselves to a generational analysis of guitarists I would rank the following from best to worst: - Johnny Greenwood & Derek Trucks (completely different styles though) - John Mayer (but I'm not a fan of his work anymore + he's overrated + is very limited to blues music) - John Frusciante Is there anyone else that could be added to the list? This is based on level of formal education and what they can churn out in both the composing process and what they are able to do live. Below is footage of Trucks, Mayer and Frusciante playing for a Rolling Stones cover shoot; Frusciante can't even keep up with the other two.
This is a good list, but Jack White is up there. I mean, the guy can keep up with Page (or at least much better than The Edge can).
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

Roy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What about John Petrucci?

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
oh ****. i just came in here to post john petrucci. been listening to them forever.

and +1 on tommy emmanuel. one of my favorite guitarists

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Roy
What about John Petrucci?

My guitar teacher tells me he's friends with John Petrucci and reveres his work, both from a playing and compositional perspective.

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can't stand the ******* Chili Peppers (this may be a generational/reverse nostalgia thing more then anything else) but I love Frusciante.

embowafa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Magician
I can't stand the ******* Chili Peppers (this may be a generational/reverse nostalgia thing more then anything else) but I love Frusciante.

Hate RHCP, but love Frusciante? That's....odd.

<-----big fan of both.

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by embowafa
Hate RHCP, but love Frusciante? That's....odd. <-----big fan of both.
Umm he has a rich body of solo work? Also it's entirely possible to like one element of a group and not the others....

embowafa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Magician
Umm he has a rich body of solo work? Also it's entirely possible to like one element of a group and not the others....

No, I get it...I've just never heard anyone express such a distaste for one and appreciation for the other. The fact that you feel that way isn't odd...just the infrequency with which I hear it is.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
oddly enough, I have all of Frusciante's solo albums except for the latest

gort

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Alex Lifeson is a perfect example of a guitarist who may not be the ultimate speed shredder but writes guitar parts that always seem perfect for the song in every way.

Blackfyre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
jonny lang

peepwall[1].gif

rennavate

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
J. Mascis. Johnny Greenwood. And *******, Johnny Marr &gt; fuckhead wankers like John Mayer. I'm sorry, playing ridiculous wanky guitar solos doesn't make you a great guitarist.

origenesprit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gfreeman
J. Mascis. Johnny Greenwood. And *******, Johnny Marr > fuckhead wankers like John Mayer. I'm sorry, playing ridiculous wanky guitar solos doesn't make you a great guitarist.

It doesn't?

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hendrix
Hate Petrucci, hate Dream Theater.

Personally i find Ben Weinman's playing pretty great.

Are your going by early Dream Theater or recent Dream Theater? My teacher convinced me to get their latest one, which I think was far inferior to Awake. Awake was pretty damn good IMHO.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads