• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do photoskillz make for better WAYW fits?

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I wonder: To what extent does the quality of the actual photography really "make" the photo, and lend credit to a fit that otherwise either wouldn't be as good, or alternatively take a solid look and make it look mediocre/bad because of a bad photo? As I look at certain WAYW posters like Berlin Report, Mellow Fellow, Aeglus, etc and then in contrast guys like Kunk, Hendrix, and nicelynice, while both groups often have interesting fits and styles, the first group has way better pictures. It's easier to see the fit, colors, textures, etc and the second group probably doesn't get as much credit as they deserve. I find I always love the pics from Mellow Fellow, or Berlin Report, but I wonder how much of that is just really nice crisp photos with good, but not really excellent styles. An alternatively, i suspect that guys like Magician or Fuji, or a million other guys would have more praise if they had better pics.

lmaozedong

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Master-Classter
As I look at certain WAYW posters like Berlin Report, Mellow Fellow, Aeglus, etc and then in contrast guys like Kunk, Hendrix, and nicelynice, while both groups often have interesting fits and styles, the first group has way better pictures. It's easier to see the fit, colors, textures, etc and the second group probably doesn't get as much credit as they deserve.

uhoh.gif

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
MEh, I had a feeling people were going to jump on the specific posters mentioned but to not point out anyone in particular would have made this all way too theoretical. You got better examples of each group?

inter71

Reaction score
Great point!!! overall, attention to details (quality pictures) would definietly change some SFers perception.

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some details look better in pictures, than they do in real life.

I also think the WAYWN can be more about making pictures than poasters seem to realize.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Let me get this straight: a thoughtfully-composed photo in which the viewer can more readily discern finer details makes for a better visual and critical experience than a photo that appears more like a Mescaline-inspired portrait drawn by Hellen Keller on an Etch-a-Sketch than some dude wearing J Crew in front of his bathroom mirror that hasn't been cleaned since the Taft administration?
scanners4.jpg

Kvc06

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Absolutely makes a HUGE difference

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
What I'm alluding to is if really great photography actually gives people credit way beyond the true quality of what they're wearing (Ie are people always praising Berlin and Mellow because of great photos), and on the oposite side are there posters who probably look way better in real life by their photos let them down so nobody gives them any credit (like Fuji or even Kvc06 sometimes)

XeF4

Reaction score
Yep. I think a lot of people spend too much time on getting the right background, making sure the lighting is right, looking away from the camera at the perfect angle, ect, ect to get the perfect photo. But it does provide good pictures, which are good for deciding what you like and what you don't like better.

Kvc06

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Everyone looks better in real life I'd be willing to bet.
Photo has so much to do with it.
In a photo most people look so unnatural and the garments aren't in action so it probably looks much worse.

macuser3of5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whodini
Let me get this straight: a thoughtfully-composed photo in which the viewer can more readily discern finer details makes for a better visual and critical experience than a photo that appears more like a Mescaline-inspired portrait drawn by Hellen Keller on an Etch-a-Sketch than some dude wearing J Crew in front of his bathroom mirror that hasn't been cleaned since the Taft administration?

scanners4.jpg

could you post a clearer image? kind of hard to see brain details
confused.gif

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
or on the MC side, there's guys like NYRanger who's pic quality isn't anything special but the context makes the shot. Then guys like UrbanComposite who has "styled" photos that sometimes probably distract from the actual fit. Then guys like Foo whose shots are great in terms of photography, but also so stark in context that they almost detract from the clothes. Then Cravate_Noire and LabelKing where the shots are nothing special but the lifestyle makes the clothes matter half as much, even though they're actually at the top of the game. Or what about Phat Guido, he seems to have a mix of high lifestyle and great clothes and great photography, so is he the whole package or do his photo skills give him more credit then he deserves?

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Uncontrol
4/10 -- tried too hard there who
Maybe my post needed more Fair Isle vest?
Originally Posted by Master-Classter
What I'm alluding to is if really great photography actually gives people credit way beyond the true quality of what they're wearing (Ie are people always praising Berlin and Mellow because of great photos), and on the oposite side are there posters who probably look way better in real life by their photos let them down so nobody gives them any credit (like Fuji or even Kvc06 sometimes)
foo.gif

Berlin and Mellow are two users who people praise because of fits and then photography. There are plenty of other users that are much loved with much average photography skills.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads