• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I'm Done With Poor Quality Shoes

Cuttingboard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been reading this forum for several weeks and its been a wealth of information so I thought I would like to join the discussion. Someone from the Badger and Blade forum directed me to you guys.

Today, I laid out several pairs of shoes to clean and shine and noticed that a pair of my Cole Haan cap toes have a cut along the toe area where the shoe bends. It looks as though a knife was used to cut along the bend of the shoe. I'm puzzled because this cant be normal? I've had these shoes maybe three years and I always insert shoe trees after wearing and alternate with other pairs of shoes throughout the work week.

This is my third pair of Cole Haan's this year where something has gone wrong with the leather. First, it was tiny bubbles in the toe crease, the second was the leather soles wearing thin very quickly and now the cut along the crease area. I realize that Cole Haan's are not not one of the most expensive shoes but for $300 a pair, I thought that they were better made than this. I'm ready to turn the corner and give some of these to goodwill.

Prior to seeing all the beautiful shoes on this thread, I thought of English shoes as being for old men banker types and void of style. Now, I'm thinking that I may begin replacing my shoes with Alden, Alfred Sargent, or Crockett and Jones, etc. I did some research and found several shoe stores in my area (Washington DC) that I want to visit in the next several weeks; Alden, Allen Edmond's and Sky Valet Shoes. I remember that there was a Church's shoe store downtown but I believe they closed.

Also, I've looking at shoes on Leffot and the Leather Souls website and Facebook page their shoes are absolutely stunning! I wish I was closer to them so that I could order shoes from those guys.

Sorry for the long post but I have another question, I see tons of post describing shoes and "lasts" and I would like to know where I can find more information of "lasts" and how it determines shoe fit, etc.?

Thanks

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
very wise.

You determine whether a shoe (hence made from a particualr last) fits by taking your feet along and trying the product. There is no such thing as a paper exercise to determine what fits YOUR feet.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
No need for special font newb!

Vecna

Reaction score
It's Sky Valet spam. He did the same thing in SW+D.

Cuttingboard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Vecna

You suggested that I move to another section...
biggrin.gif

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Don't gI've those Cole Haans to Goodwill, throw them in the trash where they belong. There's no reason to inflict that garbage on other innocent victims.

Vecna

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gladhands
This is really, really good
spam[1].gif

The spiciest and the hammiest. I mean if this is genuine I'm not sure what you want us to say. Awesome! Congratulations! We're behind you! +1 thread Either way I'm against people introducing themselves by making a thread. If you are indeed some nice guy with a shoe passion then I don't mean offense, but there are better ways of going about this. If this is just a blown-up question about lasts then it belongs in the ask a question thread.

Philip1978

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by harvey_birdman
Don't gI've those Cole Haans to Goodwill, throw them in the trash where they belong. There's no reason to inflict that garbage on other innocent victims.

lol8[1].gif

mishon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cuttingboard
I realize that Cole Haan's are not not one of the most expensive shoes but for $300 a pair, I thought that they were better made than this.
You spent $300 on a pair of Cole Haans?

Cuttingboard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mishon
You spent $300 on a pair of Cole Haans?
I paid $300 on several pair of wingtips and have not had a single problem with them; bought them out of college 12 years ago, Pre-Nike. In the past 18 months, I've bought 6 pair of Cole Haan's and have had problems with 3 of them as noted above. The shoes retailed for $300 but I bought them for half-off on their website. I always thought of Cole Haan as being a middle of the road shoe but much better than a majority of the shoes that people at my office wear. Cole Haan's fit my feet well and I like the Nike Air insoles. Now that they are failing on me and I'm having to replace, I would prefer to replace with a shoe that's going to last until I retire in 30 years.

viator

Reaction score
+1 thread

Either way I'm against people introducing themselves by making a thread. If you are indeed some nice guy with a shoe passion then I don't mean offense, but there are better ways of going about this. If this is just a blown-up question about lasts then it belongs in the ask a question thread.

That's cold.
eh.gif

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I don't think Sky Valet particularly need to spam this forum, nor do I suspect they're the type of company who would do.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads