• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by willpower
Rose 31 won

Did it face the best competition, though? I won't accept the legitimacy of its championship until it defeats Rose Poivree, Une Rose, and Sa Majeste La Rose.
smile.gif

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Today: Amber Absolute for a chilly, overcast day.

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Elixir des Merveilles today.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Oh, I just wanted to thank you guys for those who put some samples aside for me. Thanks!!!

today - I layered Terre D'Hermes and Guerlain Homme. Not bad, not bad at all.

TintoTerra

Reaction score
C&S 88 today. Rather pleasant this time around. I like that it stays close to my skin.

Britalian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone here use Knize Ten regularly? I'll be in Milan at xmas and wondering what it retails at, and significantly, what it's like.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Britalian
Anyone here use Knize Ten regularly? I'll be in Milan at xmas and wondering what it retails at, and significantly, what it's like.
Hmmm, not sure how easily you'll find it there, but it should be easier than over here. Anyway, Knize Ten is an old-school masculine, which means floral/leather, and loud. Could tip over into 'stodgy' and ought never be worn with t-shirts. Try before you buy, and apply lightly. And, FWIW, it took me a few tries to come around to this - at first I could not scrub it off fast enough. you'll notice: soapy/powdery, carnation, cloves, other spices, maybe some orange peel. Hours later you should have a spicy ambery leather with a strawberry note buried underneath.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
So - today...Knize Ten. It's cold out there.

Britalian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
Hmmm, not sure how easily you'll find it there, but it should be easier than over here. Anyway, Knize Ten is an old-school masculine, which means floral/leather, and loud. Could tip over into 'stodgy' and ought never be worn with t-shirts. Try before you buy, and apply lightly. And, FWIW, it took me a few tries to come around to this - at first I could not scrub it off fast enough.

you'll notice: soapy/powdery, carnation, cloves, other spices, maybe some orange peel. Hours later you should have a spicy ambery leather with a strawberry note buried underneath.

Mazzolari is the only place to find in IT, I believe. Thanks for the comprehensive info.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
with a strawberry note buried underneath.

Aha! Just as I suspected. I remember there being a rasberry note in Ford's Tuscan Leather and then when I jsut sampled Knize 10 I thought I was getting some sort of sweet fruitiness but questioned if it was a sort of memory flashback of the Ford one. Okay okay, interesting.

do you think without that little sweetness it would have been too dry or robust or something? I notice that fruit and leather isn't too uncommon - Michael Kors, Lutens Daim Blond, and then TF TL plus K10.

Today - Givenchy Very Irrisistable Fresh Attitude (try not to snicker). It had a very brief grapefruit and mint opening (like a few seconds), then moved into a sort of mocha like thing. a very nice contrast actually, now it's a subtle chocolately thing.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Well, I generally take Luca Turin's word on it when he says that the really compelling scents have something a little deliberately off-kilter with them. Opium and the bubblegum note, for instance. I don't think that leather without fruit would be unwearable, although I don't think it would be compelling without something else to balance it out. Lots of scents are a combination of elements between which you find a wearable balance: the fougere (lavender + vanilla), the chypre (bergamot, labdanum, oakmoss), orientals (clove, patchouli, opoponax, etc), and even the gourmands with their chocolate/coffee/floral mix.
I think that fruity leathers are just easier to wear for the current style: nothing too formal or stuffy.

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
ELdO Rossy de Palma today.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads