• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Albatross

Reaction score
What is everyone's thought on applying mink oil to a pair of new Indy's? I'm planning on wearing them in the rain and snow so I want something that will protect them pretty well. They are the darker J. Crew model so I'm not sure how much the mink oil will actually darken them--I'm hoping not much.

shasta

Reaction score
One month and no word from Alden on when I'll see my beefrolls. I get that it doesn't happen overnight but an estimate would sure make me more comfortable....

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those Ravello captoes are epic. The grant is an underrated last, very neutral and classic.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
pitt boots look great

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Albatross
What is everyone's thought on applying mink oil to a pair of new Indy's? I'm planning on wearing them in the rain and snow so I want something that will protect them pretty well. They are the darker J. Crew model so I'm not sure how much the mink oil will actually darken them--I'm hoping not much.

Try Obenauf's.

Odd I/O

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Albatross

Discussion on mink oil here.

One person's opinion on Obenauf.
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
Obenauf is good for tough boots you don't want to shine. I wouldn't recommend it for fine leathers. I ruined a pair of Barker Blacks with this stuff. It is so oily and waterproof that it literally destroyed the finish of the shoes. They are bulletproof to everything, but they have that oily, matte look to them and will not shine. I have tried everything from acetone, to lighter fluid, I even held a flame to them, nothing will get the oil out of the pores. I sent them to Ron Rider and he was even stumped. So basically, Obenauf is amazing stuff if you don't care about finish.

So Trini, I wouldn't use it on these boots, just Saphir Reno now and again and wax polish.

Sno-Seal recommended for better quality shoes.

Originally Posted by Wes Bourne
Trini, don't doubt the Sno Seal. Fwiw, I've also treated calfskin dress shoes with the stuff. It's made from beeswax (no animal fats) and you can polish over it. Instead of preheating your boots in the oven, I'd recommend working in a very small amount of Sno Seal and briskly running a hair dryer allover the surface. Allow to cool, wipe off excess and repeat a second application if necessary. Follow that with your usual application of wax if you wish (product does not interfere with wax polish).

sockpuppets

Reaction score
I used obenauf's on Leather Soul's Chromex Aldens. Turned out just fine. YMMV I suppose.
v2vhR.jpg

LeatherSOUL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dexter_
Who dis???
laugh.gif
dsc0001j.jpg
Took a pic of the ad in the mall the other day.

Can I set the record straight? I asked PG's permission before hand and he obviously agreed. I did not just steal that picture of him and use it, he gave it to me to use. Thanks. Back to Aldens...

Todd V

Reaction score
Shasta, which beefrolls did you order? Sherman brothers just got
me a pair of H410s in about a week.

blue collar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sockpuppets
I used obenauf's on Leather Soul's Chromex Aldens. Turned out just fine. YMMV I suppose.

v2vhR.jpg

Those are honestly one of my dream boots. I missed the boat on them this round!!!

Do you have any more pics that you can share? Truly beautiful.
worship.gif

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
I've used Obenauf's on my Alden Indys multiple times with no problems. I've used it on other shoes, too, never with any problems. I have polished them afterward as well (after letting the Obenauf's soak in and wiping the shoes off and buffing). I've used the oil, not the Heavy Duty LP, although I wouldn't hesitate to use it.

It sounds like it may be an issue with those Barker Blacks.

MichaelPemulis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can someone help me ID these? I purchased them off the bay, and am not sure what they actually are. I am considering getting them resoled, as there is some wear on the heels which makes them feel funny as they aren't worn like I was walking in them (lol). At any rate, was hoping that someone could let me know what they actually are. Appreciate the help in advance.
P1000956.jpg
P1000957.jpg
P1000959.jpg

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those would be some Alden 4182s, maybe ten years old. Love the off-centered medallion on the right boot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads