• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
^ they really should just go ahead and make an M7 now, though. One would think they would've made an M7 before the X5/6M, anyway, and they've got the M car formula down now so well that making one would be as easy as anything else.

rocks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No need for an M7 when Alpina B7's are available....

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
The B7 is nice as ****, and I've seen the F01 Alpina in person, but isn't as powerful or as aggressive looking as I'd expect an M7 to be, tbh. I'd expect an M7 to be at least 600hp, if not 650hp, and enough torque to swish it around town. Logically, that'd be a direct injection V12TT with twin scroll turbos on each bank, i.e. two N55's mated at the crank for about 6 liters - a recipe BMW has always basically followed when making V12's.
It'd need forged 21"+ wheels, a bespoke M aero and maybe fender treatment, M'ing of the interior, everything that would make it look like a $150-200,000 BMW should. It'd sell well, I think. Those AMG S-class cars are really popular, I always see a bunch around here.

epb

Reaction score
Originally Posted by impolyt_one
^ they really should just go ahead and make an M7 now, though.

Agreed. The argument against was always that the 7-series didn't have the "sporting nature" required by the M division, but once they sold out with the X5 and X6, there was no reason not to. What's stopping them now is likely your second post on the subject - the V8 turbo isn't enough for the 7-series when they'e already got a powerful 12-cylinder, and the market for the car isn't big enough to justify developing a turbo V12. The cost for AMG is offset by the fact Mercedes-Benz uses their AMG engines across the entire range (isn't there a 63 of everything now?); BMW has no other car to use a turbo V12 in. They don't use that engine in the 5 or 6 series.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
^ that is a valid point too, although they've got a couple of the AMG '63' series motors out - the one that goes in the C63 is an NA V8 and sounds sick, hands down one of the best German motors on the road lately, but I was in a new SL63 the other night that was also great, but it was a S/C'ed 5.5L I believe. Anyway, AMG has the one size fits all thing, BMW M does bespoke treatments, true, different methodology, to get to what are seemingly more similar places than ever before.
Obviously, making a bespoke engine isn't an overnight thing, but they do have to make the 7-series anyway, and BMW is no stranger to making bespoke power units. They even have the (albeit very small) side business of selling engines to cottage sports car houses, like Wiesmann. The same way AMG supplies Pagani, I think they could sell a 650-700hp V12 to a boutique supercar maker and maybe offset a bit of the cost, even.

Counter-argument: If they can make a niche car like the 1M with plans to only make <3000 units a year, and knowing they've spent more than few years R+D'ing it, why shouldn't/wouldn't they make an M7, being that it could be only just as much work if they found something usable amongst the numerous V12's BMW currently makes (including the RR line) or a V12 variant on the V8TT they make now? It'd do well.

Aldehyde

Reaction score
I broke down and bought a modern car for my 2 hour per day commute. It's quite nice. Adequate speed and very comfortable on the highway. The engine is from the future (for me at least). Quad cam 32 valve 10:1 all alloy V8 with magnesium valve covers.
Side-1.jpg
Rear.jpg
int2.jpg
I've got a 3 spoke euro M3 wheel on order, and the wheels will be jettisoned soon.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Should have got the csi.

Jk, nice car love the 8.

phreak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love the look of that 8.
Any plans for those red brake?

Ben85

Reaction score
I owned a Protege since I was 18. It took me 5 years to find this 25th anniversary GT. There were only 500 made for Canada, and Canada alone. Oh, and there were only 499 Enzo's produced :p
img0320x.jpg

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by amstokesdb9
very nice! the 8 series has so much character
+1. I've always admired the BMW 8 series.

Aldehyde

Reaction score
Originally Posted by phreak
I love the look of that 8.
Any plans for those red brake?

Yes, powdercoating them black.

I don't get it - why paint stock calipers a super bright color? To draw the eye to....your stock calipers. Yeah, awesome.

Other than that, like I mentioned I'm going to change the wheels, put on a euro M3 steering wheel, fab a better armrest, do some maintenance, and drive it. If it were a weekend car I'd think about lowering it, but it isn't, and these cars were never about handling. They were made to cruise on the autobahn at 150mph in quiet comfort.

not_a_virus.exe

Reaction score
do people here only drive bmws and audis?

dozingoff.gif

the cts coupe is probably going to be my next car. anyone here own one of those?

epb

Reaction score
Originally Posted by not_a_virus.exe
do people here only drive bmws and audis?

That seems to depend on how closely you pay attention. People have mentioned the Mazda Protege and Honda Civic on this page alone.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads