• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aj_del
^^ Thanks, I tinkered around on their website and figured as much. I tried to order but according to their order form they only bill to 5 european countries. I have emailed them to check if they would ship to India and the cost thereof.

Lets see

Thanks again

I had to order via email too. Good luck.

James09T

Reaction score
Originally Posted by cptjeff
Go with a black and burgundy striped tie (even found one for ya). White pocket square. White shirt is good, contrast is important at night.

Thank you for help! I appreciate it very much! That's a great tie btw, although I might not have the time before it arrives from shipping. I'll try to find it nearby still though.

Thanks to acecow for the help as well!

mines4x4

Reaction score
Going to fun NYE downtown event in Denver. Black tie not enforced but suit is minimum. Have black three piece suit and dark blue/light pinstripe. Want to try bowtie for first time but don't want to go black route. Want something fun but not comical, any suggestions. BTW, just joined site and getting some great ideas already. Thanks.

Dan

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
im sure the answer to this is on sf already but i dont have time to comb through all the search results, that being said,
i never thought all that much about allen edmonds just good conservative shoes, but they seem to be well thought of here on sf, whats the deal?
do they have quality consruction, do people like their style, is it both or is it something else altogether?

odiv

Reaction score
So I posted this in WAYWN, but I'm still not sure how far to take these sleeves out.

Right now, when my arms are at my sides, the sleeves go to where my wrist bends.

2010-11-29_1.jpg

Should I post another pic without the shirt? Maybe a few (or video) with my wrist at different angles? There are no men's tailors here, so I basically have to tell the seamstress exactly what I want.

Vecna

Reaction score
Originally Posted by odiv
So I posted this in WAYWN, but I'm still not sure how far to take these sleeves out. Right now, when my arms are at my sides, the sleeves go to where my wrist bends.
2010-11-29_1.jpg
Should I post another pic without the shirt? Maybe a few (or video) with my wrist at different angles? There are no men's tailors here, so I basically have to tell the seamstress exactly what I want.

You really only want about a centimeter of cuff. The jacket could be lengthened a little bit, but I think you'd be better off shortening the sleeves a cm. Easier to tell if you weren't wearing the jacket.

odiv

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Vecna
You really only want about a centimeter of cuff. It looks like you need that lengthened by 2cm. Just measure how much cuff is showing and you should be ok. I think your sleeves might be a smidge long anyway, in which case you wouldn't need to lengthen the jacket as much.

Thanks for the answer. Now I'm really in trouble. These are 32/33 sleeves and pretty much everything else I own is 34/35 (generic L). This shirt is also at least an inch big in the collar.

I don't know how I'm going to be able to wear off the rack shirts with T-Rex arms like these. :p

Vecna

Reaction score
See how your right-hand sleeve is being stopped completely by your hand? You can even see the cuff bending - that's bad. I've always thought that the cuff should end where the hand starts. The jacket is definitely a bit short, but I'd advise that you shop for a slightly shorter sleeve.

@anyone else, feel free to correct me

JamesX

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just exactly where a sleeve should end is really subjective. Some like it slightly longer other slightly shorter. But they are all around the wrist bone range.

Personally I like mine at the middle of my wrist bone.

Makoto Chan

Reaction score
I was looking at some ties in Brooks Brothers Japan, some of which were labeled "Brooks Brothers" and some of which were labeled "Brooks Brother Makers and Merchants." Is there a difference that I should know about? I don't know if this is a matter of "Purple Label" vs "Polo" or something. Maybe it's nothing. Do BB ties sold in the United States have this label? edit, immediately searched and found my answer, sorry: Another thread on this topic

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by odiv
So I posted this in WAYWN, but I'm still not sure how far to take these sleeves out.

Right now, when my arms are at my sides, the sleeves go to where my wrist bends.

2010-11-29_1.jpg

The jacket length is fine, but the sleeves are uneven and short. You need to lengthen them so that 1/4 to 1/2 of the shirt cuff shows.

xinu98

Reaction score
Hi - Filene's Basements has a number of Oxxford suits (Mason) for $999 less 20%. Is this a good price for this suit? Is this the best quality suit one can hope to find there? Thanks!

racetrack

Reaction score
Outside of eBay and B&S what online retailer can anyone recommend for Crockett & Jones shoes?

*shipping to Canada is always nice.

Vecna

Reaction score
Originally Posted by racetrack
Outside of eBay and B&S what online retailer can anyone recommend for Crockett & Jones shoes?
*shipping to Canada is always nice.

Barneys, I don't know where else.

DBails

Reaction score
Hey guys im new to the forum but I had a quick question about a good Atlanta tailor. I know of Mario Bosco but I am in college and a little short on cash so I was wondering if anyone knew of a good reasonably priced tailor in the atlanta area?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads