• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

light grey vs charcoal trousers

bugatti.veyron

Reaction score
Medium grey seems like the most popular, but between charcoal and light grey, which do you prefer?

Also, what color shirts go well with light grey trousers?

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Charcoal trousers and blue or lavender shirts witht the light grey

Archivist

Reaction score
Charcoal has the advantage of being darker, where light grey is of course not as dark as charcoal, which is an advantage if you are looking for a lighter color. A nice medium grey is a balance between light and dark.

A last word made with mescal rather than gin has lovely smokey flavor.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
light grey looks better when it's matched properly, but that's not always easy to do, and it's limited to summer-ish weather. Charcoal is more versatile but doesn't really have any starring role, it just supports.

ninja edit - I live in canada... so light grey trousers generally get packed away around fall weather

redwarrior87

Reaction score
To echo: I believe Charcoal is the most versitile of the two. I tend to wear my light grey pants all year...but I also live in Arizona, so Master-Classter may bhave a valid point..
sarcasm.gif

ljrcustom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
charcoal

-LR

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
light

tphd

Reaction score
plain or patterned

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Archivist
Charcoal has the advantage of being darker, where light grey is of course not as dark as charcoal, which is an advantage if you are looking for a lighter color. A nice medium grey is a balance between light and dark.

Brilliant.

badsha

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Get both. I have Minnis in light grey and charcoal flannel waiting to be made up.

TheDarkKnight

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What about light grey in winter weight flannel? Also to go slightly off topic, what about off white trousers in winter weights?

I ask this as light grey can be slightly ostentatious - it certainly takes a starring role.

Off white is just a notch up from this.

I will post up pics tomorrow

GucciKid

Reaction score
Charcoal is better for the evening, but is harder to pair with lighter jackets, making it less versatile. Light grey will pair with pretty much anything.

I would go with light grey first, but both are indispensible.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads