• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

decent wordrobe starting out in IBD or banking

IBstyle88

Reaction score
Hey guys, I am new to this forum. I was just wondering what are some basics and decent wardrobe you would invest in if you were starting out in banking or PE?

thanks

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Straight out of college? Most banks are biz casual these days, but you'll still need to have a suit or two on hand. Assuming you have the standard recent grad budget, go with something basic like Brooks or J. Press. If you'd like something better, maybe check out MTM / custom suits from Ned or LS Mens in NYC.

If you are in a biz casual environment, invest some money in decent, well-fitting shirts and 3-4 pairs of nice trousers in sturdy cloth and basic colors. And naturally 2-3 pairs of good shoes. AEs are popular around here as quality shoes at a (relatively) affordable price. Stay away from Magli, Ferragamo and the like.

I wouldn't spend too much $$$ just yet as your tastes, weight etc. will evolve quickly over the next few years.

Also, do a search - many questions like this are posted on a regular basis.

zizou

Reaction score
i wouldn't spend too much money on a wardrobe yet. you'll be working long hours, which means you'll be in those clothes for a long time.

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zizou
i wouldn't spend too much money on a wardrobe yet. you'll be working long hours, which means you'll be in those clothes for a long time.

He's also more likely than not quit the job within the next 5 years and become a plumber. Invest in some overalls.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Eustace Tilley listed most of the foundation. "Trousers" being wool pants, probably, and then various shades of gray would be the most versatile. Fitted, flat-front, no cuffs ought to work for the listed measurements. Shirts, fitted, in a mix of patterns and solids, no black. Maybe a cashmere or v-neck sweater, depending on location. At least one mostly wool sports jacket would be a fine idea.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fraiche
Definitely Rubinacci.

bigstar[1].gif

kasper007

Reaction score
80%+ of analysts end up gaining some weight so i would keep that in mind before spending some serious money. and unless you plan to bring all your shirt to the dry cleaners, invest in some non-iron shirts. you won't have much disposable time so you'll definitely won't want to spend it ironing shirts...

business casual in banking can be a little different that what most people would think as business casual. most will end up wearing suits almost every day with ties when meeting clients and tie less otherwise. sports coat and trousers are generally reserved for Friday, khakis for playing golf. That said, it can very much vary according to banks and groups. I would suggest inquiring further to your contacts. you'll have a "session" during training on dress codes, but your ability to visit store during their opening hours will be gone by then.....

PE will depend from place to place, but most places range from business casual to whatever you feel like wearing (including flip-flop and Hawaiian *****). From my experience, very few will wear ties unless they have intro meeting with management teams.

uNiCoRnPriNcEsSx

Reaction score
Most of my banking friends either wear Brooks Brothers, Charles Tyrwhitt, or Thomas Pink.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kasper007
and unless you plan to bring all your shirt to the dry cleaners, invest in some non-iron shirts. you won't have much disposable time so you'll definitely won't want to spend it ironing shirts...

i have some non iron shirts (brooks brothers, charles tyrwhitt) they look ok, but will never really give that clean crisp look of a pressed or well ironed shirt. and its hard to put too much confidence in a banker with a wrinkled shirt

kasper007

Reaction score
Originally Posted by in stitches
i have some non iron shirts (brooks brothers, charles tyrwhitt) they look ok, but will never really give that clean crisp look of a pressed or well ironed shirt. and its hard to put too much confidence in a banker with a wrinkled shirt

Agreed, but IBD analysts are sleep deprived, over stressed, work 80+ hours / week and never get to actually meet clients anyway so non-iron shirt do the job just fine. or maybe that was just me
smile.gif

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Non-iron shirts look like non-iron shirts. If you take the time to learn, it should only take you 10-15 minutes to iron a shirt.

JohnnyCrockett

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
Non-iron shirts look like non-iron shirts. If you take the time to learn, it should only take you 10-15 minutes to iron a shirt.
Foo, what I-Banking analyst has time to iron 5 shirts per week at 15 mins per shirt? Seriously. EDIT: But you're right, non-iron looks like non-iron.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads