• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Wine Thread

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
You left out

trocken - dry
Barrique - oaky or an oak wine barrel

oops, you're right.

imo, you shouldn't use the term "trocken" with on of your signature wines.

it's a description for table wines.

barrique is international, not?

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fritzl
oops, you're right.

imo, you shouldn't use the term "trocken" with on of your signature wines.

it's a description for table wines.

barrique is international, not?

Trocken is just the indication of sugar level (this means dry). You will find sugar content on all/most wines no matter the Prädikatswein quality, no? That trocken is only a description for table wines is new to me as I thought that description was more Tafelwein or Landwein. Kabinett is of course the lowest quality of Qualitätswein mit Prädikat.

Yes, I was recently reading on German classifications.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Trocken is just the indication of sugar level (this means dry). You will find sugar content on all/most wines no matter the Prädikatswein quality, no? That trocken is only a description for table wines is new to me as I thought that description was more Tafelwein or Landwein. Kabinett is of course the lowest quality of Qualitätswein mit Prädikat.

Yes, I was recently reading on German classifications.

ok

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
weingut i believe means grower producer. and to my knowledge trocken and halb-trocken isn't limited to a classification

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Originally Posted by indesertum
weingut i believe means grower producer. and to my knowledge trocken and halb-trocken isn't limited to a classification

did you do the German class yet?

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by binge
Migration 2008 Pinot Noir, Anderson Valley.

Quite nice, very balanced. I really, really like the color: deep and kinda dark, even a little purple.

But man, IIRC the Migration/Goldeneye stuff has gone up nearly $15-20 a bottle in the past few years. I remember buying it in the $30-35 range in 2007 and now Goldeneye seems to be pushing $50.

Maybe I'm just getting old and cranky.

A local wine shop here had 2006 Goldeneye on sale last March for $27 a bottle. I picked up a case. Glad I did, because I haven't seen it anywhere close to that since then. Sadly I've already blown through about half of my stock.

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mark from Plano
A local wine shop here had 2006 Goldeneye on sale last March for $27 a bottle. I picked up a case. Glad I did, because I haven't seen it anywhere close to that since then. Sadly I've already blown through about half of my stock.

Wow, nice score.

After considering it a bit more, I'm thinking that the price changes are mostly due to a restructuring of brands over at Duckhorn. IIRC, the Decoy label is new within the past 2 years, I don't recall seeing it until maybe a year ago. Perhaps the brands are being setup as Decoy ($20-30), Migration ($30-40) and Goldeneye ($50-60); whereas a few years back there was no Decoy and both Migration and Goldeneye sat in the same $30-40 range. I'm talking retail prices in my area.

Oh, and the Goldeneye vineyard has a very pleasant and civilized wine tasting. I recommend it.

PandArts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by binge
Wow, nice score.

After considering it a bit more, I'm thinking that the price changes are mostly due to a restructuring of brands over at Duckhorn. IIRC, the Decoy label is new within the past 2 years, I don't recall seeing it until maybe a year ago. Perhaps the brands are being setup as Decoy ($20-30), Migration ($30-40) and Goldeneye ($50-60); whereas a few years back there was no Decoy and both Migration and Goldeneye sat in the same $30-40 range. I'm talking retail prices in my area.

Oh, and the Goldeneye vineyard has a very pleasant and civilized wine tasting. I recommend it.

I love Goldeneye! When I was at Pinot Days I had to make a stop by their table as they were part of our wine makers class last year at Just Grapes and the 2006 and 2007 Anderson Valley bottlings they were pouring did not disappoint by any stretch of the imagination! It was a classic style Pinot with a hint of old world using only French oak casks (35% new and a the balance being seasoned no older than two seasons).

Goldeneye_111310_02.jpg
Goldeneye_111310_01.jpg

IIRC they were selling in the $45-$50 range at the event and at Binny's it was near $60, which was arond where we were selling it at Just Grapes last year.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gomestar
did you do the German class yet?

We did. I dont' remember if I posted it. I think this week is our last class and we're doing bubblies.

computerpro3

Reaction score
imag05990.jpg
Not bad for $21. A bit much sugar for my liking, but drinkable for sure. Enjoyed it with rosemary butter Salmon, and Chèvre chaud tarts in phyllo dough with a sauce made of fresh strawberries, cognac, sugar, and lemon.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by computerpro3
Not bad for $21. A bit much sugar for my liking, but drinkable for sure. Enjoyed it with rosemary butter Salmon, and Chèvre chaud tarts in phyllo dough with a sauce made of fresh strawberries, cognac, sugar, and lemon.

it's not dry?

computerpro3

Reaction score
it's not dry?

I am not an expert by any stretch of the imagination so you may not want to take my word as canon, but to my palate as it warmed up it became sweeter than other pinot noirs I've had. This was not as pronounced when it was a bit colder.

FWIW I poured it through the Vinturi and decanted it for about an hour.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
it might be because fruitier aromas were more released at warmer temperatures. i dont think sugar levels (if there were any) can increase with temperature.

computerpro3

Reaction score
it might be because fruitier aromas were more released at warmer temperatures. i dont think sugar levels (if there were any) can increase with temperature.

You're probably right. I was getting tons of raspberry in particular with this. As I said, I'm no expert and am still very much in the beginning of the learning process.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
me too! when i first tried dry wines i didnt understand why ppl called them dry and they were clearly very sweet. it was kind of surprising to find that there was little residual sugar in it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads