• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MEGA PEACOAT THREAD - 61 threads merged - all Peacoat questions HERE

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
sterling has better than a retail store selection.
they have.
4 double breasted models. one is regulation navy.
3 have extra insulated linings.
they come in 6 colors.
15 numbered sizes. not s m l xl.
4 different lengths.

and they have other styles besides pea coats.

EMY

Reaction score
Originally Posted by iroh
How many buttons does the sterlingwear peacoat have under the collar? In this pic of another peacoat (not sterlingwear) there are two, but I only have one on mine, is that right?

I have 1 button under the collar and it is on the right hand side.

Nogo

Reaction score
Anyone else think the sterlingwear pit to pit (on the back) is a bit constricting? When I drive and both my hands are up, the back is very tight.

Peacoat

Reaction score

dsbkoko

Reaction score
anyone have any suggestions on a single breasted wool coat, slim fit and less length than a car coat? Thanks!

somatoform

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iroh
So apparently Sterlingwear doesn't answer emails? This is the second one I sent in two weeks, do I have to spam them in order to get their attention? What is going on with this company? Do they have a toll free number?

If your posts here are any indication of what your emails to them are like I wouldn't be suprised if they are ignoring you.

There's a big dfifference between asking:

1. I'm interested in the Navigator. What size would you recommend for these measurements....?

vs.

2. So, let's say I'm walking down the street and carrying a bag of groceries and I stop to chat with a nice looking girl. Should I unbutton my Sterlingwear and sit or should I leave it buttoned and keep standing with my right hand in the pocket and left on the bag of groceries? Also, is the left pocket big enough for a pair of numchucks?

anginaprinzmetal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What do you guys think of a vintage one, found a nice one from 1973 Pembroke melton wool, would you buy this or go new.

May be somebody can answer a few questions:
1. Would thIs be 100% wool or some sort nylon/wool fabric?
2. If wool would it be a tight weave, would it stop some wind and rain? 24 vs 32 oz?
3. I'm 40R (5'10" 155# athletic build w 32-31 waist) for reg jackets, should I stay true to size since it's vintage or go down to a 38R for a snug fit (not constricting though)?

Thanks in advance!!

bombers

Reaction score
The vintage pea coats are 100% wool that is of thicker material and are weave denser. I believe from Peacoat's article on Fedora Lounge that anything after late 70s/early 80s will be made from looser weave wool. I have a 39" chest and just won a 1970 Pembroke 38R made from kersey wool on Ebay so I'm hoping it will be nice and slim. If not, you will probably see it in the marketplace.
wink.gif

anginaprinzmetal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cool, post pics!! I'm affraid the 38r will be too tight though.
smile.gif

anginaprinzmetal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
By the way, any experience w vintage trends? Thanks

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads