• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

GJ Cleverley Shoes w/ Faux Laces?

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Thinking of ordering a bespoke pair in this configuration - elastic-sides but with faux laces. Kinda liking the look. Any thoughts on this unconventional design?

church2.jpg

tpb1.jpg

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't hate them but not my cuppa. I figure, though, if you have all your basics covered in spades, do whatever the hell makes you happy
smile.gif

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cary Grant
I don't hate them but not my cuppa. I figure, though, if you have all your basics covered in spades, do whatever the hell makes you happy
smile.gif

Thanks. As a clarification, I have all the basics well covered, albeit primarily in RTW.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I got a pair from them and don't regret it. I specified the elastic to be only on the inside, so they do look a little more normal. And black semi-brogue, not the fake wing-tip, which I don't like.

Somewhat useful in going through airport security, although you really do need a shoe horn or pair of old subway passes to get them back on.

anginaprinzmetal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't know, not sure I like them...

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Concordia
I got a pair from them and don't regret it. I specified the elastic to be only on the inside, so they do look a little more normal. And black semi-brogue, not the fake wing-tip, which I don't like.

Somewhat useful in going through airport security, although you really do need a shoe horn or pair of old subway passes to get them back on.

Thanks. I'm not quite sure I understand the "elastic only on the inside." How does the shoe stretch adequately without a full elastic band on the side?

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eustace Tilley
Thinking of ordering a bespoke pair in this configuration - elastic-sides but with faux laces. Kinda liking the look. Any thoughts on this unconventional design?

church2.jpg

i prefer like these but if i was gonna order them i would keep the color the same and change the texture, or just use real laces and the faux laces, a play on a play!!

cdmoore1855

Reaction score
I ordered a bespoke pair like this. Won't get em for a few months though

Michael Ay329

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
E.T., skip the bespoke process, and get the pictured shoe from LS, presuming they have your size

Its half the price of bespoke, the quality of construction compares favorably to the finest stuff made by G&G, the leather quality is excellent and the fit is fantastic due to the forgiving nature of the side gussetting.

If my latest Clifford Roberts experiment does not meet my expectations, I'm running to LSBH to purchase this shoe in my size.

The shoe looks way nicer in person. The smaller brogueing & punching, coupled with the gorgeous last shape make this the finest RTW shoe every made.

Fraiche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those shoes are magnificent in person.

Mr. Pink

Reaction score
Saw these the other day at LSBH. Before that I would have said give them a pass. In person, they are beautiful.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Have never dug this concept, personally speaking. It's neither fish nor fowl. It just seems like the lazy man's attempt to pass a slip-on off as a laceup. Sort of like a really expensive, high quality clip-on tie.

TBH, I'm not one for dressy slip-ons in the first place, be they faux laced or plain. I could maybe see myself indulging in a pair for airport travel, or for travel in general. But probably not the faux lace kind.

Anyhow, whatever floats your boat.

Fraiche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The John Lobbs St. Crepin are even more captivating in person as well.

The seamless construction and misty calf is outstanding.

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fraiche
The John Lobbs St. Crepin are even more captivating in person as well.

The seamless construction and misty calf is outstanding.

in fact it has a internal skin stiched seam - a monk is, in that style fairly impossible to do totally seamless - but it is a great shoe!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads