• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Man with Apple

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by eightdouble
not usually an NST guy, but damn these look good.
nattytank4.jpg

I agree. I was on the fence with the Context Tankers, but Leather Soul really knocked it out of the park with these boots. The natty cxl's are great looking.

Man with Apple

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I need some quick advice. How does the grant last fit compared to the Barrie and trubalance lasts? Please advises asap. Thanks.

eightdouble

Reaction score
this is going off of what i read:

it fits true to size, so you would likely be 1/2 a size larger than you wear in barrie/true balance.

it is supposedly much narrower in the toe box, and i have read that it isn't a very good fitting last... i think tom from LS said that somewhere in this thread.

Dexter_

Reaction score
^ I'm a 9D on the Grant and 8.5D on Barrie.

Actually, my Grant boot fits me better than my other Barrie/TruBalance boots. I have C width feet on the Brannock so the 9D fit is perfect.

eightdouble

Reaction score
i have wide toes. most shoes i'd be an E width in, but the barrie/true balance with the wide toe box fit me perfectly in D

i guess it depends a lot on your foot whether the grant would be good for you.

LeatherSOUL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If it were me, I would size down like the Barrie but go up a width.

MiniW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was talking with a shoe sales guy the other day and heard this advice - the widest part of your foot should be at the widest part of the shoe. He told me that a few people he knew changed the size of the shoes they wore to a larger size and even though there was more space in front of the toes, the shoes were much more comfortable. I think that for the most part my shoes fit this bill but this could be another way to look at sizing instead of the standard size down 0.5 on certain Alden lasts.

PeterParker

Reaction score
^^^ Yes, this is the proper way to size shoes, according to the Brannock device: http://www.brannock.com/cgi-bin/star...tructions.html
Compare the arch length to the heel-to-toe length. Generally you'll use the larger of the two measurements as the correct shoe size. If the arch length and heel-to-toe length are the same, this will be the shoe size. If the heel-to-toe length is larger than the arch length, then fit to the heel-to-toe size. If arch length is larger than heel-to-toe, then fit to arch length.

ennui

Reaction score
My order for #8 shortwings was delayed by Sherman Brothers until April(!). I'm wondering if I should just switch to cigar longwings instead which I can get right now, but for around $160 more. Any opinions? I'd be looking to wear these with suits and casually.

rick

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ennui
My order for #8 shortwings was delayed by Sherman Brothers until April(!). I'm wondering if I should just switch to cigar longwings instead which I can get right now, but for around $160 more. Any opinions? I'd be looking to wear these with suits and casually.

go for the cigar i have them there great.

cimabue

Reaction score

Omg cigar longwings handsdown.

cimabue

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Roguls
Thread is lacking pictures lately, so I will contribute some:

Pitt Boot and Snuff Suede Boot.

IMG_2847.jpg

Nice drape, mang.

Man with Apple

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tom, in years past the cigar shell seemed very hard to come by, but now it seems to be much more prevalent. Would this be a correct assumption?

enigma77

Reaction score
Shortwings are better than longwings, and I think you might have trouble wearing cigar longwings with a suit without looking flashy. But if that's what you're looking for then go for it. Also, spend zero money between now and April, or whatever, and keep on those shortwings. Or look elsehwere for shortwings when the autumn deliveries come in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads