• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Let's Talk About Replica Watches...

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr.K
Most people will never ask. I have more people ask about my Accutron chrono than any of my Rolex watches. Only watch geeks may ask, which is fine. One time I had someone ask me what I was wearing when I had my Daytona and he did not even know what a Daytona was when I told him.

+1

WBaker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Doesn't really bother me either way. Id rather spend my money on a less known brand of better quality anyways. Replicas are never going to allow you to max out on quality for your money.

In the end regardless of whether its real or not some people are going to think your Rolex is a fake so who cares, its about quality and craftsmanship in the end.

jwmbro

Reaction score
Since this thread has partially shifted from replicas to hommages, I think I can pose my question here.

Originally Posted by TheWraith
Heck, if you're looking for a Submariner look-alike/similar looking watch, there are plenty of options out there:

Debaufre
ocean-1-black.jpg

Steinhart
1856091844Ocean_one_black_front-back.jpg

Christopher Ward
C60-TRI-SKSnew.jpg

And there's plenty more, but those are the three better options IMO.

Those are some nice watches.

Does anybody know of any watches in a similar style to the Submariner 50th Anniversary Edition?

rolexsubmariner50thanni.jpg

I really don't care if my watch says Rolex or Timex or Festina or Swatch or MyVeryFirstDisneyWatch on it.

I do however really dig the look of the green Submariner. So anybody know of any other watches in that shade green, and with a similar style? Leather band would also be fine actually.

Mr.K

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I believe Alpha makes a homage in that color. Just do a google search for Alpha.

jwmbro

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr.K
I believe Alpha makes a homage in that color. Just do a google search for Alpha.

Thanks a lot for the hint, I found it. Quite reasonable price - any knowledge on their quality? I shall google around a bit.

soxpats

Reaction score
Originally Posted by in stitches
im sure i am repeating some things because i didnt read every post in this thread.
i dont even know where to start here,

firstly in no universe is iwc concidered to be the best watch, but rather only by people who just dont know about the other brands out there (like people who think armani is the best suit because they see ads all over, but woulnt know a brioni or kiton suit if it hit them in the face) the honor of best watch is not universally accepted but most would agree it goes to patek philippe, after that there are many highly prestigious watch companies that are "better" (for lack of a more appropriate word") than iwc (please dont missunderstand iwc makes a great watch no question about it)

secondly, you buy an expensive watch not to show off or as some sort of status symbol(although it does seem to accomplish both of these things) but because you understand and appreciate the high level of craftsmanship and artistry in creating a truly fine watch. if all you need is to tell the time use your cell phone, also most watch connoisseurs will be able to spot a fake rather quickly, and you just just end up looking like a wannabe.

thirdly, i dont know why people think panerai are for douche bags only, they are large and tend to have a cult following but as far as sport watches go they are fine and arent any bigger than many other large watches that are abound out there these days

good luck and if you decide to drop any kind of coin on a watch please get some good watch learning in first.

Agreed, I have a Panerai and JLC. Both are terrific timepieces.

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jwmbro
Those are some nice watches.

Does anybody know of any watches in a similar style to the Submariner 50th Anniversary Edition?

rolexsubmariner50thanni.jpg

I really don't care if my watch says Rolex or Timex or Festina or Swatch or MyVeryFirstDisneyWatch on it.

I do however really dig the look of the green Submariner. So anybody know of any other watches in that shade green, and with a similar style? Leather band would also be fine actually.

I think Debaufre offer their Submariner homages in a variety of coloured bezels. Try their online store here. I hear their quality is very good.

aleksandr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(somewhat) cool story:

Many moons ago (before I discovered the lifechanger that is SF) I was on holiday in Thailand. Being a horological as well as sartorial noob, I had no idea what the PPs, APs and VCs of the world were. I was walking by a random street vendor when I happened to see a replica of Franck Muller's Crazy Hours. Of course, I had no idea who or what Franck Muller was, I just thought it was exceedingly awesome, so I picked up one for a bargain price. I forget what it was now, but it probably was no more than $50. It was reasonably well built - definitely didn't feel cheap, and as far as I could tell the movement was spot on. I didn't think much of it, wearing it once in a while and showing it to my friends as a novelty watch who were all suitably impresed by the movement and the jumping hands but who probably also had never heard of Franck Muller before so didn't comment on the authenticity.

Fast forward a couple of years, and now, having discovered SF and TZ, I was aware that my beloved jumping hand watch was, well, to put it not very nicely, a fake. I still wore it though. I don't see how (a) Franck Muller or (b) my reputation was, or will be, affected. No, I would not have had purchased a genuine version - I didn't even know it existed at the time of purchase - and no, no one called me out for having a replica.

I was wearing it at work one day when a colleague happened to notice my watch (while I don't know if he is a member here, he definitely would fit right in). So I told him, like I tell everyone else - 'Yeah, wanna see a cool trick?' and I show him the jumping hands. So it turns out he knows all about Franck Muller and asks me where I got it from. Mind you, at that time we were of a pay grade where if we scrimped and saved a bit it was reasonably possibly that we could afford the original, so it was not out of the question that it was the real deal. At the time my 'daily beater' was a Yachtmaster my dad had got me after I graduated law school, which said colleague had complimented me on before. Anyhow, I tell him the truth, and he is more wowed by the fact that some street vendor in Bangkok can get the movement right than the fact that I was wearing a fake watch.

To cut a long story short - no, I wouldn't go out of my way to look for something fake, but I think some of you guys blow things somewhat out of proportion. I don't wear the watch anymore though. Saving up for the real thing :p

Specs

Reaction score
Originally Posted by aleksandr
(somewhat) cool story:

Many moons ago (before I discovered the lifechanger that is SF) I was on holiday in Thailand. Being a horological as well as sartorial noob, I had no idea what the PPs, APs and VCs of the world were. I was walking by a random street vendor when I happened to see a replica of Franck Muller's Crazy Hours. Of course, I had no idea who or what Franck Muller was, I just thought it was exceedingly awesome, so I picked up one for a bargain price. I forget what it was now, but it probably was no more than $50. It was reasonably well built - definitely didn't feel cheap, and as far as I could tell the movement was spot on. I didn't think much of it, wearing it once in a while and showing it to my friends as a novelty watch who were all suitably impresed by the movement and the jumping hands but who probably also had never heard of Franck Muller before so didn't comment on the authenticity.

Fast forward a couple of years, and now, having discovered SF and TZ, I was aware that my beloved jumping hand watch was, well, to put it not very nicely, a fake. I still wore it though. I don't see how (a) Franck Muller or (b) my reputation was, or will be, affected. No, I would not have had purchased a genuine version - I didn't even know it existed at the time of purchase - and no, no one called me out for having a replica.

I was wearing it at work one day when a colleague happened to notice my watch (while I don't know if he is a member here, he definitely would fit right in). So I told him, like I tell everyone else - 'Yeah, wanna see a cool trick?' and I show him the jumping hands. So it turns out he knows all about Franck Muller and asks me where I got it from. Mind you, at that time we were of a pay grade where if we scrimped and saved a bit it was reasonably possibly that we could afford the original, so it was not out of the question that it was the real deal. At the time my 'daily beater' was a Yachtmaster my dad had got me after I graduated law school, which said colleague had complimented me on before. Anyhow, I tell him the truth, and he is more wowed by the fact that some street vendor in Bangkok can get the movement right than the fact that I was wearing a fake watch.

To cut a long story short - no, I wouldn't go out of my way to look for something fake, but I think some of you guys blow things somewhat out of proportion. I don't wear the watch anymore though. Saving up for the real thing :p

I just looked up what this watch was. I want one. The Crazy Hours Color Dreams is the most spectacular watch I've ever seen. Does any other watch company use the 'crazy hours' movement?

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aleksandr
Anyhow, I tell him the truth, and he is more wowed by the fact that some street vendor in Bangkok can get the movement right than the fact that I was wearing a fake watch.
Which basically tells you just how overpriced some of these so-called movements and complications are.
smile.gif

ginlimetonic

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Metlin
Which basically tells you just how overpriced some of these so-called movements and complications are.
smile.gif

toubillon, minute repeater, split second chrono

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ginlimetonic
toubillon, minute repeater, split second chrono

...and?

mickey711

Reaction score
I've seen those replica Crazy Hours watches before, and believe they utilize the Miyota Japanese movement used in lower-end to mid-range Citizen watches, but have been modified so that its movement resembles that of the Crazy Hours'. They were actually pretty nice for the price ($80 IIRC) but I wouldn't recommend treating them roughly.

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mickey711
I've seen those replica Crazy Hours watches before, and believe they utilize the Miyota Japanese movement used in lower-end to mid-range Citizen watches, but have been modified so that its movement resembles that of the Crazy Hours'. They were actually pretty nice for the price ($80 IIRC) but I wouldn't recommend treating them roughly.
Well, you don't even need replicas. In a lot of cases, they are not even "inspired" versions -- they are licensed movements that are authentic. For instance, take a look at Sea Gull -- they've well made watches at a fraction of what it would cost elsewhere, including tourbillons. Hell, you can search for Samson Watch Co. on eBay -- you'll find <$500 tourbillons with grand complications for which the Swiss watchmakers charge a pretty penny. Yes, the quality of a $500 Chinese tourbillon is not the same as a $200k PP tourbillon. However, for the price point, it's well worth it. It's only a matter of time...
wink.gif

westinghouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cheap watches feel like **** on the wrist. Just like cheap shoes do on the feet.

FWIW most people don't compliment higher end watches because of jealousy and/or insecurity.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads