• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Xiaogou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Phat Guido
Chestnut "Belgrave" C&J
9501c50b.jpg

21083626.jpg

Damn PG-- you make shoes look fcuk|n sexxy!

bleachboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Polo-1a.jpg
Polo-2b.jpg
"Bench made in England". NOS. Got 'em for less than they retailed for in the 80's! Thanks, eBay.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Roguls
Do not Sno Seal. Obenauf instead.

More on this please.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ajv
It's called MTO and not MTM...................MTM comes in your size all around.......there is no choice of width or size......is it just made for your feet..........

Adrian

i would call the handmacher system mtm. that's my understanding. you get measured and then you order the shoes in the style and leather available.

the shoes come in three widths. it's similar to the system e.g. materna uses. a shoe built on a generic last closest to your "bespoke" measurements
smile.gif

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Obenauf is good for tough boots you don't want to shine. I wouldn't recommend it for fine leathers. I ruined a pair of Barker Blacks with this stuff. It is so oily and waterproof that it literally destroyed the finish of the shoes. They are bulletproof to everything, but they have that oily, matte look to them and will not shine. I have tried everything from acetone, to lighter fluid, I even held a flame to them, nothing will get the oil out of the pores. I sent them to Ron Rider and he was even stumped. So basically, Obenauf is amazing stuff if you don't care about finish.

So Trini, I wouldn't use it on these boots, just Saphir Reno now and again and wax polish.

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bleachboy
"Bench made in England". NOS. Got 'em for less than they retailed for in the 80's! Thanks, eBay.

Saw those. Do they fit true 9.5 D? They seemed a little short from the listing.

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Originally Posted by TRINI
More on this please.

Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
Obenauf is good for tough boots you don't want to shine. I wouldn't recommend it for fine leathers. I ruined a pair of Barker Blacks with this stuff. It is so oily and waterproof that it literally destroyed the finish of the shoes. They are bulletproof to everything, but they have that oily, matte look to them and will not shine. I have tried everything from acetone, to lighter fluid, I even held a flame to them, nothing will get the oil out of the pores. I sent them to Ron Rider and he was even stumped. So basically, Obenauf is amazing stuff if you don't care about finish.

So Trini, I wouldn't use it on these boots, just Saphir Reno now and again and wax polish.

Trini, don't doubt the Sno Seal. Fwiw, I've also treated calfskin dress shoes with the stuff. It's made from beeswax (no animal fats) and you can polish over it. Instead of preheating your boots in the oven, I'd recommend working in a very small amount of Sno Seal and briskly running a hair dryer allover the surface. Allow to cool, wipe off excess and repeat a second application if necessary. Follow that with your usual application of wax if you wish (product does not interfere with wax polish).

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What do you guys think about "mink oil" for leather conditioning?

ajv

Reaction score
Originally Posted by fritzl
i would call the handmacher system mtm. that's my understanding. you get measured and then you order the shoes in the style and leather available.

the shoes come in three widths. it's similar to the system e.g. materna uses. a shoe built on a generic last closest to your "bespoke" measurements
smile.gif

I can't really agree with you, for me MTM means your own last at least.

If one can only choose between several standard lasts and standard sizes and widths then it is an MTO in my book.

I know of one french maker that produces shoes where you choose between several lasts, several sizes and several widths. You can also choose your leather/s and how they combine. He then produces a shoe fully handmade by him. He calls this service "souliers d'artisan" and that would be very close to "Handgemacht" but still not "auf Mass gemacht".
Prices are about 1'500 Euros. Here is a link to his site :

http://www.pascalcarno.com/

Adrian

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HORNS
What do you guys think about "mink oil" for leather conditioning?

Not a fan, see here.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wes - pics of your sno-sealed boots by any chance?

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TRINI
Wes - pics of your sno-sealed boots by any chance?

I'll try to snap some daytime outdoor pics next weekend. I swear the leather doesn't look or feel any different than when new.

Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
It is in Saphir Renovateur, but it is not the only ingredient, which is probably why it is ok.

I believe this is correct.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads