• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoes: Your most complimented pair of shoes (that youre not afraid to wear regularly)

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Reevolving

Frankly, this entire forum has gone to *********** year I've been here.
Very few quality posters left.

Then why do you continue to solicit advice?

Yet again, misses the forest for the trees. Truly astounding.

But...can you see the douche in the mirror?

HPress

Reaction score
McFly, it's that I don't care to differentiate b/w a longwing and a wingtip in the context of this thread. Do you even understand the point of this thread, you halfwit? It's to determine what shoes normal people respond to. In real life, the two are functionally the same.... Normal people don't see or care about the difference b/w longwings and wingtips, and certainly not when your pants cover part of the shoe, and both people are standing upright and/or walking. Now, please take your pedantic OCD insanity (and your sailor outfit) elsewhere. You are adding NOTHING to this thread.
inlove.gif
You must be quite a hit at your nursing home. I'd love to take you out to the Opera and maybe square dancing.

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd say these guys. Edward Green Oundle in mocha suede.

MTO_EGs002.jpg

Reevolving

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrick_b
Then why do you continue to solicit advice? ?
You aren't too bright, are you? Let's see...uhh, perhaps to solicit advice from those few quality posters that do remain?
Originally Posted by patrick_b
But...can you see the douche in the mirror?
Ok, let me try.... Some of us have contributed something of substance today by organizing a discussion that yielded data-driven recommendations and proven criteria to identify noteworthy shoes.... In contrast, others served as useless annoying gnats who got in the way of people who are trying to perform aforementioned research & discussion... Now, go away, you burdensome nuisance of a troll.

bringusingoodale

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's been my experience that if one is 25 and under, any shoe that isn't a sneaker (whether vanity sneaker or not) gets at the very least noticed. I too agree that brogues and brown shoes get most compliments. This isn't surprising since most people think shiny black shoes are the only kind you can wear to dress formally.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by geoffmartin17
How much, may i ask?

40 pounds. Honestly, at 190 pounds for the whole deal, still the best money I have spent on a pair of shoes.

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sanguis Mortuum
barker-black-archdale-wingtip1.jpg
Here is a pic. Yet again, it appears longwings in chestnut will get you compliments. Brogues seem to be the most bang for your buck!

Those aren't long-wings.

I believe SM is correct here. Here's an old SF thread that I had saved up when I was uncertain of the difference myself. Rather useful, I'd imagine.
Originally Posted by jet
Originally Posted by Johnathan
The details are slightly different (i.e. the toe cap wraps all the way around the shoe, hence the name).
p1010176ql0.jpg
as opposed to
6205.jpg
Also, longwings tend to have double soles and are generally heavy, not-at-all-sleek shoes, which is why they're sometimes referred to as "gunboats". Also they're usually bluchers, meaning they have open lacing rather than closed lacing as on an oxford (also visible in the pictures).

The wings are almost always elongated also notice the difference.

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sanguis Mortuum
Stop trying to cover up your ignorance by pretending you meant something else. You said "yet again...longwings...will get you compliments", while quoting an image of a shoe. What possible reason could you have for that sentence other than thinking that the shoe is a long-wing?

And I mean...if you can't tell what are khakis and what aren't, then it's not so hard to believe that you can't tell the difference between a long-wing and a wing-tip.

Don't be so harsh on Reevolving. ****, navels, khakis, trousers, longwings, shortwings - whatever! He also doesn't know the difference between leather and wood:

In that last picture of the Veblens, if you said those were $40 Rockports, people would make note of the cheap looking corrected grain leather.

I love stacked wooden heels, but it may be a bit much going all the way around.
I suppose that's why Veblen is a brilliant name for a luxury shoe, by the way.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pebblegrain
He also doesn't know the difference between leather and wood:

I love stacked wooden heels,

That is rich pebblegrain
smile.gif
The comments and back pedaling are some of the finest I've come across here [any elsewhere, for that matter].

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
If you ever want a man's body, PM me.

Oh man, so sigworthy. Thank you, Dwight.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
In all seriousness, though, I'll play along.

Interestingly, an old pair of beaten-to-**** Gucci bit loafers gets me more compliments than any other pair of shoes I've ever worn, and particularly from women. Of course, it's primarily because the bit pattern is instantly recognizable as "Gucci" to most chicks. My many pairs of far nicer, far more expensive, and far better cared for shoes will get the occasional -- amd I mean very occasional -- notice or compliment. But the old Guccis get 'em every time.

The shoes actually do look pretty cool, especially with their patina. But I doubt that's the sole, or even primary reason for the love they receive. People in this country have been trained to look for a label or a brand marker before looking for anything else.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Discussion that yielded data-driven recommendations....

Lolwut?

Where are the numbers in this thread? Your sample size is what, like, 5?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads