• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

billion dollar home

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Yikes, what an eyesore.

We've talked about this on other threads, and there is no PC way to put it... but as somebody who works/has worked with many international students and their families, I've found that many who come from "emerging" markets or formerly brutal regimes now enjoying great wealth have no idea where to draw any tasteful lines.

A Chinese family I know who bought a beautiful home here in the States, and decorated it with the most hideous, plastic crap furniture I've ever seen. Mauve couches, those awful black plastic-framed mirrors, etc.

This looks like more of the same; as others said... it looks like a bad hotel in Tokyo that was decorated during the "Bubble" economy years. There are tons of them... $400 a night and you get to pretend its the boom days of 1983!!! Woot woot!

That being said, I like the IDEA of living in your own skyscraper... just not a hideous one.

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ I dont want to defend Ambani's ugly ass house, but hasn't everyone who has spend enormous amounts of money in the last 20 years on a house made an ugly house. Basically, if you spend more than a certain amount your fantasy is to live in a gaudy palace. Your taste runs more towards the Venetian hotel rather than Venice. You belong to the more is definitely more school of thought.

It would be interesting to see recent homes which SF considers classy and cost more than 100 million at the time of building.

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aj_del
^^ I dont want to defend Ambani's ugly ass house, but hasn't everyone who has spend enormous amounts of money in the last 20 years on a house made an ugly house. Basically, if you spend more than a certain amount your fantasy is to live in a gaudy palace. Your taste runs more towards the Venetian hotel rather than Venice. You belong to the more is definitely more school of thought.

It would be interesting to see recent homes which SF considers classy and cost more than 100 million at the time of building.

Wafic Said built a new house in Oxfordshire (Tusmore House) that is very classical in style. It's gigantic, obviously, but really works as an English country house.

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SField
Are you actually being serious? If you think this building is garish and unseemly, I really must question your knowledge of how many "old money" families made their fortunes. You're talking about slave labor, colonialism in the worst sense and a level of exploitation that would make most liberals faint and even cause blushing in staunch fiscal conservative Republicans.

shut up, moron.

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
You don't even know what I'm talking about. This has nothing to do with how the money was made. It's about how tacky and classless people with new money usually represent it. Rach agrees with me.
Originally Posted by rach2jlc
Yikes, what an eyesore. We've talked about this on other threads, and there is no PC way to put it... but as somebody who works/has worked with many international students and their families, I've found that many who come from "emerging" markets or formerly brutal regimes now enjoying great wealth have no idea where to draw any tasteful lines.
Originally Posted by StephenHero
Quite honestly, I don't think many countries with new money are good at looking he part. Whenever you hear about some rich guy doing outlandish ****, it's usually from a developing region like India, Singapore, or Oman. Old money really does have a knack for class.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You don't even know what I'm talking about. This has nothing to do with how the money was made. It's about how tacky and classless people with new money usually represent it. Rach agrees with me.

Well consider that "old money" generally inherit many of their properties and possessions.

vitaminc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

500 years from now the building will be an estate representing the wealth of India in early 2000s. It will not be as 'classic' as those 'old' money estates today, but it will become 'classic' in couple centuries.

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by vitaminc
500 years from now the building will be an estate representing the wealth of India in early 2000s. It will not be as 'classic' as those 'old' money estates today, but it will become 'classic' in couple centuries.
500 years from now that building will be eclipsed by others towering over it.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by intent
500 years from now that building will be eclipsed by others towering over it.

Funny that that hasn't happened to some of the great buildings of Europe.

If the Sears tower were next to the Louvre, it wouldn't make the latter any less significant.

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
But isnt the life of modern building like 100 years or something. I dont think they are designed to last more than that.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aj_del
But isnt the life of modern building like 100 years or something. I dont think they are designed to last more than that.

I've seen how indians mix concrete - that building ins't going to last more than 100 years

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
I've seen how indians mix concrete - that building ins't going to last more than 100 years

Maybe so but that's not much better than materials used in the US.

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter

Please share what you saw.

Btw, are you an expert in construction on top of being an expert in all thinggs Indian?

I wonder why you were contemplating getting a new wardrobe made by an indian tailor since you are well versed in how india and indians work. If the concrete in ambanis home is so poor you can imagine the quality of your suits.

ljrcustom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

You all are very entertaining.

-LR

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads