• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Let's Talk About Replica Watches...

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Big T
A few years back, I inadvertently called out two friends who had Tags (I have one). Anyhow, I had to have the battery replaced and sent it off to the Tag service center. Until I got it back, I had a bill of $120.00. Naturally, I felt as if I got bent over and took one up the rear.

Anyhow to my friends who also wore what looked like Tags. I complained to one about the cost of changing the battery (the watch was also cleaned and something else replaced), and that friend very sheepishly said his watch was a fake. Interesting, as I didn't think this fellow a poser! So, to my other friend, prepared with the knowledge of outing the first, I said the same thing. He very unabashedly said his Tag was a fake and that he would never pay the cost of the real deal (although he clearly could have, but the first guy couldn't). I told him I was a dumb ass that did pay for the real deal and at an authorized store to boot.

Takes all kinds.

Most high-end jewelry stores will replace the battery for you (especially if they aer authorized Tag dealers) at a much lower price point.

Gwarg

Reaction score
I used to have a fake Tag, but whenever I wore it I felt very conscious that I was wearing a fake watch. Luckily it broke so now I have an excuse to get a new (real) watch.

Reevolving

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
CDFS, Nice find on the Parnis. Thanks for posting. I like the blue on white style. For $80, this will be the next watch in my collection.
parnis-800x533.jpg

hobscrk777

Reaction score
What about so-called "homage" watches? Some homages are more unique than others. Take this Steinhart as an example of one that's a pretty direct interpretation of a Rolex. Classy-looking watch I'd say, but we all know where the inspiration is coming from.
72020260_1.jpg
By way of contrast, this Orient is one that clearly uses similar design cues, but makes more of an independent statement.
black-mako1.jpg

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^^ Jesus H. Christ, man. Please take that picture off the page, and include a link or something. That's just way too big.

adaylate

Reaction score
Personally, if you can't afford the expensive stuff, just get something that is in your price range that looks nice enough. Fakes are not the way to go.

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hobscrk777
What about so-called "homage" watches? Some homages are more unique than others.

Take this Steinhart as an example of one that's a pretty direct interpretation of a Rolex. Classy-looking watch I'd say, but we all know where the inspiration is coming from.

I'd add Debaufre to that list as well, if you're looking for a Submariner homage watch that looks very much like the original that inspired it.

By way of contrast, this Orient is one that clearly uses similar design cues, but makes more of an independent statement.

For this, I'd also add the new Christopher Ward C60 Trident automatic watch. Clearly uses design cues (from both the Submariner and the Omega Seamaster), but also makes something of an independent statement. I recently bought a Trident and I can attest to its quality.

CDFS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Reevolving
CDFS,
Nice find on the Parnis.
Thanks for posting.
I like the blue on white style.
For $80, this will be the next watch in my collection.

fistbump.gif
I'll await your critiques before taking the plunge. (Other priorities at the moment)

hobscrk777

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheWraith
I'd add Debaufre to that list as well, if you're looking for a Submariner homage watch that looks very much like the original that inspired it.

I guess what I'm asking here is how close is too close? I don't own a Sub homage, but I'd wager a guess that if I walked around with that Steinhart on my wrist, or a similar Debaufre, 9/10 people would stop to ask me if I'm wearing a Rolex.

Trigger

Reaction score
I guess what I'm asking here is how close is too close? I don't own a Sub homage, but I'd wager a guess that if I walked around with that Steinhart on my wrist, or a similar Debaufre, 9/10 people would stop to ask me if I'm wearing a Rolex.

Wouldn't be too sure, I've worn a real Sub for ages and no-one ever asked if it was a Rolex.

Mr.K

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Most people will never ask. I have more people ask about my Accutron chrono than any of my Rolex watches. Only watch geeks may ask, which is fine. One time I had someone ask me what I was wearing when I had my Daytona and he did not even know what a Daytona was when I told him.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pastafarian
btw not a spam post to advertise any particular replica watch sites...

I've come across some money lately and was thinking of purchasing a Rolex Air King.

After doing some research on time pieces, I have come to a couple of realizations:

IWC's are universally recognized as the best watches. Rich in history and prestige.

Panerai = Poser's watch

Rolex = Best replicated watch

So where's the sense in buying a real rolex for 6K? when I can buy a replicated one for 10X less and of equal quality?

A watch is the most important accessory on a man as it gives the man his perceived status.... Wearing a replica Rolex that even jewellers can't tell apart will give you that perception of class that you were looking for. So why not be smart about things and choose the alternative route? It isn't sensible to drop 6-7K on a watch when all it does is tell time.

Just imo

What do you think?

im sure i am repeating some things because i didnt read every post in this thread.
i dont even know where to start here,

firstly in no universe is iwc concidered to be the best watch, but rather only by people who just dont know about the other brands out there (like people who think armani is the best suit because they see ads all over, but woulnt know a brioni or kiton suit if it hit them in the face) the honor of best watch is not universally accepted but most would agree it goes to patek philippe, after that there are many highly prestigious watch companies that are "better" (for lack of a more appropriate word") than iwc (please dont missunderstand iwc makes a great watch no question about it)

secondly, you buy an expensive watch not to show off or as some sort of status symbol(although it does seem to accomplish both of these things) but because you understand and appreciate the high level of craftsmanship and artistry in creating a truly fine watch. if all you need is to tell the time use your cell phone, also most watch connoisseurs will be able to spot a fake rather quickly, and you just just end up looking like a wannabe.

thirdly, i dont know why people think panerai are for douche bags only, they are large and tend to have a cult following but as far as sport watches go they are fine and arent any bigger than many other large watches that are abound out there these days

good luck and if you decide to drop any kind of coin on a watch please get some good watch learning in first.

Restart

Reaction score
IWCs are not the best watches. They have some good watch, just a okay brand IMO.

If you can make it rain then go for a Lange, a Patek or a Vacheron Constantin.

Restart

Reaction score
BTW you don't have to spend an arm or a leg for a nice watch; a nice watch meaning that you appreciate the complexity of its movement and the elegance of its design. If you just want to show off, I suggest you do this:

mr-t.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads