• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MEGA PEACOAT THREAD - 61 threads merged - all Peacoat questions HERE

chris lewis

Reaction score
I have a 39-40" measured chest and a 32" waist. The problem I have with most coats that fit me in the chest is that I'm swimming in it around the waist. Would sizing down to a 36 with a Sterlingwear have a slim fit or should I look into a military issue coat?

Peacoat

Reaction score
Originally Posted by chris lewis
I have a 39-40" measured chest and a 32" waist. The problem I have with most coats that fit me in the chest is that I'm swimming in it around the waist. Would sizing down to a 36 with a Sterlingwear have a slim fit or should I look into a military issue coat?

Proportionately you and I are about the same through the chest and the waist. I am a 42" chest with a 34" waist. I, too, find most outerwear to be too large through the waist. Civilian peacoats are no exception; they are constructed to fit a wide range of the body types found in this country. Issue peacoats also must take this into construction, but the body type they are designed for isn't quite as large as the normal civilian population.

You might try the Sterlingwear in a 36 and see how it fits. If not a good fit, you could always return it. Be careful, though, about the sleeve length, as well as the body length, when sizing down. Those measurements will be sized down as well. If you have long arms and a long torso, might be better to go with a long. Or you might try a size 38 in the vintage issue peacoat. They are constructed a bit slimmer for the more athletic build of the military physique. Plus the outer wool is of a much nicer grade.

What I would suggest is to find a retail store that carries Sterlingwear and try some on to see how they fit you. There should be some Army/Navy surplus stores in most areas. While these stores mostly don't carry a lot in the way of actual surplus stuff anymore, they do carry some military inspired items. Back in about 2003 when I first started researching vintage peacoats, I found a large selection of civilian Sterlingwear peacoats at one of our local Army/Navy stores. You might be able to do the same and take a lot out of the guesswork.

clarksdb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dunelly
man why do all of these fits look so boring

It's a coat. Most people are going to go through a harsh winter. They could care less about if the fit looks boring.

blazingazn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by clarksdb
It's a coat. Most people are going to go through a harsh winter. They could care less about if the fit looks boring.

agreed. you want to be able to layer in case of bad weather.

anginaprinzmetal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I'm looking for a fitted green olive peacoat or peacoat like jacket. Any ideas where to search or find one? Ideally all wool. Thanks

Peacoat

Reaction score
Iroh: Up through 1965, issue peacoats could be buttoned either to the left side or to the right side. Those peacoats had buttons on both sides of, and under, the collar. After the bi sided buttoning practice was discontinued, some peacoats continued to be made with buttons on both sides under the collar. Others had only one button on the right side--as that is all that was needed. So, if your peacoat only has one button, which is on the right side, and your peacoat buttons on the right, that is a normal configuration.

whatever123

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iroh
Bump, this is a serious issue.
crazy.gif

zerostyle

Reaction score
Yessss. Does anyone have a good solution for this? I also often keep a hat on me for wearing on my way home/when it gets cold from the bars, but also need a place to keep it.

Battello

Reaction score
so i know this has been asked before but i cant find a straight answer...
out of the sterlingwear peacoats (navigator and authentic) which would be a slimmer fit overall (chest arms etc?)

bombers

Reaction score
I think fit is the same except for minor physical details that does not change the fit.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 82 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.2%

Forum statistics

Threads