• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Smudge
Where do you get your (suit) hangers from? Any tips?

Originally Posted by fxh
Best ones I got have wide wooden shoulders and a hinged clip/dowel with wire to keep pants sliding. They are from The Hyatt and my access to the supply is limited *ahem cough*

The next best were from K Mart almost the same except without a dowel clip for pants but they do have a PVC ribbed covering on dowel to stop slippage - and they were only around $3- 5 each. I've never seen them back there since i got my last lot.

edit: K Mart were pretty much the same as these below but not dark polished , perhaps even wider shoulder flares. $5 vs $75
http://www.hangerproject.com/mens-ha...t-hangers.html

+1 on K Mart - I have found that my local stores don't always have good ones in stock, but when they do, it is certainly worth picking up a few.

Also, for anyone in Brisbane, a store called "Mei + Picchi" at Newstead/Teneriffe also sells terrific hangers at great prices - they sell wholesale to clothing stores but are also open to the public.

tone76

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Journeyman
+1 on K Mart - I have found that my local stores don't always have good ones in stock, but when they do, it is certainly worth picking up a few.

Also, for anyone in Brisbane, a store called "Mei + Picchi" at Newstead/Teneriffe also sells terrific hangers at great prices - they sell wholesale to clothing stores but are also open to the public.

Thanks for the tip. Mei + Picchi appear to have branches in most Australian capitals. I walk past the one in Adelaide on a regular basis but haven't actually been in there yet. Looks like I might have to pop in there and have a look.

http://www.meipicchi.com/index.php?p...t-us#locations

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Journeyman

Originally Posted by tone76
Thanks for the tip. Mei + Picchi appear to have branches in most Australian capitals. I walk past the one in Adelaide on a regular basis but haven't actually been in there yet. Looks like I might have to pop in there and have a look.

http://www.meipicchi.com/index.php?p...t-us#locations

Good thinking - I didn't even think to check as to whether they had a website.

When I visited the Brisbane store a couple of years ago, I bought about 20 of these hangers:
http://www.meipicchi.com/index.php?m...t01returnid=20

Smudge

Reaction score
Thanks for all those tips on Hangers. Great stuff guys!
thumbs-up.gif

Prince of Paisley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fxh
Best ones I got have wide wooden shoulders and a hinged clip/dowel with wire to keep pants sliding. They are from The Hyatt and my access to the supply is limited *ahem cough*

The next best were from K Mart almost the same except without a dowel clip for pants but they do have a PVC ribbed covering on dowel to stop slippage - and they were only around $3- 5 each. I've never seen them back there since i got my last lot.

edit: K Mart were pretty much the same as these below but not dark polished , perhaps even wider shoulder flares. $5 vs $75
http://www.hangerproject.com/mens-ha...t-hangers.html

OK, we all admit Australia is a comparative sartorial wasteland, but anyone who spends $75+ on importing coathangers has rocks in his head IMO.

lachyzee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any advice on a good shoe repair place/cobbler in Melbourne city? Got some old brogues that need recovering.

Or reviews on McCloud's service: http://www.mccloud.com.au/shoe-repair ?

Cheers

PS very happy with the work done by Katrina's in Liverpool st. as recommended on here. Now owned by a (chinese?) man and his wife, rather than Katrina herself, but they are friendly, do good work, and are quite well-priced.

bhall41

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Prince of Paisley
OK, we all admit Australia is a comparative sartorial wasteland, but anyone who spends $75+ on importing coathangers has rocks in his head IMO.

It's $75 for a set of three hangers, so 'only' $25 per hanger
smile.gif
Maybe I have rocks in my head but they ARE nice hangers. Will check out Kmart next time maybe...

bhall41

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lachyzee
Any advice on a good shoe repair place/cobbler in Melbourne city? Got some old brogues that need recovering.

Or reviews on McCloud's service: http://www.mccloud.com.au/shoe-repair ?

Cheers

PS very happy with the work done by Katrina's in Liverpool st. as recommended on here. Now owned by a (chinese?) man and his wife, rather than Katrina herself, but they are friendly, do good work, and are quite well-priced.

Re the shoes, I would personally go to McLouds or otherwise return to the manufacturer.

I have given Katrina's a big rap in the past. The former owner, Kim, still works there part time. The current owner is, I agree, friendly and the quality of the work seems comparable to when Kim was in charge.

bhall41

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Prince of Paisley
$25 per hanger... not bad - what's the total damage though with postage from the States?

When I ordered a set of 5 it was about US $15.

HTH
Ben

calisanfran

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Am assuming this part of the world ain't feeling too well with the pommies approaching 500 for 1 down??
laugh.gif

CHECKstar

Reaction score
Gents, just noticed a mystery stain on the sleeve of my favourite suit. Can anyone recommend a trusted dry cleaner in Melbourne's conservative business dress with a talent for stain removal?

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just took my suit to Katrina's on Liverpool/Bourke St to be adjusted and finished. As soon as I got changed they started sticking pins in me like voodoo doll.

And at the end of it they handed me my bill o.o

Collar adjustment to smooth out ripples: 35
Shorten jacket: 40
Overall body seams taken in (back, under the pits, waist): 50
shorten sleeves: 40
Pants tapered from just above the knee: 20
Pants hemmed: 17

Looks quite good after the bits have been pinned down I must say. Hope the finished product is good.

I've been randomly hearing/reading about a particular cleaner around South Yarra thats quite good? Further investigation needed.

Tano

Reaction score
Can anyone suggest a good tailor in Perth? I bought a zegna suit from a member here and i need the length of the sleeves and length of the jacket shortened. In another post someone mentioned Final Touch, can anyone comment on quality of workmanship?

CHECKstar

Reaction score
Originally Posted by blahman
Just took my suit to Katrina's on Liverpool/Bourke St to be adjusted and finished. As soon as I got changed they started sticking pins in me like voodoo doll.

Earlier this year, with the help of Katrina's I embarked on a campaign to correct the fit of my entire suit wardrobe. I was very impressed with their appreciating for shape and form, and will continue to use them for any new purchases.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads