• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why do YOU need money?

Davidko19

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Superfluous Man
Tangible: Going out (drinks, vacation, weed, etc.), clothes, basic living necessities (food, housing, etc)
Intangible: None? I mean I'm a really selfish guy and do things purely for my own reasons. I don't care about keeping up with the Joneses, prestige of salary, etc. I guess financial security but the probability of me attaining it is so low that I'm not concerned.

x2

you my bruddah

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
Money = flexibility. Simple. Those with money have more options than those without.

This is too simplistic a view. Your implied utility function is monotonic and univariate, meaning that the more money you have the more flexibility you have, and that this is always better than a little less money and a little less flexibility.

In other words, where are variables such as "free time" and "stress levels", as well as the concept of diminishing returns?

MasterOfReality

Reaction score
At the moment, I'd say work is about 70% for money and 30% for enjoyment but as each year passes and my mortage gets smaller, the enjoyment factor goes up.

I like what I do, but I wouldn't do it for any less than what I get now - my neck is on the block everytime I sign off on a mining design.

My main need for money is to finish off what left of my mortgage, keep a healthy chunk on the side in case something nasty goes wrong with the house or the health of myself or fiance (I'm 31 but you never know what could happen), and basically build up financial security. I don't really want to work until I'm 67, retire, and then keel over a few years later.

So in summary, I'm aiming to earn as much as possible now (within my industry) to make it easier later on.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
This is too simplistic a view. Your implied utility function is monotonic and univariate, meaning that the more money you have the more flexibility you have, and that this is always better than a little less money and a little less flexibility. In other words, where are variables such as "free time" and "stress levels", as well as the concept of diminishing returns?
Of course, I was being a bit simplistic in my definition, but I still believe it holds. I never said "better". I said "more". Whether or not having the increased flexibility is worth a decrease in "free time" and/or "stress levels" is entirely a personal decision. Those with money are not as much of a slave to the things that poor people are (living paycheck to paycheck, the inability to pay bills, having to work 3 jobs and still take care of children, etc.). Although, it could be easily said that once one has money, and begins to live like "The Joneses", then they are in fact even worse off than those without money. The need to keep up appearances is a difficult one.

CouttsClient

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tangible: I can do what I want, where I want (for the most part), and when I want. I take the entire month of December off, and I take about 4 one week trips throughout the year. I financially take care of my mother and she's free to live the way she wants and I plan to continue this for the rest of her life. I can fund my business ideas and projects. I live in a beautiful place, I drink good liquor, eat great food...things of that nature.

Intangible: I think growing up relatively poor made making money extremely important for me. Even though I'm not materialistic (I don't really buy much) I think about money ALL of the time. I wake up thinking about it and I generally go to bed thinking about how a deal is going to go, how to increase profitability, etc.

For me it's about having the ability to live the way I want. I promised myself at a very young age that I would go out in the world and make more money that I would ever need. I haven't hit that number as of yet because there is always an idea that needs funding. When I sleep...I sleep well.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Money = flexibility. Simple. Those with money have more options than those without.

MS has pointed out this is too simple. In fact, I often feel quite constricted and constrained to keep my cash flow going. I think people of varying SES's have different choices, maybe not more and certainly not always better.

Night Owl

Reaction score
hehe the question was why do you need money and typical sf fashion the answers have been.. heres why i have lots of money
rolleyes.gif

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
MS has pointed out this is too simple. In fact, I often feel quite constricted and constrained to keep my cash flow going. I think people of varying SES's have different choices, maybe not more and certainly not always better.
Of course, I was being a bit simplistic in my definition, but I still believe it holds. I never said "better". I said "more". Whether or not having the increased flexibility is worth a decrease in "free time" and/or "stress levels" is entirely a personal decision. Those with money are not as much of a slave to the things that poor people are (living paycheck to paycheck, the inability to pay bills, having to work 3 jobs and still take care of children, etc.). Although, it could be easily said that once one has money, and begins to live like "The Joneses", then they are in fact even worse off than those without money. The need to keep up appearances is a difficult one.
^^ Once again, I never said it was "better". Just having more options is often enough.

L.R.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I could survive on very little money. Enough to eat out now and then, enough to travel occasionally. That's it. However, I want to be able to support my family, and let them do what they want. As other put it, it's just reassurance. If something were to happen, I'd have that back up fund to deal with it. The peace of mind money grants is an amazing thing.

Ben85

Reaction score
I NEED money to survive, food, house and so on. I WANT money for cars, women, nice clothes, and general fun in my life.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by más_cerveza
Money means everything in New York City.
Or is it the impression money creates?

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
^^

Once again, I never said it was "better". Just having more options is often enough.

You misunderstand. It's not always about "keeping up appearances," which seems to be a default meme of so many.

Think, for instance, about the job pyramid. What are there vastly more of, positions that pay 40-60k, require some basic skill sets but are by and large fungible with a little training vs positions that pay 200k+ and require both a broad skillset of managment as well as/or specialized knowledge bases? Bring this down to front line positions in service industries. Although current economic times are tighter, think about a few years ago when we had full employment.

Now, if you are a line person, they just get pissed off or drunk and have bad attendance and change jobs just about whenever they feel like it (except for current times in depressed areas). Middle people can usually find new jobs that pay the same quite easily and often move for various, rather inconsequential reasons. Now, what do you think the availability of the top end jobs are in any given metro area? Do you think people at the top can just jump ship when something ruffles their feathers and they can find another similar job just down the street? That they can party all night and just blow off work? Come in all hung over, looking like ****?

That is just one example that has nothing to do with "keeping up appearances" but demonstrates the constraints as one rises.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads