• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

TintoTerra

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
I've been on the fence with this one for quite some time. One day its spicy and sultry. The next its weak and underpowered. I think if I find a split I'll get in on some but its probably not full bottle worthy.

Today - Etro Palais Jamais - Kind of a spicy fig/plum note there. Not bad but not great.

It does seem to stay closer to the skin than I would like. Still could see it as an easy-to-wear everyday fragrance that not everyone else will be wearing.

Got some Montale Greyland on it's way to me now. Anyone tried this?

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TintoTerra
It does seem to stay closer to the skin than I would like. Still could see it as an easy-to-wear everyday fragrance that not everyone else will be wearing.

Got some Montale Greyland on it's way to me now. Anyone tried this?

FWIW, I really like Ormonde Man and still wonder why I've not splashed out for a full bottle. Bel Ami is a more workmanlike version which USED to be cheap and easily found, then Hermes pulled distribution into their boutiques.

Greyland - I've heard it's a good bit like Black Tourmaline so it may work for you.

Find Finn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I change between Lancome Homme, Marc Jacobs, Escentric Molecules 02 and Kenzo Power.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
It does seem to stay closer to the skin than I would like. Still could see it as an easy-to-wear everyday fragrance that not everyone else will be wearing. Got some Montale Greyland on it's way to me now. Anyone tried this?
Originally Posted by Thomas
FWIW, I really like Ormonde Man and still wonder why I've not splashed out for a full bottle. Bel Ami is a more workmanlike version which USED to be cheap and easily found, then Hermes pulled distribution into their boutiques. Greyland - I've heard it's a good bit like Black Tourmaline so it may work for you.
I see a bottle split in our futures!

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Wonder if they do 100ml bottles... hmmm. ...eh, I see they do 50's of EdP which...to be totally honest is more than I'd use in a lifetime.

Today, btw: continuing the theme of wearing the unworn: Yatagan.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
^^^
Love Yatagan. It's actually cold enough here to start wearing it again.

Wearing Kouros today. I just got a bottle from here on the B&S forum and I gotta say, I'm liking it. I was always one of those guys that couldn't get past the eerie restroom note (I always said it smelled like a coed bathroom at Plato's Retreat at around 5 AM on Sunday morning), but it works a lot better on your body with a little body heat mixed in and some time to settle down.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Baron
^^^
Love Yatagan. It's actually cold enough here to start wearing it again.

Wearing Kouros today. I just got a bottle from here on the B&S forum and I gotta say, I'm liking it. I was always one of those guys that couldn't get past the eerie restroom note (I always said it smelled like a coed bathroom at Plato's Retreat at around 5 AM on Sunday morning), but it works a lot better on your body with a little body heat mixed in and some time to settle down.

I'm not sure why I don't wear it more often: it just kinda sits in the herd while I whore around with all the other (newer) scents. Eventually I come back, though.

Also, thanks for reminding me about Kouros - that one also sits in the drawer waiting its turn, and tomorrow might be the right day for it.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Kouros is just WAY too potent to hold up in the humidity we get down here. After an hour in the sun you smell like a sauna after 12 old men have been inside it for 3 hours. Just awful.

I emailed Ormond Jayne to see if they could cock up a larger than 50ml bottle. If not, any interest in splitting the 50?

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Kouros is just WAY too potent to hold up in the humidity we get down here. After an hour in the sun you smell like a sauna after 12 old men have been inside it for 3 hours. Just awful.

I emailed Ormond Jayne to see if they could cock up a larger than 50ml bottle. If not, any interest in splitting the 50?

Heh, wearing Kouros today and liking it. A perfumista of my acquaintance once mentioned liking it simply because it's so unapologetic. It's not easily explainable by non-cologne means - you can't just pass it off as hand soap or fabric softener.

Sure, I'll split whatever they come up with.

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Kouros for me today too. The first time I smelled it, about two and a half years ago, I thought there was no way I could ever wear it. But soon after that, I got the strong feeling that I needed to try it again. I've loved it ever since.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I've begun working my way through the swap box and have picked out a few to try out, plus a bunch that basically have a single use left which I'll just work through to cut down on the box size... so for the next little while you're going ot see me post things like "DKNY", lol.

today: DKNY. 10 minutes later, AdG.

TintoTerra

Reaction score
I'd be down. Today I'm wearing Tom Ford Tuscan Leather. Mad sillage on these TF private blends!
Originally Posted by Mandrake9072
Terre D'Hermes for me today
I'm curious about this, but it's very ubiquitous-ness is off-putting. Anyone like rose-heavy scents? I've got some brand new 5ml decants of Black Oud and C&S 88 that I don't think will be seeing any use here. Rose 31 will be covering any rose needs for me for the time being.

Mandrake9072

Reaction score
I'd be down.

I'm curious about this, but it's very ubiquitous-ness is off-putting.

I just came back to TdH. I left my bottle at home while I was away at university and couldn't wait to come home to get my hands on it again. Absolutely in love with it! Especially now that winter has come around.

I dunno if it's my skin or what, but it's a bit of a monster on me. Even one spray (fairly close to skin) tends to project a lot (I'm really conscious about this) and lasts well over 14+ hours. So I stick to spraying in air and walking through the mist.

As far as ubiquitous nature of the fragrance, I could see why it would certainly be off-putting. Luckily for me, I'm still in school so aside from the odd aquatic dosage, fragrances are a rarity for college kids.
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics