• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WW Chan's Neopolitan shoulder construction - pictures

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bull
27dy7kh

**** me, thank ******* isn't in colour.

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by emptym
The finmeresco blazer suit I got from them has that. I think it's great.

Got the Breanish tweed coat from them yesterday and love it.

Nice! If ever possible to get more close up shoulder pics like we've been seeing here that would be appreciated.

Which Breanish did you end up getting? I love mine as well.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
Not sure why Parker took his pic down but, yes, that's what I meant. The seam slants backwards and instead of having a seam on top of the shoulder, there's just cloth. I imagine that helps achieve a cleaner shoulder line but I'm not sure whether that's correct or not. All I know is that I asked Patrick if he could cut the next coat that way and he said no, they cut it that way, we cut it differently with the seam following the shoulder line.

I'm not sure if you know this already, but this issue ("short backneck") is of minor controversy in SF. Manton and Jeffrey discuss it here:

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...50#post2842850

And all forum controversy leads back to A&S:

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...45#post1101345

Their claimed feature is allowing more fullness over the shoulder blades, and keeping the collar on the neck. Jeffreyd and Despos demur. My Italian tailor regards it as an English feature FWIW.

--Andre

k4lnamja

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by George
**** me, thank ******* isn't in colour.

I'm in love with suits but only for a short time, therefore, I'm still a newbie.

Can someone explain how this person's collar is "nice and tidy" whereas whenever I wear a tie it doesn't look as good as this?

I typically tie a full or a half windsor.

k4lnamja

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

emptym

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Slewfoot
Nice! If ever possible to get more close up shoulder pics like we've been seeing here that would be appreciated. Which Breanish did you end up getting? I love mine as well.
Originally Posted by gdl203
Not sure why Parker took his pic down but, yes, that's what I meant. The seam slants backwards and instead of having a seam on top of the shoulder, there's just cloth. I imagine that helps achieve a cleaner shoulder line but I'm not sure whether that's correct or not. All I know is that I asked Patrick if he could cut the next coat that way and he said no, they cut it that way, we cut it differently with the seam following the shoulder line.
Here are some pics guys, the breanish, ST6 first and the Smiths second. They're not in great focus, but I think you can see the backward slant of the shoulder seam. It doesn't slant as far back as some other coats I have, but the collars stick very well to my neck.
imgp4249.jpg
I adjusted the color a bit in this pic to bring out the seams:
imgp4260.jpg
I put up more pics on the general Chan photo thread.

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here are some pics guys, the breanish, #7 first, and the Smiths second.
They're not in breat focus, but I think you can see the backward slant of the shoulder seam. It doesn't slant as far back as some other coats I have, but the collars stick very well to my neck.
imgp4249.jpg

imgp4260.jpg

I put up more pics on the general Chan photo thread.

Actually, the pics do not do it justice, the fabric and shoulders, they are much more impressive IRL.

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here are some pics guys, the breanish, #7 first, and the Smiths second.
They're not in breat focus, but I think you can see the backward slant of the shoulder seam. It doesn't slant as far back as some other coats I have, but the collars stick very well to my neck.

Looks great! Thanks for sharing!

emptym

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dragon8
Actually, the pics do not do it justice, the fabric and shoulders, they are much more impressive IRL.
Thanks M. I think you're the only SFer to have seen both irl!
Looks great! Thanks for sharing!
No prob, D. I love Chan's soft shoulder. Will probably get another one soon. Wish I was going to HK soon like you are! Btw, if you get a fresco coat, I recommend a medium to darkish lining. As you can make out a bit in the pics on the other thread, the white striped lining on the sleeves shines through at times. The silvery-blue lining in the body does fine though. Also, I was wrong about the Breanish. It's ST6. And sorry the pics are so bad. I was testing the limits of my girlfriend's patience by asking her to take these. I might try to take better ones. I think the camera focused on the rug not my shoulder.

Kentishman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by apropos
Ah, an example of spalla comica in the wild.

I got it; subtle and good!
laugh.gif

TheTukker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Y
I'm not sure if you know this already, but this issue ("short backneck") is of minor controversy in SF. Manton and Jeffrey discuss it here:

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...50#post2842850

And all forum controversy leads back to A&S:

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...45#post1101345

Their claimed feature is allowing more fullness over the shoulder blades, and keeping the collar on the neck. Jeffreyd and Despos demur. My Italian tailor regards it as an English feature FWIW.

--Andre

My Chan shoulders are cut as GLD's - i.e. not as clean of a neckline as Parker's - but the collar stays closer/better to the neck on them than on one of my other suits (from a different tailor) that has an angled shoulder. Just my two cents.

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No prob, D. I love Chan's soft shoulder. Will probably get another one soon. Wish I was going to HK soon like you are! Btw, if you get a fresco coat, I recommend a medium to darkish lining. As you can make out a bit in the pics on the other thread, the white striped lining on the sleeves shines through at times. The silvery-blue lining in the body does fine though.

Also, I was wrong about the Breanish. It's ST6.

And sorry the pics are so bad. I was testing the limits of my girlfriend's patience by asking her to take these. I might try to take better ones. I think the camera focused on the rug not my shoulder.

Thanks! I have a DB Fresco jacket and notice that issue on occassion, but it doesn't really bother me. I'll probaly get a darker color ermazine lining if I get a Fresco odd jacket next year.

Definitely worth it to do a full fitting at Chan if you're back in HK. Always works out very well.

Originally Posted by Lonneker
My Chan shoulders are cut as GLD's - i.e. not as clean of a neckline as Parker's - but the collar stays closer/better to the neck on them than on one of my other suits (from a different tailor) that has an angled shoulder. Just my two cents.

My Chan shoulders are straight as well and hang very nice and snug on my neck. I plan on speaking with Patrick about the pros and cons of an angled shoulder for my pattern next time I see him more out of curiosity than anything. I'm not too concerned either way.

TheTukker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My Chan shoulders are straight as well and hang very nice and snug on my neck. I plan on speaking with Patrick about the pros and cons of an angled shoulder for my pattern next time I see him more out of curiosity than anything. I'm not too concerned either way.

Thanks David - any chance you can let us know here what Patrick tells you?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads