• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoes: Your most complimented pair of shoes (that youre not afraid to wear regularly)

The Shoe Snob

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dr.no
RLPL Grants and EG Southwold specs

Glad to see that someone finally added a shoe that is not like everyone else's and is unique. I don't dress up too often anymore but when I did, I worked on a shoe floor and always received compliments on my unique shoes, like the one in my avatar, my teal cap toes, or my red wing tips with white piping. I know that these are not so liked on SF because many of you are traditionalists but they are definitely eye catching and if I am not taking negative eye stares I am getting lots of good compliments. On the streets though, I would have to say that the most compliments I probably ever received was on my Allen Edmonds "Dryden" in cognac. Great shoe, still own and still love it!

Revolving - my AE dryden seems to correlate with your theory about brogues and cognac colored shoes. While it is not a full nor even partial brogue, there is a perforated cap and medallion and it is that rich eye-catching cognac color. Great against a nice pair of dark denim.

artoftime

Reaction score
Yes, definitely - Belgians get the most attention and commentary - they seem to elicit curiosity and offense...which of course is one of my most beloved qualities in a shoe

Son Of Saphir

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Women like me multi colored (four colors) custom spectator shoe the most.
Men like the single monks, tan longwings, and Vass F last oxfords or wholecuts.
People go out of way to say they hate me big vass budapesters,
everyone hate those shoe.
ffffuuuu.gif

Reevolving

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Handmadeshoes, I think I'd like contrast piping on a pair of more casual shoes..... Yes, the top collective answer of the day seems to be: Cognac, walnut, chestnut with some brogue (captoe, longwing, wingtip, etc) even better if you can addsome texture like pebblegrain. (As per the Cheaney boots) Are yours like this?
6219-519964-d.jpg

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Reevolving
Yet again, misses the forest for the trees. Truly astounding.
Stop trying to cover up your ignorance by pretending you meant something else. You said "yet again...longwings...will get you compliments", while quoting an image of a shoe. What possible reason could you have for that sentence other than thinking that the shoe is a long-wing? And I mean...if you can't tell what are khakis and what aren't, then it's not so hard to believe that you can't tell the difference between a long-wing and a wing-tip.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Is too.
Is not.
Is too.
Is not.
Is too ... an ... and ... I ... I'm going to tell on your Mom!

entrero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For the sake of clarity, Sanguis is right. Can we agree and just call them "brogue shoes".

fredfred

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think *different* is a possible key.

I have a pair of of black Polo boots that have red stripes on them. Benchgrade made in England. Bought them off streetware buy/sell on SF. Never seen anything like 'em anywhere else.

I get compliments and questions every time I wear them. I got asked by 3 different sales people in Barneys on the same day what they were. I've been asked if they are Gucci and I am amused to say, "No, Polo".

Reevolving

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sanguis Mortuum
What possible reason could you have for that sentence other than thinking that the shoe is a long-wing?.
McFly, it's that I don't care to differentiate b/w a longwing and a wingtip in the context of this thread. Do you even understand the point of this thread, you halfwit? It's to determine what shoes normal people respond to. In real life, the two are functionally the same.... Normal people don't see or care about the difference b/w longwings and wingtips, and certainly not when your pants cover part of the shoe, and both people are standing upright and/or walking. Now, please take your pedantic OCD insanity (and your sailor outfit) elsewhere. You are adding NOTHING to this thread.

geoffmartin17

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
McFly, it's that I don't care to differentiate b/w a longwing and a wingtip in the context of this thread. Do you even understand the point of this thread? It's to determine what shoes normal people respond to. In real life, the two are functionally the same.... Normal people don't see or care about the difference b/w longwings and wingtips, and certainly not when you pants cover part of the shoe, and both people are standing and/or walking.

Can you just admit that you're wrong for once? I think that's why people on this board can't stand you, you're unwilling to learn.

artoftime

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Son Of Saphir
Women like me multi colored (four colors) custom spectator shoe the most.
Men like the single monks, tan longwings, and Vass F last oxfords or wholecuts.
People go out of way to say they hate me big vass budapesters,
everyone hate those shoe.
ffffuuuu.gif

Love the Vash B'pester!
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Fraiche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Chestnut vs. Walnut vs. Cognac.

Cognac = lightest/yellowish?

Walnut?

Chestnut = darkest?

I am seeing conflicting color descriptions.
In the picture below, which 3 shoes represents the above 3 colors?
(#1 = far left)

McFly, it's that I don't care to differentiate b/w a longwing and a wingtip in the context of this thread. Do you even understand the point of this thread, you halfwit? It's to determine what shoes normal people respond to. In real life, the two are functionally the same.... Normal people don't see or care about the difference b/w longwings and wingtips, and certainly not when your pants cover part of the shoe, and both people are standing upright and/or walking. Now, please take your pedantic OCD insanity elsewhere. You are adding NOTHING to this thread.

puzzled.gif

Reevolving

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by geoffmartin17
Can you just admit that you're wrong for once? I think that's why people on this board can't stand you, you're unwilling to learn.
Longwing, the brogue continues in a straight line to the heel. Wingtip, the brogue curves down at the arch. You people are pathetic.

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Longwing, the brogue continues in a straight line to the heel. Wingtip, the brogue curves down at the arch.
Well, at least you learned something from this thread.
laugh.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads