• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Swine Flu - Share Your Stories, oink!

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I gots me some. Been out of work all week, missed Thanksgiving...started feeling crummy end of last week, throat a bit cranky and chest a little clouded. Sunday I was utterly exhausted and couldn't get off the couch. Monday stayed home, but did a 5 mile run to "sweat it out" (thought it may have been a cold). Tuesday, spent the day on my way in and out of the City to see the docs, where I was tested. Constant congestion, cough, sneezing, scratchy throat. Wednesday seemed to peak it, also got the call confirming I had it. Been on the Zpac to prevent any further infection for two days by then. yesterday, congestion better, but tired and achy. Today, congestion a little better (I swear I went through four boxes of tissues the first few days) than yesterday, still tired and achy, but less so from yesterday. Doc told me I should stay home until I'm 100% for 24 hours, so i can't imagine being able to work next week. Good news is that its only 8 days of sick time (and I have plenty). Kids were given their flu shot (this strain was included) months ago, so I won't be all over them, but nice to know I don't have to avoid them. Hopefully I will rest and this won't get worse, before it gets better...I can get lots of my Christmas shopping done online! It'll also help me rest my achillies, which never really was 100% since I hurt it this summer. Lastly, you guys'll be sick of me I'll be posting so much!

cimabue

Reaction score
'Hope you're feeling better soon.

So you didn't get the Swine Flu last year?

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cimabue
'Hope you're feeling better soon. So you didn't get the Swine Flu last year?
Thanks, and nope, I'm hoping this slightly altered strain, plus how fit I am helps me beat this relatively quickly.

MrGimpy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ugh. Get well soon, NYR.

My wife had this last year. Despite being very fit, she was out of commission for three weeks.

I'll have to resist going off on one of my favourite rants here against people who take one day off work because they had "a touch of flu".

MrGimpy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NewYorkRanger
not if you're diagnosed after 48 hours of symptoms appearing.

This is the story most doctors will give. But if symptoms persist too long they will prescribe Tamiflu well after the 48-hour mark, so I'd guess it does have some effect beyond that point.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks to the swine flu scare in Mexico last April we had the town of Zihuatanejo Mexico all to ourselves. Everyone had cancelled trips so the resorts were empty. We were welcomed with opened arms where ever we went and asked to "come back again tomorrow night". There was a group of us in town for a wedding and with 10-25 of us showing up at a bar or restaurant we were quite popular. One owner took me aside for a drink, thanked me for bring the group into his place and said, "we would have sent everyone home had your party not arrived". Being the sole patrons in places assured us of amazing service. And, no one, got sick.

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^^cool story. People believe what they want in the press. the flu is the flu is the flu. Its a virus. Swine flu, or H1N1 is no greater or less of a virus than any of the other hundreds of variations. Two years ago, I had a flu that killed my stomach. I literally could not leave the house for a week and kept just about NOTHING down. This time, it really does feel like a bad cold, except the congestion, sore throat part was a little more severe, and lasted a bit longer than a common cold. Its the fatigue thats killing me...but hoestly, if I weren't tested, I probably would just assume I was tired from fighting off a cold, and carried on with excercise/work. Knowing that I could give this to someone else is whats keeping me home, and knowing what it is and the complications it could cause if I don't take care of it, is whats keeping me from working out. Knock on wood, I just don't feel THAT bad (its been a little more than a week), but I do feel a little crummy. Yet the media has convinced people that this is the next threat to the human race...just use common sense is my philosophy here. More people get this and recover nicely (many probably without even knowing they have it) than do the people who get it and suffer severe compications, which unfortunately are only the nes that get reported. If it bleeds it leads.

entrero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^You're such a bimbo
facepalm.gif

phreak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MrGimpy
I'll have to resist going off on one of my favourite rants here against people who take one day off work because they had "a touch of flu".

Idk fme it treats everyone different. On Tuesday evening I noticed something coming on, scratchy throat and slight headache. Wednesday morning I felt like death, intense headaches/fever with body aches and very sore throat. I slept 16 hours that day. Thursday morning I went to the doc and was diagnosed with the flu but didn't fill the prescription they gave me. I slept most of the day again but gradually started to feel better. This morning I felt mostly normal except for slight lack of energy.

I guess I had the weak strain or something

sygyzy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am curious how, as you said yourself, you are so fit yet you have an amazingly high amount of infection? Swine flu, then before that a modified strain, then a bad flu a few years ago. And whatever else you haven't mentioned. Do you have bad hygiene? Don't wash your hands? Just a question. Lots of people have issues in these areas. I have never had the flu in my life. I also don't get the vaccine. Maybe I am the exception but you are too with the frequency you get seriously sick.

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bet you have in mind who gave you the swine flu... but don't want to be racist to one of your students..
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by NewYorkRanger
^^cool story. People believe what they want in the press. the flu is the flu is the flu. Its a virus. Swine flu, or H1N1 is no greater or less of a virus than any of the other hundreds of variations. Two years ago, I had a flu that killed my stomach. I literally could not leave the house for a week and kept just about NOTHING down. This time, it really does feel like a bad cold, except the congestion, sore throat part was a little more severe, and lasted a bit longer than a common cold. Its the fatigue thats killing me...but hoestly, if I weren't tested, I probably would just assume I was tired from fighting off a cold, and carried on with excercise/work. Knowing that I could give this to someone else is whats keeping me home, and knowing what it is and the complications it could cause if I don't take care of it, is whats keeping me from working out. Knock on wood, I just don't feel THAT bad (its been a little more than a week), but I do feel a little crummy. Yet the media has convinced people that this is the next threat to the human race...just use common sense is my philosophy here. More people get this and recover nicely (many probably without even knowing they have it) than do the people who get it and suffer severe compications, which unfortunately are only the nes that get reported. If it bleeds it leads.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads