• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Today: cold, damp, grey, intermittent rain. Early day at the office. Tired, foul mood (Well, by my standards anyway). CdG Avignon - a dry, spare, woody-incense scent, not unlike an old church.

DULLAH

Reaction score
Caron L'Anarchiste mixed with Cereus #4 pour homme
fight[1].gif

L'Anarchiste is winning.

willpower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DULLAH
Caron L'Anarchiste mixed with Cereus #4 pour homme
fight[1].gif

L'Anarchiste is winning.

Interesting layering combo

Another Windsor day for me. Still on the fence over this one.

delakingois

Reaction score
Started my search for my next fragrance with a bunch of samples the other day, have gone through three: S-ex by S-Perfume - Nailed it at the first attempt, already ordered a bottle. It's really hard to describe it, but a distant warm synthetic leather with hints of salt and something sweet comes close I think. It isn't really sexy in the "in your face with my crotch"-way though, despite the name. It's way better than it sounds and really suits my personality. Fou d'Absinthe by L'Artisan - Fantastic also. A little too understated for me maybe, but I might pick up a bottle later to use as a "work-scent". CDG 2 MAN - Don't know why this gets so much love, it's essentially cough syrup in a bottle. The dry-down was okay I guess, but not good enough to justify the first hour of horror.

DULLAH

Reaction score
Originally Posted by willpower
Interesting layering combo

Another Windsor day for me. Still on the fence over this one.

From the first 2009 batch or the 2010 new batch ?

willpower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DULLAH
From the first 2009 batch or the 2010 new batch ?

2010. A tad different from the 2009 vintage. I sort of like it better, although I'm not certain I do. My 2009 decant ran out so I'm going by memory. 2010 is a bit more potent in sillage to my nose (although I now have enough that I can really spray it on ).

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Hermes Bel Ami: one of those that I know I have, I think about wearing once in a while, but wear only a few times a year at most. Shockingly I've had this bottle since '06 and haven't put much of a dent in it.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
Hermes Bel Ami: one of those that I know I have, I think about wearing once in a while, but wear only a few times a year at most. Shockingly I've had this bottle since '06 and haven't put much of a dent in it.

I was the same way with my bottle so I finally sold it.

I've been in Reno with my in laws for the holiday and I've been alternating knize ten and Antaeus since Tuesday. Both are great. I need to find a new bottle of the Knize.

TintoTerra

Reaction score
Ormonde Man today. Dark, spicy and warm. I can't stop smelling my wrist.

Chace

Reaction score
Thinking about buying some Silver Mountain Water but I am hearing Fragrance.net basically blows the dust off their stock and you end up with a less potent bottle - hence the $90 price difference between them and Creed boutique. Anyone have experience with this?

willpower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Chace
Thinking about buying some Silver Mountain Water but I am hearing Fragrance.net basically blows the dust off their stock and you end up with a less potent bottle - hence the $90 price difference between them and Creed boutique. Anyone have experience with this?
Creeds can vary wildly from batch to batch. 2009 SMW might smell significantly different than 2008 SMW. It's not always due to old stock. Seasonal variations with the natural ingredients can really influence the smell of the final product. Creeds can lose some topnotes over time, but not always. It's a crapshoot. That's one of the benefits (albeit expensive) of buying from authorized outlets, such as Neimans where you'll know exactly what a batch smells like. Consider a 1oz SMW from a retail store - by the time you're done with the bottle you'll have used fresh juice during the entire use. And by then you'll be sick of the scent and ready for something else.
Originally Posted by Abliss
Not worth the cost IMO
I would tend to agree. I got in on a Windsor bottle split so I didn't shell out too much. It's good if you like Eucalyptus bubble gum.

TintoTerra

Reaction score
Having another go at oud 27 tonight. It's weird as hell, but I keep wanting to smell it. I love how seemingly unrelated smells just 'show up' in it at seemingly random moments. I'd swear I smell a barn or some kind of animal pen at certain times.

edit: I guess this is the oud I'm smelling? It's very strange how almost hallucinatory this 'animals and hay' note is.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TintoTerra
Ormonde Man today. Dark, spicy and warm. I can't stop smelling my wrist.
I've been on the fence with this one for quite some time. One day its spicy and sultry. The next its weak and underpowered. I think if I find a split I'll get in on some but its probably not full bottle worthy. Today - Etro Palais Jamais - Kind of a spicy fig/plum note there. Not bad but not great.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 84 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads