• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by James09T
Hi, I have a dinner/prom event coming up. I was hoping to have some help on my outfit. My date is wearing a red and black dress, mostly red with black details. Anyway, I'll be wearing a plain black suit with most probably a white shirt. I need some help on my tie and pocket square combination. I do intend to have some red or light pink in my outfit but need some suggestions on the combination, or the shirt as well. The only thing that really has to stay is the black suit. Thank you for the help in advance! Much appreciated!
If I most definitely needed some red in the outfit, it'd be socks and maybe a hint of a very-very dark hue of red in the pocket square. The tie would've been black.

max_r

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acecow
I think you have room in the knees. Don't narrow the thighs and you'll be fine. But, of course, you should know better.

I had another thought... If your trousers are too tight when you sit down, maybe you stretched them this way? That would explain the weird creasing and the fact that it wasn't present before.

they're not really tight unless i crouch down in an awkward position or something, just kinda snug. slimming below the knee does sound like a good idea though, because now that i think about it, most of my jeans that are wide in the knee tend to crease funny, but the ones that are tapered from mid-thigh down tend to fall nicer. i know those are jeans though, kind of a totally different thing.

i asked a co-worker who always has great looking pants how he keeps his nice, and he said he has a trouser press and presses them each night.

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What is the best inexpensive slipper for home?

slappy

Reaction score
For a law school interview suit, solid navy or birdseye black/grey? I'm thinking navy, but birdseye does look a little more mature I think.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by James09T
Hi, I have a dinner/prom event coming up. I was hoping to have some help on my outfit. My date is wearing a red and black dress, mostly red with black details.

Anyway, I'll be wearing a plain black suit with most probably a white shirt. I need some help on my tie and pocket square combination. I do intend to have some red or light pink in my outfit but need some suggestions on the combination, or the shirt as well. The only thing that really has to stay is the black suit.

Thank you for the help in advance! Much appreciated!

Go with a black and burgundy striped tie (even found one for ya). White pocket square. White shirt is good, contrast is important at night.

Originally Posted by slappy
For a law school interview suit, solid navy or birdseye black/grey? I'm thinking navy, but birdseye does look a little more mature I think.

I think either would work. Go with the one that fits best.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Hoodyy
Is it too '90s' to wear a t-shirt under a shirt (for example a checkered lumberjack shirt)?
It's ok, just not the most fashionable choice. I'd recommend instead using a deep v-neck so you get the benefits of an undershirt without it actually showing.
Originally Posted by colins
... Could this jacket be worn as a 3 roll 2?
Probably not.... You can just leave the top button open but that won't really make it roll. You can get it pressed so it's got a fairly strong roll but it can sort of throw off the jacket's shape since it wasn't designed that way. Still, I think a mix of 2B and 3B's fine in anyone's wardrobe.
Originally Posted by gezuz
What are some high quality sweater brands to look at? I've looked around, Brooks Brothers? Trying to match my patterned Mabitex with some solid tops, and I'd like to try a few solid sweaters.Also, wearing sweaters over a collared shirt, does the collar have to be strong/starched? Any basic ideas I should know? I've never really tried to look.
Ralph lauren makes some really nice sweaters and they're often on sale here on the buy and sell and others.
I wear collared shirts under sweaters all the time. No need to do anything fancy with the collar, just make sure to keep them tucked in though.
Originally Posted by bk193
Can a tailor add an inch or two in the waist/hip area of a peacoat? (Let it out, essentially?)
That will just depend on how much fabric there is inside the coat. You can probably take about an inch out of each side, I'm just guessing. You'll have to take it to someone to check.
Originally Posted by Smudge
When shoes are described as "blobby" what does that mean?
Generally people are talking about the last/sole shape. While many hate a cut off squared short toe, there's just as much hate for a super long pointy toe. Most around here like a generally rounded off end, slightly elongated. If it's too "round", then the shoe sort of looks shapeless.
Originally Posted by aj_del
Would a size 42/52 suit jacket with a BoC measurement of 30" be a regular or a short. Thanks in advance, much appreciated
Sounds like a short. I can tell you that even a 36r has that same 30'', so on a 42 it's probably a short.
Originally Posted by meok
How easy would it be for a tailor/alterationist to create and attach a belt loop from left over fabric?
Shouldn't be too hard I would think.
Originally Posted by jef
Hi, I would like to know what do you think about black and brown? Do you think that putting brown pants and a black shoes (or the black pants and brown shoes) is a bad idea ? Thank you for your asnwears
Black and brown can be tricky. It's probably not SF approved but many people wear black shoes with various shades of brown and cream pants, which I think looks fine. Black pants and brown shoes are a no no though.
Originally Posted by globe1969
I looked at a sport coat I am interested in. It has no lining at all. Is this normal? It is a well known italian brand. Thanks for any help.
Totally normal. Some are full lines, some have a quarter, or no lining at all. It's probably more of a summer weight jacket.

Baverso

Reaction score
This is a question more for someone who actually works in a conservative business environment -- Is it 'going against the grain' to have a ticket pocket on their navy interview suit? Do you think it would be noticed?

retozimmermann

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Baverso
This is a question more for someone who actually works in a conservative business environment -- Is it 'going against the grain' to have a ticket pocket on their navy interview suit? Do you think it would be noticed?

In continental Europe or in East Asia, in banking, insurance, consulting or law, I don't think anyone would even notice. People usually know too little about style and fashion in order to make any judgement on a thing like a ticket-pocket. So as long as the general perception is good and the colours meet the expectation of the environment, I'd say go for the ticket pocket. I have one of in one of my more conservative suits.

racetrack

Reaction score
Looking to purchase my first 'respectable' dress shoe. Something to wear with suits.

Budget: $200.00
Color: Brown, Whiskey, Merlot, etc...
Style: Oxford (looking for a clean minimalistic design)

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

max_r

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
so i just bought a new suit that fits pretty well in the shoulders and chest, but is pretty loose in the waist and hips... a competent tailor can bring this in and make it look nice, right? i would take a picture but i am without a camera until thursday.

the next size smaller fit great in the waist and hips, but was too tight in the shoulders and chest.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by racetrack
Looking to purchase my first 'respectable' dress shoe. Something to wear with suits.

Budget: $200.00
Color: Brown, Whiskey, Merlot, etc...
Style: Oxford (looking for a clean minimalistic design)

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Allen Edmonds can often be found on sale for around $200 and fit your description above, at least to the degree that it is achievable at the $200 price point.

Originally Posted by max_r
so i just bought a new suit that fits pretty well in the shoulders and chest, but is pretty loose in the waist and hips... a competent tailor can bring this in and make it look nice, right? i would take a picture but i am without a camera until thursday.

the next size smaller fit great in the waist and hips, but was too tight in the shoulders and chest.

Yes, the waist and hips alteration is a standard alteration while shoulders and chest are so difficult as to be rarely worth the expense.

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by max_r

dah already answered this. Just make sure the tailor knows his way around a suit jacket.

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It depends on the store. The more expensive stores have better tailors at hand. Personally, I only trust one tailor I've found and he also works at a small but expensive retail store. I've been to 3 or 4 others who have always done something wrong. It took me a year to find this guy, but it was well worth it. He already knows what I want and every job he does is simply perfect. Definitely skip the dry-cleaning alterations, that's for sure.

Start a thread on MC main page asking for tailor suggestions in your area. I'm sure someone will respond.

Reaction score
1. I have a suit made of wool and probably 1% mink, 1% cashmere (the labels are in abject conflict). There are two stains on them, possibly oil-based, and make the spot look "wet," as an oil-based stain does. How do I remove them?

2. Can wide lapels be narrowed?

3. What discount department stores near West Los Angeles regularly sell good suits? Are these prices generally competitive with eBay and STP pricing?

I tend to get my suits from thrift shopping, but recently acquired a delightful Polo blue label, Corneliani I take it, from Marshall's. Nordstrom Rack and Ross are atrocious, and Loehmann's is a little too high-end, from what I saw. Looking to pay $300-$700 a suit, roughly, Corneliani/Hickey Freeman quality and up. General tips welcome.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads