• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Site Topics - Part II

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Totally not worth your or anyone's time.

that is somewhat upsetting. Not sure why.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edinatlanta
This is probably what makes Metro annoying is the whole AB routine.

So much hate in these last few pages. C'mon, boys, let's all circle around and have a good cry. It'll be a strong male bonding experience.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Redwoood
The quote above refers to amateurs and novices.
There is not enough context to conclude to whom he was referring.

Being stupid and uninformed is not a bannable offence ... thankfully
wink.gif

Yes, the quote in and of itself is not worse than anything else people on here say regularly. However, it was his first quote, of many, and they only got worse from there on out.
Originally Posted by Arrogant Bastard
So much hate in these last few pages. C'mon, boys, let's all circle around and have a good cry. It'll be a strong male bonding experience.

I'd rather circle up and jerk. Just me and you.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
I'd rather circle up and jerk. Just me and you.

You know it, big sexy.
wink.gif

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
The quote above refers to amateurs and novices.
There is not enough context to conclude to whom he was referring.

Being stupid and uninformed is not a bannable offence ... thankfully
wink.gif

The quote referred to me. Which is fine, as we all know I'm a little slow, just the quote directly refutes why's assertion that he was polite until "antagonized."

As for stupid and uninformed not being a bannable offense, again I agree with you, however this was to explain why your comparison of him to Manton's posts is invalid.

Redwoood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
The quote referred to me. Which is fine, as we all know I'm a little slow, just the quote directly refutes why's assertion that he was polite until "antagonized."

As for stupid and uninformed not being a bannable offense, again I agree with you, however this was to explain why your comparison of him to Manton's posts is invalid.

While I wouldn't go as far as agreeing with why, I still maintain that the quote is reasonably 'polite' by SF standards.
And I'm not trying to attack Manton, just use him as an example of somebody I consider an MC big-wig with a known aversion to Super ratings (though he does call people "asshole" an awful lot
wink.gif
)

Anyway, I have no personal stake in this one way or the other, so I'll be quiet now.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
(though he does call people "asshole" an awful lot
wink.gif
)

Only the assholes though.

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ramuman
31553567.jpg

Ugh..1969? Explain your archaic source code.

That date and time is the "zero point" of Unix timeline. Something is wrong with the calculation, hence the results were displayed as zero.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by onix
That date and time is the "zero point" of Unix timeline. Something is wrong with the calculation, hence the results were displayed as zero.

Is that the date Unix became self-aware?

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
While I wouldn't go as far as agreeing with why, I still maintain that the quote is reasonably 'polite' by SF standards.
And I'm not trying to attack Manton, just use him as an example of somebody I consider an MC big-wig with a known aversion to Super ratings (though he does call people "asshole" an awful lot
wink.gif
)

Anyway, I have no personal stake in this one way or the other, so I'll be quiet now.

In my experience, most people on SF -- including the old timers and self-styled BSDs -- are probably good, decent folks that verge on mildly to moderately nerdy, and who would probably be totally cool to share an awkward, stilted conversation with over margaritas while furtively glancing at each other's shoes and ties.

Few people here were the cool kids in high school; let's just get that honestly and clearly in the open. Not surprisingly, then, the steady and somewhat uncomfortable climb from geeky kid to successful adult has left many folks on SF just a tiny bit insecure. That insecurity informs many of the social dynamics on this board: the constant preening, the jockeying for position in some sort of nebulous pecking order, the groupthink that always cautiously follows the lead of the safe, received wisdom of a respected and unimpeachable elder, and so forth. And that's fine. It is what it is. The problems arise when people start to take it seriously.

From time to time, I think a lot of people here need to step back and put SF back into its proper perspective. We are all more similar than not. Let's all save the drama for our mommas.

Redwoood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by onix

Actually, that's a day before the Unix epoch, 1/1/70
Most likely, the time retrieval function returned -1 as an error, and vb interpreted it as -1 seconds after the epoch, which would be the last second of the previous day.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
In my experience, most people on SF -- including the old timers and self-styled BSDs -- are probably good, decent folks that verge on mildly to moderately nerdy, and who would probably be totally cool to share an awkward, stilted conversation with over margaritas while furtively glancing at each other's shoes and ties.

Few people here were the cool kids in high school; let's just get that honestly and clearly in the open. Not surprisingly, then, the steady and somewhat uncomfortable climb from geeky kid to successful adult has left many folks on SF just a tiny bit insecure. That insecurity informs many of the social dynamics on this board: the constant preening, the jockeying for position in some sort of nebulous pecking order, the groupthink that always cautiously follows the lead of the safe, received wisdom of a respected and unimpeachable elder, and so forth. And that's fine. It is what it is. The problems arise when people start to take it seriously.

From time to time, I think a lot of people here need to step back and put SF back into its proper perspective. We are all more similar than not. Let's all save the drama for our mommas.

wells_clapping.gif

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Actually, that's a day before the Unix epoch, 1/1/70
Most likely, the time retrieval function returned -1 as an error, and vb interpreted it as -1 seconds after the epoch, which would be the last second of the previous day.

Ahh, you're right. My understanding of computer is at a rather primitive level.

Redwoood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
[...] From time to time, I think a lot of people here need to step back and put SF back into its proper perspective. We are all more similar than not. Let's all save the drama for our mommas.
Whether on SF or not, in my experience, the best way to ruin your online day is last-worditis. For obvious reasons, only one person can have the last word on a topic, and when two sufferers of last-worditis collide, the result is an endless stream of increasingly antagonistic posts. Last-worditis is fueled by a condition I call "error intolerance". People cannot see something they consider wrong without commenting on it, possibly because they feel their silence would be interpreted as affirmation. While this 'affliction' basically is the secret behind Wikipedia's success, in a forum such as this, it naturally leads to last-worditis. For those suffering from last-worditis, the practice of not commenting on something one perceives as blatantly wrong, and letting an opponent have the last word may feel awkward at first, but is ultimately immensely liberating. Try it.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Whether on SF or not, in my experience, the best way to ruin your online day is last-worditis.
For obvious reasons, only one person can have the last word on a topic, and when two sufferers of last-worditis collide, the result is an endless stream of increasingly more antagonistic posts.
Last-worditis is fueled by a condition I call "error intolerance". People cannot see something they consider wrong without commenting on it, possibly because they feel their silence would be interpreted as affirmation. While this 'affliction' basically is the secret behind Wikipedia's success, in a forum such as this, it naturally leads to last-worditis.

For those suffering from last-worditis, the practice of not commenting on something one perceives as blatantly wrong, and letting an opponent have the last word may feel awkward at first, but is ultimately immensely liberating. Try it.

I suffer from this.
frown.gif

What is the cure?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads