• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Wine Thread

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
I hate wax capsules and the magnum of Sea Smoke I'm popping for tonight's dinner has one.
frown.gif

Nice!

Here's my choices for tonight:
a6110ab9.jpg

I sampled the Burg when I opened it to breathe. I'll be having that.

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Dessert: 2003 Chateau Guiraud.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mark from Plano
Dessert: 2003 Chateau Guiraud.

Ahhh, Sauternes. This wine is a blend of 50% sauvignon blanc and 50% torrontes. I remember I first tasted the sweet syrup of sauternes when I was but a young boy. Although, fittingly, my first, and all subsequent experiences, have been with d'Yquem instead of this ****eau Guiraud. What happens with these wines is that the grapes are allowed to ripen and then they pick them and ferment them and while they are fermenting, the mix the juice with this rot and it makes it taste really yummy. The sugars are converted to macerated carbonic macerati, which is what develops the intense flavors.

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
Ahhh, Sauternes. This wine is a blend of 50% sauvignon blanc and 50% torrontes. I remember I first tasted the sweet syrup of sauternes when I was but a young boy. Although, fittingly, my first, and all subsequent experiences, have been with d'Yquem instead of this ****eau Guiraud. What happens with these wines is that the grapes are allowed to ripen and then they pick them and ferment them and while they are fermenting, the mix the juice with this rot and it makes it taste really yummy. The sugars are converted to macerated carbonic macerati, which is what develops the intense flavors.

Yes, I'm sure that's what you proles think. What? Did you read that in some Marvin rag, prole? You all still think that grape varietals mean anything? You've let the marketeers convince you that d'Yquem is worth those inflated prices. The differences in the $400 d'Y and most of the others is minimal. But someone convinced you that d'Y was worth the money.

computerpro3

Reaction score
We had two bottles of Stag's Leap 2006 cab which I thought were pretty good as well as a couple of less-than-stellar whites (typical Kendall Jackson stuff). I know the Stag's Leap isn't a connoisseur's pick but I enjoyed it nonetheless. On another note, we also had half a bottle of Highland Park 18 year and half a bottle of Hennessey XO.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mark from Plano
Yes, I'm sure that's what you proles think. What? Did you read that in some Marvin rag, prole? You all still think that grape varietals mean anything? You've let the marketeers convince you that d'Yquem is worth those inflated prices. The differences in the $400 d'Y and most of the others is minimal. But someone convinced you that d'Y was worth the money.

Lulz. This meme will never get old

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Burgess '96. Now I have had all three vintages. I didn't like this one quite as much as the other two. Nothing wrong with it though.

Also had a 2000 vintage Champagne I had never heard of before (not bad, nothing spectacular) and a 2005 Stonestreet Chard (spectacular).

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Okay, Sea Smoke Chard. Meh. They should stick to Pinot.

Another person brought 06 Rivers-Marie. Easy drinking Sonoma Pinot.

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I must say that the Bouchard was really, really good. Had a nice balance of bright fruit and funk that I like in a Burg/Pinot. For $33ish it's definitely one I'd buy again.

tattersall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In honour of US thanksgiving we had a small bird last night and cracked open something special

Since I'm not a true baller like Petrus1/lucifer it's only a 1er cru but it ended up being a very nice one. I note that both Jancis and Hugh in their Atlas single out this producer as one of the better ones in Pommard so both team Pio and team Petrus should be pacified...

2002 Domaine de Montille Pommard 1er cru "Les Pezerolles" - the vineyard is very close to Pommard but the producer is based in Volnay, so something of an odd duck but it was really wonderful. A much lighter wine than I'm used to drinking but a stunning complexity and a great deal of finesse. I gather this would keep for a few more years and even improve but what the hell. This was not at all powerful (only about 12%) and you could certainly taste red fruit - I got strawberry mostly - and a nice minerality too. Would buy again if I could find it. Was perfect with roasted duck.

l1010268.jpg

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Haha, I recently had an '02 from that same vinyard by a different producer.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
^
worship.gif

Btw, don't worry about the varietal.
wink.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads