• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoes in Tokyo, good suggestions? barker black?

CustomWorks

Reaction score
Hey guys, wondering if someone can give me a good update list of where to go for shoes in tokyo?

I know there was a thread on this earlier, but I was wondering any new updates, and if anyone can confirm where i can get a good range of barker blacks in tokyo?

I went on the barker black website seems like they are in the midst of doing some updates, and the new list of tokyo stores that retail barker black seems to be only united arrows now. I know there use to be many other places, im guessing the decided not to carry BB anymore.

Does anyone know which united arrows or anywhere else that still carrys barker blacks?

Any other shoe recomendations would be great as well.

dasai

Reaction score
Regal and Scotch Grain are two Japan-based shoemakers I can think of offhand. They're decent quality for about what you'd pay for English shoes in England (or a little less), though if you're over a size 9 US, you might have a tough time anyway.

Big department stores tend to stock English and Italian brands, but don't have (and can't get) larger sizes. That, and the prices are marked up 100%+. I know that Ships carries an assortment of Alden and Crockett + Jones, but I'm not too familiar with the offerings of other boutique-type places.

CustomWorks

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dasai
Regal and Scotch Grain are two Japan-based shoemakers I can think of offhand. They're decent quality for about what you'd pay for English shoes in England (or a little less), though if you're over a size 9 US, you might have a tough time anyway.

Big department stores tend to stock English and Italian brands, but don't have (and can't get) larger sizes. That, and the prices are marked up 100%+. I know that Ships carries an assortment of Alden and Crockett + Jones, but I'm not too familiar with the offerings of other boutique-type places.

Thanks for the heads up..

any info on Barker Black over there.. and the pricing say in usd or pounds?

retozimmermann

Reaction score
The best place in Tokyo to browse for shoes is probably the Isetan (iSetan?) department store with their absolutely gigantic men's shoe department. I've never seen a bigger assembly of brands of classic shoes in my life.

The downside of shoes in Tokyo is that they are hugely overpriced compared to probably any other place on the planet. So if you can stand it at all, go and look at the shoes but don't buy any in Japan.

What I suggest you check out however, is www.brift-h.com and have your shoes shined there.

Best regards
Reto

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CustomWorks
Thanks for the heads up..

any info on Barker Black over there.. and the pricing say in usd or pounds?

I haven't seen Barker Black in Tokyo, although I assume that it is available in various places.

What I can say, though, is that English shoes are very expensive in Japan unless on sale.

Yes, I've seen RLPL Grants (a version of the Edward Green Oundle) on sale for about US$600 at the RL Mansion in Harajuku/Aoyama, but that's very rare. More often you will see C&Js, Churchs and other English makers priced at about twice as much as you can get them for in the UK or via Pediwear, Bodileys, P.Lal, Herring Shoes and so on.

American shoes, such as Alden, are also very, very expensive in Japan compared to US pricing.

Curiously, although US and English shoes are often expensive compared to pricing in their countries of origin, European shoes (particularly Italian makes such as Ferragamo and Santoni, as well as less well-known manufacturers) can often be seen for quite reasonable prices.

Major department stores in areas of Tokyo such as Shinjuku or Ginza always have good shoe selections and the stand-out is really the basement of the Isetan Mens Annex in Shinjuku - it is an incomparable, shoe-lover's heaven with a truly wonderful selection of shoes ranging in price from $200 to $5000 or more. The big department stores will often have some stock of larger sizes, too, whereas smaller stores will not. I've never really had trouble getting US9.5 or US10 shoes, but I think that you will run into difficulties with anything above that.

There are a couple of nice, smaller stores in Ginza and other places. Here's an example of one:

Life Gear Trading Post: http://www.lifegear-tradingpost.com/index.php

There's another, even smaller, store - the name of which escapes me but which is something like "World Shoe Gallery" - over next to Mariage Freres in Ginza, too. They stock Saphir Medaille d'Or shoe polish.

In general, I think that good shoes are far cheaper in the US than in Japan, unless you go for a Japanese brand such as Scotch Grain or Regal (just be sure to look at Regal's better line, as they have a cheaper line that's very ordinary). But the sheer range available in Japan is pretty impressive.

CustomWorks

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice.. it sucks to know the markup is so high!

Any other stores I should think of going to while in Japan, doesn't have to be shoe related.

retozimmermann

Reaction score
Originally Posted by CustomWorks
Thanks for the advice.. it sucks to know the markup is so high!

Any other stores I should think of going to while in Japan, doesn't have to be shoe related.

I don't know Tokyo very well shopping wise so I'm afraid I cannot give any specific advice. Though on a completely other end of the style spectrum you might be interested in singlespeed and fixed-gear bikes, which there are loads of in Japan. Buying components there is something which has been recommended to me and even just looking at the bikes is nice.

dasai

Reaction score
Originally Posted by retozimmermann
I don't know Tokyo very well shopping wise so I'm afraid I cannot give any specific advice. Though on a completely other end of the style spectrum you might be interested in singlespeed and fixed-gear bikes, which there are loads of in Japan. Buying components there is something which has been recommended to me and even just looking at the bikes is nice.
Are you recommending him to buy a mamachari?
plain.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads