• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I want a nice journal

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
You mean as opposed to the piece of technology you have to lug around to access the word file?
sarcasm.gif

Wat?

Use a program like DropBox to access your journal anywhere with an internet connection. Keeping your journal on one local machine is a terrible idea. Just asking to lose all your work with one hard drive failure.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
You mean as opposed to the piece of technology you have to lug around to access the word file?
sarcasm.gif

At one point, paper and writing tools were considered "technology."

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
I remember when. You've seen the photo.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
Wat? Use a program like DropBox to access your journal anywhere with an internet connection. Keeping your journal on one local machine is a terrible idea. Just asking to lose all your work with one hard drive failure.
Yes, but you have to be able to access it with something. iPhone, iPad, iAsshole, etc.. You're just trading one thing you have to lug around for another.
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Thank you professor

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yes, but you have to be able to access it with something. iPhone, iPad, iAsshole, etc.. You're just trading one thing you have to lug around for another.

I'm not trying to argue with you. I'm just being reasonable.

1) E-journals allow you to back up your work. It cannot get stolen while you are traveling. It cannot get lost. It cannot get rained on and smudged. This of course assumes you are using something like DropBox to share the file in real-time.

2) They allow for password protection so you can write honestly without concern of someone laying their hands on it and reading something potentially private/offensive.

3) They allow for you to write from anywhere with an internet terminal (hotels, internet cafes, hotels).

4) If you want to share an excerpt with someone, copy/pasting is very easy.

5) Faster to write. I usually want to write a lot but cannot type as fast as I think. Writing is even slower, and certainly harder to read afterward.

I do agree that it can be inconvenient if you do not carry around a NetBook or laptop. I usually do, so an electronic journal makes the most sense for me. If you travel a lot an dislike laptops, I guess a physical journal might make sense. If you do not travel, e-journal is again the way to go.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I usually want to write a lot but cannot type as fast as I think. Writing is even slower, and certainly harder to read afterward.
I used to let my assistant do all that typing stuff for me. But he got too high-falutin' ... so I finally had to get him an assistant.

I've told him over and over that he and his new assistant don't really need to share a room ... I can afford one for each ... but neither he nor she seems to mind.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I'm not trying to argue with you. I'm just being reasonable. 1) E-journals allow you to back up your work. It cannot get stolen while you are traveling. It cannot get lost. It cannot get rained on and smudged. This of course assumes you are using something like DropBox to share the file in real-time. 2) They allow for password protection so you can write honestly without concern of someone laying their hands on it and reading something potentially private/offensive. 3) They allow for you to write from anywhere with an internet terminal (hotels, internet cafes, hotels). 4) If you want to share an excerpt with someone, copy/pasting is very easy. 5) Faster to write. I usually want to write a lot but cannot type as fast as I think. Writing is even slower, and certainly harder to read afterward. I do agree that it can be inconvenient if you do not carry around a NetBook or laptop. I usually do, so an electronic journal makes the most sense for me. If you travel a lot an dislike laptops, I guess a physical journal might make sense. If you do not travel, e-journal is again the way to go.
I wasn't trying to argue and these are all excellent points for using technology over pen and paper. But the point you made earlier was about 'carrying things around'. I was just saying that, in the end, you are carrying something one way or another.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RSS
I used to let my assistant do all that typing stuff for me. But he got too high-falutin' ... so I finally had to get him an assistant.

I've told him over and over that he and his new assistant don't really need to share a room ... I can afford one for each ... but neither he nor she seems to mind.

This happened to me in the late 1990s, when I lived in Provence. I was working on my third book, actually more of a vignette revolving around the sexual lives of 19th century Balkan serfs. Anyway, I had a similar configuration of an assistant and sub-assistant, each of different sexes. One thing led to another and the transcription slowed to a halt. I would estimate that at the trough they were producing less than thirty words per minute!

I had to put them to sleep after that. It wasn't easy - if you've ever had a gerbil that died or a dog that you had to put to sleep as it got older, you will know how this felt for me. But it had to be done...it was for the best for all parties involved. I switched to an electronic journal, and they had clearly outlived their usefulness as typists. Every time I walk past the well in which their broken bones have laid in for the last decade, I am reminded of the good times we had during those quiet days on the outskirts of Avignon.

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
Thanks guise! Bought a Moleskine and some Uniball Jetstream pens from Amazon. I love spending money on things I don't need.

I use moleskine's, love them and have quite a few in different sizes, and lined and unlined...the unlined is better for ****** illustrations!

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sonlegoman
Trapper Keeper. You can keep scraps of photos of pop stars and clips you rip out of Tiger Beat.

trapper-kepper-car1.jpg

I remember when the first Five Star binders came out and they had the mesh pockets for floppy discs. I thought I was so tech savy for getting one.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This happened to me in the late 1990s, when I lived in Provence. I was working on my third book, actually more of a vignette revolving around the sexual lives of 19th century Balkan serfs. Anyway, I had a similar configuration of an assistant and sub-assistant, each of different sexes. One thing led to another and the transcription slowed to a halt. I would estimate that at the trough they were producing less than thirty words per minute!

I had to put them to sleep after that. It wasn't easy - if you've ever had a gerbil that died or a dog that you had to put to sleep as it got older, you will know how this felt for me. But it had to be done...it was for the best for all parties involved. I switched to an electronic journal, and they had clearly outlived their usefulness as typists. Every time I walk past the well in which their broken bones have laid in for the last decade, I am reminded of the good times we had during those quiet days on the outskirts of Avignon.

I was recently at a cocktail party ... and the person to whom I was talking said ... "I was putting this old woman to sleep this afternoon ... at Our Lady of Perpetual Indulgence Hospital ... " Well, I heard not another word and begain to fear that I was talking to a mercy killer of some kind. Perhaps he could read my face ... because he piped in with ... "Oh, I'm an anaesthetist, by the way. " Whew!

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
I need to go on a quick rant about journals. If you ever go to Barnes and Noble or Borders and look at the journals, they have the most stupid looking pieces of ****. It's like every one of them was designed by the Brothers Grimm.
handbound-leather-journal-07.jpg
34618299.JPG
CEL2_FT_DISP.jpg
512gIbGruhL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
Schoolgirl-vomit-vomit-1809.jpeg

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I'm not trying to argue with you. I'm just being reasonable.

1) E-journals allow you to back up your work. It cannot get stolen while you are traveling. It cannot get lost. It cannot get rained on and smudged. This of course assumes you are using something like DropBox to share the file in real-time.

2) They allow for password protection so you can write honestly without concern of someone laying their hands on it and reading something potentially private/offensive.

3) They allow for you to write from anywhere with an internet terminal (hotels, internet cafes, hotels).

4) If you want to share an excerpt with someone, copy/pasting is very easy.

5) Faster to write. I usually want to write a lot but cannot type as fast as I think. Writing is even slower, and certainly harder to read afterward.

I do agree that it can be inconvenient if you do not carry around a NetBook or laptop. I usually do, so an electronic journal makes the most sense for me. If you travel a lot an dislike laptops, I guess a physical journal might make sense. If you do not travel, e-journal is again the way to go.

MS, thanks for turning me on to Drop Box. Talk about a perfect app for computer/smartphone combo.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads