• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Wine Thread

constant struggle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
another eye tie tonight... (surprise surprise) cantina zaccagnini montepulciano d'abruzzo

fruity, tart, not too much body... $10.99... its a high 80s for sure delish...

tn_DSC02521.JPG

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PandArts
My Turkey Day's have a decidedly Latin flair to them as my GF's mom is from Mexico and her father is from Argentina. Thus the fare is vary robust with some milder elements added. I usually bring some nice Central Coast and RRV Pinots and the obligatory Malbecs and TorrontÃ
00a9.png
s.

Mrs. Piob loves Torrontes. I like to too.
wink.gif

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by F. Corbera
Champs is a must. We're serving turkey and goose. For the goose, we have a couple bottles of Trimbach Clos Ste.-Hune '03.

om nom nom

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Picked up a bottle of 2006 Mas de Can Blau. It's from the Montsant region in Spain. This wine is huge, and very interesting to me. Seriously. It very far removed from the style of wine that I typically enjoy, but we have it at the restaurant and I picked it up because I just know 100% with all my heart that it will probably by my dad's favorite wine that he's ever tasted when I give it to him tomorrow. Nose is all licorice, blackberry, and some oaky vanilla. Nose also smells rather strongly of alcohol (15.5%), however, on the palate the wine is very balanced and the alcohol is integrated well. Very impressive finish, lasting nearly a full minute, and right at the end of the finish you get this intense dark chocolate aroma in your palate. It's incredible. Like I said, very different style from what I typically enjoy but I knowz me a well-made wine when I taste it (no petrus, bro). 35% native Spanish grape called Mazuelo, 35% syrah, 30% garnacha. Very nice. Under $50.
Originally Posted by constant struggle
For you true ballers: http://wtso.com/ Chateau Petrus Pomerol 2006
How timely.

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This evenings Pre-Turkey festivities included 2009 Merry Edwards SB, 2005 Weinbach reisling (St. Catharine) and a 2006 Thivin Cote de Brouilly.

Having a brunch in the morning with my Teetotalling sister (among others). I'll probably bring a 2000 Piper-Heidsieck for the rest of us to enjoy.

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by F. Corbera
What wines are American members queuing up for turkey day?
Bringing these to Stinson Beach tomorrow: 04 Domaine Terrebrune Bandol 07 Domaine les Pallieres "Les Racines Vieilles Vignes" Gigondas The first one is iammatt's reco. I like it very much.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Parker
Bringing these to Stinson Beach tomorrow:

04 Domaine Terrebrune Bandol
07 Domaine les Pallieres "Les Racines Vieilles Vignes" Gigondas

The first one is iammatt's reco. I like it very much.

The second one is a matt reco too, although you might not have been aware of it when you bought it.

I just can't believe you guys are drinking this wine that young! Mine has "do not open until 2040" written on it.

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have some friends at K&L who recommend stuff occasionally. I did stash away a few extra bottles of each in the basement.
smile.gif

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
The second one is a matt reco too, although you might not have been aware of it when you bought it.

I just can't believe you guys are drinking this wine that young! Mine has "do not open until 2040" written on it.

I first heard about it on the WLTV episodes with Kermit Lynch. They were talking about them as if they were ready to drink. When I finally got around to picking one up I tried it. I probably won't drink the second one for a few years though.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Louis Cyphre
A little learning is a dangerous thing
lol8[1].gif

You'll be banned again within 20 minutes but still it's worth flagging this.

You have been caught repeatedly posting idiotic falsehoods as "expertise." This is but one example. And this is your response?

Here is the website for the Chateau in question:

http://www.pichon-lalande.com/

Why don't you write to them and ask if their wine is the "third barrel selection" (whatever that is) of Leoville Las Cases. Do let us know what they say in response.

At this point, I wonder if you have even tasted Chateau Thunderbird.

Now excuse me, I have to start cooking, like all proles, I cook my own holiday meals. I can't afford a staff! Plus, I think it's fun to do.

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't get why someone would think this would be fun. The only way it makes any sense at all is if IRL it is a pasty-faced 14 year old loser that can't get laid and who has no life so he gets his jollies by thread$hitting.

One would think however that even a pasty-faced 14 year old could come up with a better, more original screen name than some dime-store play on "Satan". So perhaps he's really an emotionally stunted 14 year old.

Hossoso? Is that you?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mark from Plano
I don't get why someone would think this would be fun. The only way it makes any sense at all is if IRL it is a pasty-faced 14 year old loser that can't get laid and who has no life so he gets his jollies by thread$hitting.

One would think however that even a pasty-faced 14 year old could come up with a better, more original screen name than some dime-store play on "Satan". So perhaps he's really an emotionally stunted 14 year old.

Hossoso? Is that you?

What I don't understand is that it's not hard to check this information on the Web and not make these ****** mistakes. If you are going to pose as a bigtimer, why not spend the extra time to get it right?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads