• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The WAYWT Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Synthese
Or maybe it's just that the fantasy that most MCers want to live in is boring and conservative.

This. I get the sense that a lot of the MC guys don't have a great sense of personal style. For these people, the Men's Clothing forum, where rigidly adhering to the rules is championed behavior, is a sort of virtual security blanket. Many of these guys seem to have the disposable income for the favored brands, so it's really just a matter of shelling out the cash and following the rules if they want to be "stylish."

The same to a lesser degree is true of this forum, but like others have mentioned, it's a lot easier to look bad in a SW&D outfit, since there are fewer rules to serve as safety railings. Though boring, a lot of the MC outfits wouldn't look so comical if many of the posters weren't dumpy fatasses.

KitAkira

Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by luftvier
@Kit. This is the shortest coat I own. It hits about where my palm ends and my finger begins, about an inch shorter than the "rule." I am on the fence as to whether or not its too short for my preferences, but it's not so short that I won't wear it. @Anti No Break Squad - with a slim trouser as this, I prefer little to no break. This photo is also a good example of why robot pose is better for fit critique purposes. When I am not moving, these trou are perfect no break length, IMO.
sizes

Those aren't slim trousers 'round these parts. And slimmer trousers look better with break

UrbanComposition

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Huh. Perhaps that's the difference between MC and SW&D WAYWT. The former focuses on minute critiques, I suppose in search of some objective perfection, while the later is more about (perhaps?) building a fantasy through the presentation of the clothing. I'm mostly talking here about the posing and detail shots (and lack thereof in SW&D). Or maybe it's just that the fantasy that most MCers want to live in is boring and conservative.

This is kind of like a captain obvious post, but still.

You are correct in your assessment of MC. I would argue that it's neither good nor bad, but rather an interest (perhaps overly so) in suiting. I am not by any means a good example, but I will say that practically all men (and many women, for that matter) look great in a suit, which is what attracts many to the forum initially. After this, one begins to see the many aspects of a great fitting suit (and the accessories), and appreciate the finer points of what makes just a suit a great suit. Thus, the detail shots.

As far as being boring, I would say it's certainly not boring if it interests you. And while it may appear to be conservative, as the SW&D does MC challenge shows, there are many ways to wear a suit. Mark Ronson, as an example, can rock the suit on stage, and it looks fly. However, he can also pull off a slick Burberry that would fit well in an office.

Some maintain their personal style, others follow the herd. Most do a bit of both. I am sure the same could be said of SW&D. None of us would be here if we did not, at least to a small extent, want to hear what others have to say about the way we dress.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Perfect. Really like the purple tie with the deep navy.

Synthese

Darth Millennial
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I certainly don't see anything wrong with wanting to wear a suit, or wanting to look good in a suit. I feel great when I put on a suit. I also feel pretty great in skinny jeans with tucked boots and an oversized top. Obviously it's all personal, but at this point in my life, when I play dress-up, which is almost every day, the story I tell myself revolves around nuclear winter, or indiana jones, or airship pirates; rather than banking. It's fine if you're a banker and that's what you aspire to; whatever - not a judgment call, I just get more of a fantasy/story and inspiration out of the SWD submissions than from the MC crowd. also, someotherstyle, that's probably the best that's been posted here so far.

Listi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very sharp someotherstyle, can't comment on the pants very much, but the top part definitely looks good.

Multibreak on suit pants is dumb looking, I agree. Even a half break is good... but no break looks crazy awkward the majority of times I've seen it.

someotherstyle

Reaction score
fit of the pants goes something like this (slightly different, made a few tweaks on the last few runs of suits/pants)

I'll take a better shot of the new cut when I'm out and have time to. Fun feedback I might add... keep it going.

-MK

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by luftvier
Now this IS too long by about an inch. Or maybe it's the angle. hmmm...

Today: Washed out photos.
plain.gif
Wearing back-up glasses and the shortest coat I own.
5205026951_83d2f3c890_z.jpg

/center]​

There's 2 things here for which there are accepted guidelines which often look good in photos but terrible IRL

1. 1+ inch of cuff. Your arms are hanging straight down now, it looks fine. If you were driving, they'd probably be at your elbow. For me, 1/2 inch of cuff is maximum amount when hanging straight down.

2. No break. This is beyond no break. These pants are slightly cropped. It's possible to have no break where the back is slightly lengthened to cover most of the back of the shoe, and front hits the top of the shoe, but not above it.​

Listi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hendrix
It's possible to have no break where the back is slightly lengthened to cover most of the back of the shoe, and front hits the top of the shoe, but not above it.

I feel as if this is the only acceptable way to have a no break trouser that is not strange looking. The pants just have to hit the shoes or else it looks weird... I mean, if it's obviously exaggerated it could be okay, but when it's off by an inch it just looks wrong. Oh so wrong.

UrbanComposition

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Obviously it's all personal, but at this point in my life, when I play dress-up, which is almost every day, the story I tell myself revolves around nuclear winter, or indiana jones, or airship pirates; rather than banking.

I would hazard to say that most do not fantasize about banking. That would be pretty pathetic.

Pirates tho - I'm with you there
fistbump.gif

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
The lack of significant taper is what causes the no-break fail. You really need TBBF/TB style cuts to make it work.

someotherstyle

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eason
The lack of significant taper is what causes the no-break fail. You really need TBBF/TB style cuts to make it work.

+1. Also, his pants are hiked up a little high, which won't help that cause. That moose knuckle is
crazy.gif

-MK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads