• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Vegetarian" Business/Formal Shoe Options

chrisb0109

Reaction score
Good luck finding shoemakers who can confirm that none of their glue contains animal products. The uppers and the soles are not the only parts in question.

Nosu3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Vegan, not vegetarian shoes.

There are some companies that make leather products from natural death, if that's something you'd be interested in. I don't think there are many synthetics that will look good. The canvas common projects look nice.

brandonbrandon

Reaction score
Generally I find most vegan footwear to look clunky and contrived. I recently was recommended to this site by a client at work and the problem was immediately solved. I haven't found any company who has been on par with the asthetic and craftsmanship of these yet. http://www.noharm.co.uk/

ginlimetonic

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ineffable
I don't care for this to be a discussion on the virtues/morals anything of that nature, and don't need to hear about high-quality leather shoes lasting me a long time -- I have that covered. But having recently become a vegetarian I am looking to replace the animal-based goods where possible and to have more options for future purchases, and perhaps to even start a business venture.
Thanks in advance

Hi quality leathers i.e. Delicious French Calfskin (DFC), would likely use humane methods to depose of the animal, by using electric tasers which are relatively painless, compared to machetes the Chinese use to save on the electricity.

So yes, go with the DFC

for what its worth, i wouldn't do business with a non-meat eating businessman/woman unless you looked like miranda kerr, who is a vegetarian.

ineffable

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies. I guess that's what I was expecting.

I know there's no real alternative for leather, especially a high-quality leather -- but I'm more so looking for something that is a decent alternative. I.e. When I order a veggie burger(yes,
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
), I'm not expecting something comparable to a hamburger, just something that tastes good.

As for noharm, not really what I was looking for but thanks for the suggestion.

I'm not sure if the Common Projects have a leather sole or not, but that's the type of shoe I'd look towards getting at this point.

As for animal glue; It's not too hard to find suitable alternatives and from the experiences with shoemakers/tailors I have dealt with in the past.. I don't think they would have an issue with finding one or using one that I provide - thanks for bringing it up, though.

Leather products from natural death/salvaged leather would be a great second option -- I've looked for these types of products but had no luck. Do you know any companies that provide these products?

ineffable

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ginlimetonic
Hi quality leathers i.e. Delicious French Calfskin (DFC), would likely use humane methods to depose of the animal, by using electric tasers which are relatively painless, compared to machetes the Chinese use to save on the electricity.

So yes, go with the DFC

for what its worth, i wouldn't do business with a non-meat eating businessman/woman unless you looked like miranda kerr, who is a vegetarian.

I assumed this would be true (higher quality --> better conditions), but wasn't sure. Thanks for clarifying. I'll try to look into it further. Humane isn't exactly what I'm looking for, but it's better than nothing.

I don't think being vegetarian has hampered my business ventures thus far (although it has only been a few months), and for what it's worth, I wouldn't do business with someone who bases their business decisions on superfluous matters
blush.gif

geoffmartin17

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All cordovan leather is from naturally dead horse, so if you're into "ethics" or whatever your girlfriend is (i assume that's why you're vegan, hot girlfriend?) then that's the best ( and most stylish?) option.

brandonbrandon

Reaction score
Originally Posted by geoffmartin17
All cordovan leather is from naturally dead horse, so if you're into "ethics" or whatever your girlfriend is (i assume that's why you're vegan, hot girlfriend?) then that's the best ( and most stylish?) option.

Thank you so much for your sexist and misogynistic comment. Definitely what the thread and OP needed.

entrero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ineffable
Thanks for all the replies. I guess that's what I was expecting. I know there's no real alternative for leather, especially a high-quality leather -- but I'm more so looking for something that is a decent alternative. I.e. When I order a veggie burger(yes,
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
), I'm not expecting something comparable to a hamburger, just something that tastes good. As for noharm, not really what I was looking for but thanks for the suggestion. I'm not sure if the Common Projects have a leather sole or not, but that's the type of shoe I'd look towards getting at this point. As for animal glue; It's not too hard to find suitable alternatives and from the experiences with shoemakers/tailors I have dealt with in the past.. I don't think they would have an issue with finding one or using one that I provide - thanks for bringing it up, though. Leather products from natural death/salvaged leather would be a great second option -- I've looked for these types of products but had no luck. Do you know any companies that provide these products?

Synthetics are made from unsustainable resources. I hate vegans as much as scientologists, your logic is as real as fiction and fail to see the bigger picture.

chasingred

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been vegan for about 15 years. I'm now I'm my 30s. So I sympathize with your dilemma.

There are companies that sell synthetic leather shoes, but they're all terrible. I've gone through the rounds now on at least 10 pairs, and they've all aged poorly and didn't last very long.

What you can get away with depends on the industry you're in and how sensitive you are to how poorly you look. If you're some small indie music community, you can probably get away with it. Otherwise, wearing synthetic leather shoes and cotton ties looks really unprofessional. I would recommend against it unless you were in a very special industry.

For what it's worth, I caved about a year ago when I realized that I just couldn't continue wearing such things anymore, especially given my age. I've bought a few pairs of leather shoes, a few wool coats, and a few silk ties. The idea that one has to be 100% militantly vegan or nothing at all is kind of a stupid idea anyway. Do what you can, where you can, but understand that such things are harder and harder when you arrive at different places in life.

And honestly, the processing and production that goes into making ten synthetic leather shoes over one leather one (which is a real ratio in terms of a shoe's lifetime) is much worse for the environment and, consequently, animals.

chasingred

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ginlimetonic

So yes, go with the DFC

Not necessarily true, but I'm not a leather maker. Someone in the trade should comment.

I do know that finer wools are made by putting stress on the animal.

http://www.american.com/archive/2007...er-super-wool/

The idea that better treated animals result in better products is kind of overly simple.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I mean it is pretty obvious that used is the way to go. There are great deals to be had for gently-used shoes on eBay, many of which look brand spanking new after a shine and polish.

geoffmartin17

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by brandonbrandon
Thank you so much for your sexist and misogynistic comment. Definitely what the thread and OP needed.

You must go to my university! How did you get my IP?

-Geoff

entrero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by brandonbrandon

Translation: I'm a girl.

Boobs or gtfo

Nosu3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by entrero
Synthetics are unsustainable resources. I hate vegans as much as scientologists, your logic is as real as fiction and fail to see the bigger picture.
Why do you generalize vegans? There are many different types.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 84 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads