• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dress boots for the snow?

ishakir

Reaction score
Hello friends,

I'm on the market for a pair of dressy boots that are rugged enough to handle the Midwest's nasty snow / salt / sleet mixes common in the winters. I've ruined many a pair of excellent shoes walking around in this stuff. I'd like for them to be as affordable as possible but I am willing to spend some money if they seem worth it. So far, I've been looking at these Florsheim Gaffneys which are rather inexpensive. Anyone have any experience with this particular shoe in the snow? Any recommendations?

Pictures for reference (Florsheim Gaffney):
15030-200.jpg

Thanks and stay warm!

Doc4

Reaction score
They look to have some suede, which will not survive.

Check out the boots offered by Trickers ... Pediwear has a good selection ... and be prepared to apply waterproofing rather than polish.

JamesX

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Jodhpur Boots should work nicely.
IMG_2379-1.jpg
Every English Shoe maker carry at least one model. But as a warning though, Salt and Wetness really KILLS leather shoes. You would need significant maintenance. Might just be easier to get a overshoe for existing shoes.

Grayland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cary Grant
My Rider Boot wingtip boots have been excellent against Minnesota winters...

Details? Shell Cordovan (probably not, huh?), commando sole?

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

ktrp

Reaction score
I saw those in person, the suede seemed odd to me. The black are all leather. The sole is more rugged then I'd like.

AE bayfield is similar style, though over twice as much. There are UK models in between those prices (and above), with Loake at the lower end and moving up from there.

Frihed89

Reaction score
I'd worry about salt, soot, etc damage to any nice pair of leather boots. It's one thing to tramp around in mud, but city snow, sleet and slush are leather killers.

jjimison

Reaction score
What about something quite tall, such as a riding boot? I'm considering a pair for trekking through the heavy stuff...

bewts.jpg

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jjimison
What about something quite tall, such as a riding boot? I'm considering a pair for trekking through the heavy stuff..

No.

soxpats

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jjimison
What about something quite tall, such as a riding boot? I'm considering a pair for trekking through the heavy stuff...

bewts.jpg

HELL NO!

retozimmermann

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JamesX
Jodhpur Boots should work nicely.

IMG_2379-1.jpg

Every English Shoe maker carry at least one model.

I don't think that's quite true. Although a perfectly fine boot, I'd know lots of English shoemakers who don't have one of these in their standard program.

Originally Posted by JamesX
But as a warning though, Salt and Wetness really KILLS leather shoes. You would need significant maintenance.

Might just be easier to get a overshoe for existing shoes.

+1, although if properly wiped and dried without heat double or triple soled leather shoes can stand quite a lot and even more with rubber soles.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads