• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Walking Dead (AMC)

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
thats.mana that's spoiler material for people who have not read the comics. If they include it in the TV show, you would have ruined a big surprise. I read the comics, so it's not a big deal to me, but please be considerate of others who may not have.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by velobran
Last night finally turned on some heat with a zombie attack at camp. Amazing how they are all expert shooters and can put a bullet between the eyes of a swaying zombie 10 - 15 ft away with guns they aren't even familiar with (the guys using the police artillery).

I've watched a few episodes, but I thought the writing in this one was really terrible (as opposed to just mediocre in the previous ones). They abused the viewers' willing suspension of disbelief. After all of the time spent emphasizing the constant vigilance and preparation of the people of the camp, suddenly they're all so relaxed around the fish fry that a whole brigade of zombies can shamble onto them undetected? Lame. And the whole socially conscious vatos-love-their-abeulitas-too bit was incredibly ham-handed. Deep down, we're pretty much the same, except of course white trash racists and wife-beaters.

thats.mana

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JMRouse
thats.mana that's spoiler material for people who have not read the comics. If they include it in the TV show, you would have ruined a big surprise. I read the comics, so it's not a big deal to me, but please be considerate of others who may not have.

You know I thought about using the spoiler imbed but being at work and doing homework I kind of had a mental slip. But honestly if you're really interested in the show you'll eventually do some research and figure out that the show is pretty much standalone. It would be cool to see them do the darker story lines from the comic.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thats.mana
You know I thought about using the spoiler imbed but being at work and doing homework I kind of had a mental slip. But honestly if you're really interested in the show you'll eventually do some research and figure out that the show is pretty much standalone. It would be cool to see them do the darker story lines from the comic.

You will get plenty straight from the comic, but they have said that they want to mix things up were it makes sense. What you let slip is something that I would be surprised if they don't include in the show. It was one of the more interesting moments and revelations of the comic.

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am boycotting this thread because you shitheads keep wanting to talk about the comic and this thread is very clearly about the AMC series. Stop ruining things for the majority who don't read picture books.

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by unjung
I am boycotting this thread because you shitheads keep wanting to talk about the comic and this thread is very clearly about the AMC series. Stop ruining things for the majority who don't read picture books.

graphic novels, joel.

L.R.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by unjung

This sounds like a True Blood rant.....

As for the attack, agree with the earlier post.

Hey guys! We're vs a bunch of slow moving but deadly enemies. They can only catch up to us if we don't see them approach. And in small numbers, only dangerous if they take you unaware.

Durrrrrr.....lets camp right next to some thick woods durrr durrr.

This type of writing is why I stopped watching "The Event". I'm willing to suspend disbelief for aliens, zombies, people acting decently, etc. But not for boneheaded decisions.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by L.R.
This sounds like a True Blood rant..... As for the attack, agree with the earlier post. Hey guys! We're vs a bunch of slow moving but deadly enemies. They can only catch up to us if we don't see them approach. And in small numbers, only dangerous if they take you unaware. Durrrrrr.....lets camp right next to some thick woods durrr durrr. This type of writing is why I stopped watching "The Event". I'm willing to suspend disbelief for aliens, zombies, people acting decently, etc. But not for boneheaded decisions.
Technically the woods would hide you from sight (including the glow from the coals) and help mask your scent. There are advantages to where they camped out. EDIT: As for how that many zombies snuck up on them, I like the theory above that they were brought in the back of that truck as a way for the guy to get revenge. It's just a theory, but makes sense. Plus it would explain the line being teased in the preview that they "don't kill living people." If he did that and the others found out, you have to know some of them would want to kill him. Anyways, it's just speculation at this point.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Durrrrrr.....lets camp right next to some thick woods durrr durrr.

Hurrrrrr?

tounge.gif

EDIT: As for how that many zombies snuck up on them, I like the theory above that they were brought in the back of that truck as a way for the guy to get revenge. It's just a theory, but makes sense. Plus it would explain the line being teased in the preview that they "don't kill living people." If he did that and the others found out, you have to know some of them would want to kill him. Anyways, it's just speculation at this point.

Remember, though, that a zombie was caught eating the deer Merle's brother had killed. They may have been slowly making their way in that direction* and may have just now stumbled on that camp.

*Don't forget the blaring car alarm from a couple of episodes back. That wouldn't have allowed the zombies to pinpoint the camp, but it may have attracted them to the general area.

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree with a lot of the criticisms, esp. the acting caliber of the secondary characters.. but I'm having fun with it and will keep watching it.

L.R.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Technically the woods would hide you from sight (including the glow from the coals) and help mask your scent. There are advantages to where they camped out.

EDIT: As for how that many zombies snuck up on them, I like the theory above that they were brought in the back of that truck as a way for the guy to get revenge. It's just a theory, but makes sense. Plus it would explain the line being teased in the preview that they "don't kill living people." If he did that and the others found out, you have to know some of them would want to kill him. Anyways, it's just speculation at this point.

I guess I get the advantages. I would have gone for the whole: zombies are stupid, let's get up a cliff, or just dig holes around us. They can't climb.

I hadn't thought of that theory. I had assumed it was just Brownian motion. Makes sense though.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I guess I get the advantages. I would have gone for the whole: zombies are stupid, let's get up a cliff, or just dig holes around us. They can't climb.

I hadn't thought of that theory. I had assumed it was just Brownian motion. Makes sense though.

Yeah, it's cool. I just think the show is reaching that level of hype that makes some people (not calling you out) want to nit pick it. Hiding in the woods seemed rational enough to me, but then again I read the comics and they have done that plenty of times. They all got comfortable, let their guard down after a crazy couple days and got snuck up on. Those things happen to people and are how mistakes are made.

As for the acting, I think it's fine. The main characters are strong enough. If the redshirts and randoms are not treated with as much care, it doesn't bother me that much.

Anyways, I am enjoying it a lot. Wish this season was going to go on longer.
smile.gif

gorgekko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lawyerdad
I've watched a few episodes, but I thought the writing in this one was really terrible (as opposed to just mediocre in the previous ones). They abused the viewers' willing suspension of disbelief. After all of the time spent emphasizing the constant vigilance and preparation of the people of the camp, suddenly they're all so relaxed around the fish fry that a whole brigade of zombies can shamble onto them undetected? Lame. And the whole socially conscious vatos-love-their-abeulitas-too bit was incredibly ham-handed. Deep down, we're pretty much the same, except of course white trash racists and wife-beaters.

I would like to disagree with everything you said, but you echo what I said after watching the last episode. I forgave the everyone being a crack shot that someone else mentioned though...

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I finally got up to speed on the episodes. I can't believe all the bitching going on. What do you guys expect? Shakespere in the Park with Zombies? Its just getting off the ground. Give it some time to develop and you'll be pleased.

As to what's in the books - Almost none of this. There was no Merle, no Merle's brother, no fat black guy, and no grave digging skeleton man.

As to the continuity of the books - I really could care less so long as they keep three things:

The prison
The military base with the zombie fights and crazy dictator
Michonne and the ****

Everything else they can run with.

As to spoilers - Ya'all need to hide yo kids, hide yo wife, and hide yo husband cause I'm gonna be rapin all ya'all with spoilers.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads