• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Paris recommendations

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
That's a bit extreme. You send people to Barbès, Nation and la Butte aux Cailles exclusively?
smile.gif

He is mad....

Rue Marbeuf,Francois Ier and Champs-Elysees.

Cifonelli,JM WESTON,Berluti,John Lobb,Bowie,Armani,Boss and every designers under the sun...

Corthay rue de Volnay...

Galeries Lafayettes and Printemps behind the Opera...

All designers under the sun.

Bon Marche and Boulevard Saint Germain

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Better than sending them to the Marais on a weekend.
laugh.gif
I may have exaggerated a bit for effect but it seriously depresses me to see all these people without a clue pay a fortune for bad coffee and worse food and get a thrill out of it. And hanging around Notre Dame or the Eiffel Tower gets really boring after about 5 minutes.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by holymadness
laugh.gif

I may have exaggerated a bit for effect but it seriously depresses me to see all these people without a clue pay a fortune for bad coffee and worse food and get a thrill out of it. And hanging around Notre Dame or the Eiffel Tower gets really boring after about 5 minutes.

Berthillon is making delicious ice-creams...

Go to the Parc du Luxembourg ,sit down and just look around you...

It is free and just soul cleansing..

Go to the Pont des Arts after the Louvre and walk alongside the banks of the Seine...

The bouquinistes have great stuff..

Rue Mouffetard behind the Pantheon is great at night.

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lasbar
He is mad....

Rue Marbeuf,Francois Ier and Champs-Elysees.

Cifonelli,JM WESTON,Berluti,John Lobb,Bowie,Armani,Boss and every designers under the sun...

Corthay rue de Volnay...

Galeries Lafayettes and Printemps behind the Opera...

All designers under the sun.

Bon Marche and Boulevard Saint Germain

Sure, if you conceive of your vacations as shopping lists. What a waste of time.

Je vous rappelle que mon bureau se trouve sur l'Avenue Montaigne. C'est le quartier le plus mort de Paris et je m'y connais bien.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
laugh.gif

When I lived there, I would go either to the Puces or to the Marais on Sundays. Everything else is closed !

I get your point about avoiding tourists but some of these places are pleasant to see or hang out in.

Avenue Montaigne is 100% dead.

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lasbar
Berthillon is making delicious ice-creams... Go to the Parc du Luxembourg ,sit down and just look around you... It is free and just soul cleansing.. Go to the Pont des Arts after the Louvre and walk alongside the banks of the Seine... The bouquinistes have great stuff.. Rue Mouffetard behind the Pantheon is great at night.
Yes, but there's always a large queue at Berthillion. I ain't that excited about ice cream. My favourite places in Paris are Roissy with Orly a very, very close second...
smile.gif

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Le dimanche is for eating a nice gigot with Mamie and PÃ
00a9.png
00a9.png
!

I don't know how long ago you lived here but the Marais is a hell during the weekends, especially on Sunday when it's piÃ
00a9.png
ton. If you actually tried to find a free bench at the Place des Vosges you'd be waiting at least an hour.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know how long ago you lived here
Left ten years ago

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Probably changed quite a bit since then. They've allowed a few other areas to open their stores on Sundays since, and there are always the museums, theatres, cinemas and parks.

In any case, I agree there are plenty of great things to see and experience in the centre, but it offers a lopsided, Disneyfied view of the city. I also hate seeing tourists offer other tourists advice on what's "must-see"; it reminds of when you see a guy coaching his friend at the gym when he has no clue what he's doing himself.

Anyway, enough rage. Enjoy your trip.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Sure, if you conceive of your vacations as shopping lists. What a waste of time.

Je vous rappelle que mon bureau se trouve sur l'Avenue Montaigne. C'est le quartier le plus mort de Paris et je m'y connais bien.

I love l'Avenue Montaigne ...

You have been lucky to have an office there...

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lucky bastard! For food I can't recommend highly enough La Villaret northeast of the Place de la Republique. Some good articles written about it if you do a Google search. My wife and I both work in the food and wine industry and we agree it's one of the best meals we've experience. Have fun!

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Slewfoot
Lucky bastard! For food I can't recommend highly enough La Villaret northeast of the Place de la Republique. Some good articles written about it if you do a Google search. My wife and I both work in the food and wine industry and we agree it's one of the best meals we've experience. Have fun!

Place de la republique?

That's not Avenue Montaigne for sure...

The Buttes Chaumont are also great and the Parc Monceau...

juuceman

Reaction score
ride the bicycles that are parked outside of every metro station; try and have lunch at Cafe des Musee..

ville_e

Reaction score
Where could I get some nice French scarfs to wear with my sportcoats? Do Arnys have them?

What would be the best place to get high quality dress shirts in the same price range as Boggi in Italy (or slightly higher)? I might have one bespoke shirt made at Charvet but would like to buy some stylish mid-priced shirts for everyday use.

ville_e

Reaction score
In terms of clothing, I'm mostly looking for some scarves and shirts. Any ideas? Thanks for the recommendations so far. Smth like this:
2139KHerrWeb.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics