• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Wine Thread

ama

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by constant struggle
Do you guys have legit cellars or wine fridges? I feel like I shouldn't even buy things I don't plan on drinking for 5+ years since i have no storage... I have my basement but that is about it... I am quickly developing a love of the EYE-TIES...

My parents do have a wine fridge that stores probably 40-50 bottles I can take from them since they aren't using it... but I feel that will fill up rather quickly...

Basements are perfect.

constant struggle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well I mean while it stays relatively the same temp all year, i'm sure there are slight fluctuations, which are not good for long term storage... and I am not sure if the moisture levels are absolutely correct... either... does any of that really matter, or is that for purists

Petrus1

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
There are only two real possibilites here.

1) You are who and what you say you are--an old man with a young wife, a lot of money and nice wine who likes to brag about himself and insult other people on the Internet.
First of all she's not my wife. In fact, I don't even believe in marriage and am a confirmed bachelor. Even the best females eventually go bad and I have no intention of losing half my assets to some woman.

2) A liar who made all of the above up but who still likes to brag about himself and insult other people on the Internet.

I only insult the proles and the social climbing snobs.

Either way, you are a worthless asshole. That should be clear even to you.

You can be thankful that you're just some worthless loser on the net who I wouldn't hire to shine my shoes. Otherwise I'd hold you to account for that comment. Don't worry, you're safe, we just laugh at you people.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Please "hold me to account", I can't wait.

It should be clear to you by now that everyone on this site hates you and that you have not made a single true point that all of us already knew.

It also consistently amazes me how many "aristocrats" we get posting here who behave more crassly than prison inmates. Do you really think it us the custom of the rich and well-born to boast of their good fortune on websites and insult their inferiors? Is that how you were raised by your ducal family? My middle class family taught me better than that.

Petrus1

Reaction score
Well I mean while it stays relatively the same temp all year, i'm sure there are slight fluctuations, which are not good for long term storage... and I am not sure if the moisture levels are absolutely correct... either... does any of that really matter, or is that for purists
It doesn't matter. My cellar stays between 50-60F naturally and it's perfect.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score

slight fluctuations are fine, but you don't want consistently wide ranges of temperatures. Moisture levels only seem to matter in the very long term, just store the bottles on their sides and you should be fine.

Petrus1

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Please "hold me to account", I can't wait.

It should be clear to you by now that everyone on this site hates you and that you have not made a single true point that all of us already knew.

It also consistently amazes me how many "aristocrats" we get posting here who behave more crassly than prison inmates. Do you really think it us the custom of the rich and well-born to boast of their good fortune on websites and insult their inferiors? Is that how you were raised by your ducal family? My middle class family taught me better than that.

Yes, I'm sure that you were brought up to be a nice little prole. You're so self conscious and have such an inferiority complex that you think anyone who knows more than you is bragging. But you are right in one respect, we probably have more in common with the working classes than the dopey anal retentive middle class proles. And frankly, I don't care what anyone thinks of me.

Petrus1

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Some douchebag recently maintained one can only do this if one is licensed by the BATF.
teacha.gif

I have a licensed broker for any deals I make. I don't try to sell it on ebay like you
lol8[1].gif

tattersall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

First of all I'm loving this threak with Petrus1 on ignore - like the cool side of a pillow!

If you're cellaring for only a few years, you want only to maintain relatively constant temperatures - i.e. no major extremes. Again, over a short time horizon, the wine will provide the necessary moisture to the cork assuming you don't live in the desert with zero humidity. The cooler the better and ideally around 55F

When I was doing all the checks on my cellar I used a set of thermometers that also measure humidity over the course of a year - my cellar, in the basement and almost fully underground, does not vary by more than 2 degrees and humidity is high due to being in the pacific northwest. I'm confident I can lay things down for quite a few years.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Petrus1
Yes, I'm sure that you were brought up to be a nice little prole. You're so self conscious and have such an inferiority complex that you think anyone who knows more than you is bragging. But you are right in one respect, we probably have more in common with the working classes than the dopey anal retentive middle class proles. And frankly, I don't care what anyone thinks of me.

This part is rich.

You make four kinds of statements in this thread

1) Pathetic boasts ("my GF is 35 years younger than me")

2) Cheap insults ("loser" "prole" etc)

3) Errors (e.g., no Pomeral is ever 100% Merlot)

4) Banal observations that everyone already knows (In Burg, Grand Cru is higher than 1er Cru)

I am sure know more than me about something, but wine isn't it.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I have a licensed broker for any deals I make. I don't try to sell it on ebay like you
lol8[1].gif

The person you were offering to buy from does not have a license so you were knowingly attempting to enter into an illegal transaction, douchebag.
teacha.gif

Btw, carbonic maceration.

Petrus1

Reaction score
Originally Posted by indesertum
seriously? still?

i have to say if you are a sock puppet you are a most ingeniously crafted one.

and what the hell are you talking about? clos du marquis is leoville las cases's second wine

They're really all just barrel selections and the names for the chateau's 2nd wine and in some cases 3rd wine sometimes change.
The 3rd is now actually named Pauillac de Pichon Lalande, and the 2nd ,Pichon Longueville Comtesse de Lalande

Petrus1

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
The person you were offering to buy from does not have a license so you were knowingly attempting to enter into an illegal transaction, douchebag.
teacha.gif

Btw, carbonic maceration.

Broker handles both ends.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
They're really all just barrel selections and the names for the chateau's 2nd wine and in some cases 3rd wine sometimes change.
The 3rd is now actually named Pauillac de Pichon Lalande, and the 2nd ,Pichon Longueville Comtesse de Lalande

Didn't A2M have a for penchant statements like this?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads