• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Affordable, Stylish Suits in Tokyo

eviltwin

Reaction score
I have read a couple of threads on this subject but there were a couple years back.

I really love Suit Company so that will be my first choice but I cannot spend more than $400 to $500 for a suit but I like the Japanese slim, stylish cut for suits. I'm a 36 regular, 5'8" and 135 pounds, athletic build.

I have seen recommendations for the following: Ships, Beams, Orihica, Suit Select and United Arrows

But not being in Tokyo I don't know if any of those are in the price range I need.

Besides Suit Company, is there any outlet mall or chain store or individual store that would be a very strong bet?

Thanks in advance.

countcount

Reaction score
If not Tokyo, where do you live?

Is there an "F1" or "Aoyama" mens store near you?

Svenn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Azabu tailor will do MTM for less than $400... just dont get the suit too slim or you won't be able to move in it. Also make sure you get measured up by one of the older guys in one of their stores, not the young ones. I'm not sure if they'd be open to it, but I'd make a special request that the sleeves be sewn on at a 90 degree angle (as if your arms were outstretched) so you can be assured of proper mobility.

eviltwin

Reaction score
I live in Argentina, actually. Thanks for the replies. I think I need off-the-rack because I'm only going for three days.

MrInvariant

Reaction score
Originally Posted by eviltwin
I live in Argentina, actually. Thanks for the replies. I think I need off-the-rack because I'm only going for three days.

IMHO there is not much merit in buying OTR suits in Japan if you don't live here. Either it will be above your budget or crap quality. Anyway, Perfect Suit Factory should be in your price range but I can't say much about quality.

countcount

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MrInvariant
IMHO there is not much merit in buying OTR suits in Japan if you don't live here. Either it will be above your budget or crap quality. Anyway, Perfect Suit Factory should be in your price range but I can't say much about quality.

Actually, if you are looking for a slim fitting suit, you can get a good selection. The Japanese suit stores have a wide selection of fits, fabrics and designs in a large assortment of sizes. I picked up several suits when I was getting started for about $100/each.

Unlike the US you can get the jackets and pants as separates, so drop won't be much of an issue.

IIRC, they also will hem pants and make adjustments for a reasonable fee in-house and very quickly.

The two biggest problems are:
1. no large sizes. you won't really see sizes of US40/EU50 or larger.
2. you need to speak Japanese to make it work well.

MrInvariant

Reaction score
Originally Posted by countcount
I picked up several suits when I was getting started for about $100/each.

No offence, but those probably fall into the "crap quality" category... Probably not worth the trouble.

Trompe le Monde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
besides suits, you can get some shirts at Makers Shirts - Brooks Brothers quality level clothing with very tasteful conservative colors and patterns

items are actually made in Japan

check out the website at shirt.co.jp

countcount

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MrInvariant
No offence, but those probably fall into the "crap quality" category... Probably not worth the trouble.

It depends what OP is looking for. He may be looking for starter suits. If that is the case, they are much better than what you can find at H&M, Zara, Gap, BR or any similar store that doesn't specialize in suits--particularly for the price.

Makoto Chan

Reaction score
Aohama and Suit Company are places to buy a cheap suit. You get what you pay for - but the benefit of buying in Japan is that the average build is quite slim, so it sounds like they'll fit you well. It's much better than buying from a store like Men's Warehouse in the United States, but only because they're more likely to fit you better, not for the quality.

Store like Beams, Ships, United Arrows, and Tomorrowland sell higher quality suits, although in my opinion they're all terribly overpriced. Sports coats, for example, are generally at least 700 dollars US.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Svenn
I'm not sure if they'd be open to it, but I'd make a special request that the sleeves be sewn on at a 90 degree angle (as if your arms were outstretched) so you can be assured of proper mobility.

crazy.gif

MrInvariant

Reaction score
There are quite a few recommendations... It will be interesting to hear the OP's opinion after his trip!

neyus

Reaction score
Buying a suit from Japan is great for the shorter slim guy.There is so much to chose from. I am a size 42 with a 36 waist so found that I was on the larger end of scale so selection was very limited.

Some of the sizing might get some getting use to. I found that the large chain stores go buy a height measurement and then will have four different chest widths and drops ranging from the extremely slim to portly.

Tokyo isn't bargain basement but I found it better for suit shopping than a place like Hong Kong as the selection of brands in terms of breadth can't be matched in many countries.

Compared to what is available in Australia it appears to be better quality in terms of fabric for a fairly reasonable price. Places like suit company are great. Suits are mostly half canvassed for about the equivalent of $300.00 or so dollars. Even a store the equivalent of target offer MTM suits at $400-500. A MTM suit in Australia, manufactured off shore starts just under $2000.00 Most of the cheaper suits are made in China but are made to a very good standard. I would say probably as good as your non Golden Fleece Brooks Brothers suits. Usually suits have very lightly padded shoulders, slim fitting, feature working button holes, that type of thing.

If you go to a store that is slightly more upmarket than Suit Company such as Beams, United Arrows, etc you will see most of the clothing is made in Japan or Italy. The Japanese made clothing is usually of the highest quality and I believe it to be worth it. Some of the italian brands can become quite expensive especially when comparing the price to what would be available online or what can be purchased in the states. Sometimes its better to go for the more esoteric brands and buy based on fit and quality.

I think most people think that the clothing is expensive because they are buying items that are priced at thousands of yen. A 5900 thousand yen pure cotton shirt with crows feet stitched mother of pearl buttons might seem more expensive than buying a $100.00 shirt. Who knows?

CruiseControl

Reaction score
Originally Posted by neyus
I think most people think that the clothing is expensive because they are buying items that are priced at thousands of yen. A 59 thousand yen pure cotton shirt with crows feet stitched mother of pearl buttons might seem more expensive than buying a $100.00 shirt. Who knows?
59 thousand yen not only seems more expensive than hundred dollars, it actually is. Over six times more expensive, I think.

Unless you meant 5,900 JPY - and if you did, please tell who makes them, as I'm interested.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads