• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Canadian Styles

The PM

Reaction score
University student here looking for some good wardrobe staples. My first one is gonna a tall/long pea coat from J Crew (coming to Canada in 2011). Since I'm from the Great White North, a few of the US and international brands aren't here. Where can a tall guy like myself find good clothing?* My mall has RW & CO and MEXX so I might go to Toronto and suburbs to get what's good. *not big and tall...seriousy nothing fits me there and I'm a 6' 5" and skinny (should stress the 'AND' part). You think they launder money or something
laugh.gif

johnH123

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by The PM
University student here looking for some good wardrobe staples. My first one is gonna a tall/long pea coat from J Crew (coming to Canada in 2011).

Since I'm from the great white north, a few of the US and international brands aren't here. Where can a tall guy like myself find good clothing?* My mall has RW & CO and MEXX so I might go to Toronto and suburbs to get what's good.

*not big and tall...seriousy nothing fits me there and I'm a 6' 5" and skinny (should stress the 'AND' part). You think they launder money or something
laugh.gif

Ordering online is your only hope.

The PM

Reaction score
Originally Posted by johnH123
Ordering online is your only hope.

See...the issue is that pictures lie (colour being darker or whatever), size charts aren't equal everywhere and it's a hassle to return stuff.

Maybe I'm looking at it wrong...
confused.gif

asdf

Reaction score
1) learn your measurements/sizes and order online
2) Find decent men's stores*
3) Order MTM shirts online
4) Use mall stores sparsely (Jcrew, BR, etc)
5) ...
6) Profit

*Where are you located?

The PM

Reaction score
Originally Posted by asdf
1) learn your measurements/sizes and order online 2) Find decent men's stores* 3) Order MTM shirts online 4) Use mall stores sparsely (Jcrew, BR, etc) 5) ... 6) Profit *Where are you located?
Around the KW area. So what site (Canadian maybe) is for good MTM shirts? Honestly, I still don't know how to do measurements (link on how to do that well?). I read that places like Tip Top Tailor and Stars screw measurements up since they only deal with boxy clothing. *sigh* Must find slim fitting clothing
cloud.gif

johnH123

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by The PM
See...the issue is that pictures lie (colour being darker or whatever), size charts aren't equal everywhere and it's a hassle to return stuff.

Maybe I'm looking at it wrong...
confused.gif

You're in the KW area? Phhh...good luck.

Like I said, online shopping. It's trial and error at first and most stores that offer free return shipping can't do it for Canada. But once you nail the sizing with whatever online shops you like then you're good to go. It can be a crap shoot but a couple bucks here or there in shipping is worth it in the long run...at least until J Crew comes to town next year.

asdf

Reaction score
I use cottonwork (affiliate at the top of the page here) with great results. Shirts run in the 80-110 dollar range after shipping and duty. Some more tips:

The B&S forum is also your friend; ebay is a a friend and enemy.
Basically all the affiliates are good, check what they have to offer.
There are a few affiliates in the SW&D forum that are Canadian.

The PM

Reaction score
Originally Posted by johnH123
You're in the KW area? Phhh...good luck.

Like I said, online shopping. It's trial and error at first and most stores that offer free return shipping can't do it for Canada. But once you nail the sizing with whatever online shops you like then you're good to go. It can be a crap shoot but a couple bucks here or there in shipping is worth it in the long run...at least until J Crew comes to town next year.

Yeah...tri-cities suck. So let's say I know my measurements, what the difference if I get it in store? Are they online exclusive site with quality fitted clothing? Look like tall clothing is only found online.

Sites?

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maxwell's is coming to your area in January - I suggest a visit and get three shirts made: http://www.maxwellsclothiers.com/ KITCHENER MR. PAUL WONG will be visiting the following town on the listed dates. (PLEASE ASK HOTEL OPERATOR FOR MR. PAUL WONG'S SUITE). JANUARY 22ND, 23RD, 24TH, 25TH 2011 KITCHENER, ONT. HOLIDAY INN 30 Fairway Rd. S. Tel: (519) 893-1211 Fax: (519) 894-8518

The PM

Reaction score
Originally Posted by asdf
I use cottonwork (affiliate at the top of the page here) with great results. Shirts run in the 80-110 dollar range after shipping and duty. Some more tips: The B&S forum is also your friend; ebay is a a friend and enemy. Basically all the affiliates are good, check what they have to offer. There are a few affiliates in the SW&D forum that are Canadian.
I'll check cottonwork selection. Buy and sell is usually full of normal people (slim and tall...no where to be found). I was looking for a one stop shop for slim fitted items. I guess I should take my stuff to a tailor...
Originally Posted by TRINI
Maxwell's is coming to your area in January - I suggest a visit and get three shirts made: http://www.maxwellsclothiers.com/
Who's that...any reviews/pricing? Can't I just measure myself an order? Thanks for the response!

Bill Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
KW? I guess you're in witness protection
smile.gif
. There are a couple of options for you, namely drive to Toronto for the day, Cottonwork, Just White Shirts and Speir and MacKay for shirts, Banana Republic and the Gap have a Canadian portal now, so no duties and shopping in Canadian dollars. So is JCrew for sure coming to Canada in 2011? Edit[ Just had a look at their site blog, it looks like they are setting up a store in Toronto and I have an educated guess where they might set up.]

bellyhungry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To the OP,

You can buy some quality stuff from Brooks Brothers online. They ship to Canada using FedEx.

Their on-sales items are decently priced.

Just get registered so that they can send you discount/promo codes from time to time.

scypticalchymist

Reaction score
I'm also tall and thin (6'4 175) and find H&M shirts to fit quite well. If you're looking for better quality, I'm sure the MTM options mentioned above are a better option.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads